Any current info on perimeter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any current info on perimeter?

Post by Gear Jerker »

What are everyones thoughts on doing a Multi/IFR through Perimeter, as opposed to showing up having it done already? I understand that they hire from within...
---------- ADS -----------

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 126.75 »

I would suggest doing your IFR at Perimeter. Not only will you get to know people who work there but also Perimeter is one of the better schools to get your IFR done. Even if you don't land a job at Perimeter many people have gotten jobs later at fast air/Keewatin etc...

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

:?:

Hey Guys,

Regarding the Perimeter application. At the end of the application there is a section to attach your resume. The attachment must contain only one word doc, I gather I can put my references on a second page as well as listing those applicable in the employment history section. With regards to a cover letter howerver, Do you think it would be too much to include one as a front page to the document. I always keep them short and to the point, but I am wondering if Perimeter put the limit on number of documents and document size because a cover letter is overkill for them considering the number of applications they have.

Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

cheers
JP

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

I too am curious about working the ramp at Perimeter. I would be giving up a flying job to switch over to the ramp, which seems like a gamble to me. Anyone have an opinion on this? Potentially after a year, I could be right seat on a Metro, which is a lot farther than I would be without working the ramp.

This brings up a question though, I read that you are applying for a ramp position, and will be hired for the ramp position. From inside, you then apply for the pilot list. Is it guaranteed that you get your name on the pilot list? Could you be hired as a "rampie" and be stuck working on the ramp with no hopes of ever making it onto the pilot list?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

your date of hire on the ramp automatically puts you on the pilot wait list. It is possible to be a life time rampy if you don't take the initiative to study and be prepared for a sim eval while on the ramp. They aren't expecting you to fly the plane perfectly but they want a good systems knowledge as well as proper IFR skills. Some guys have been passed over on the ramp because they never studied and seemed to have an entitlement since since they were up next on the list only for the company to take someone that was behind them but has been working hard and was completely up on systems and aircraft knowledge.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

How much flying do the new guys usually do in a month once they start flying?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Flygal wrote:I have yet to find a better starting option then Perimeter.
iamnomaverick wrote:I don't think there is a better place to start a career to be honest.
While I can appreciate the positivity, how do you know there isn't a better place to start? How many 703/04 companies have you worked for? How do you know Air Sprint, Sunwest, Pacific Coastal, Georgian, Cariboo etc aren't better?

I wouldn't go around making the statement that Perimeter is the best place to start, because that's as bold a statement as I've ever seen and it's frankly a matter of personal opinion. I'm pretty sure an Ontarian would believe Georgian is the best place to start or a British Columbian would say CMA.

I don't mean to torpedo the thread, I'm happy to see some positivity here. Just bugs me when people make these statements when they know nothing (but MAYBE word of mouth) about other companies and their benefits to peoples careers.

Carry on :goodman:

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172pilot »

Do Pacific Coastal and Georgian have ramp/dispatch to FO opportunities similiar to CMA/Perimeter?

Flygal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flygal »

New pilots get lots of hours in their first month due to line-indoc. All working days are scheduled blocks to get through the line-indoc syllabus in a timely manner.

rooster wrote:
iamnomaverick wrote:I don't think there is a better place to start a career to be honest.
While I can appreciate the positivity, how do you know there isn't a better place to start? How many 703/04 companies have you worked for? How do you know Air Sprint, Sunwest, Pacific Coastal, Georgian, Cariboo etc aren't better?

I wouldn't go around making the statement that Perimeter is the best place to start, because that's as bold a statement as I've ever seen and it's frankly a matter of personal opinion. I'm pretty sure an Ontarian would believe Georgian is the best place to start or a British Columbian would say CMA.

I don't mean to torpedo the thread, I'm happy to see some positivity here. Just bugs me when people make these statements when they know nothing (but MAYBE word of mouth) about other companies and their benefits to peoples careers.

While I can see how you think I am biased and have no other real world knowledge, I assure you I do. Before I made my move to Winnipeg/Perimeter many years ago I did a lot of research. I looked at everything: bonds, health of company, salary (pilot and ramp), location, benefits, working contract, management, maintenance and quality of training. Perimeter came out on top. Even if you JUST compare salaries at all levels (F/O, Capt., Medevac), the green takes the cake. Add to that no bond at all, a EIC stock that keeps gaining, a comprehensive health and extended benefits plan, an air tight contract, A++ training and a management team that actually cares about you.

Researching other companies at the time was pretty easy. Salaries and benefits are pretty much aired out to dry on these boards, so gathering your knowledge base isn't hard.

I have college friends who fly for some of the others you mentioned. They all agree that Perimeter is all around the best bet. We have a lot of people from both Ontario and BC working for us. I guess they must be wrong too.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. Just research it if you don't believe me. The decisions early on in your career can change the course of your life.

I'm not trying to insult other companies either. Just comparisons.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Flygal wrote:New pilots get lots of hours in their first month due to line-indoc. All working days are scheduled blocks to get through the line-indoc syllabus in a timely manner.

rooster wrote:

While I can see how you think I am biased and have no other real world knowledge, I assure you I do. Before I made my move to Winnipeg/Perimeter many years ago I did a lot of research. I looked at everything: bonds, health of company, salary (pilot and ramp), location, benefits, working contract, management, maintenance and quality of training. Perimeter came out on top. Even if you JUST compare salaries at all levels (F/O, Capt., Medevac), the green takes the cake. Add to that no bond at all, a EIC stock that keeps gaining, a comprehensive health and extended benefits plan, an air tight contract, A++ training and a management team that actually cares about you.

Researching other companies at the time was pretty easy. Salaries and benefits are pretty much aired out to dry on these boards, so gathering your knowledge base isn't hard.

I have college friends who fly for some of the others you mentioned. They all agree that Perimeter is all around the best bet. We have a lot of people from both Ontario and BC working for us. I guess they must be wrong too.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. Just research it if you don't believe me. The decisions early on in your career can change the course of your life.

I'm not trying to insult other companies either. Just comparisons.
For the most part I agree with you. However, it is in fact a matter of personal opinion and it's based on the individual as much as the company. Georgian in fact does hire low time guys. My sim partner had 300 hours. All from his college. So he is in fact starting here and for him, being an Ontarian, he see's no better opportunity.

I do know a couple guys from Perimeter and one f/o that's now with us seemed to enjoy her time. I would definitely recommend that place (though I have no experience working there) to low timers looking to kick start their careers. But there are also other opportunities. As common sense would indicate, do your research.

Good positive thread ps.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

I have an accounting degree and was wondering about opportunities to work in the office (ie accounting dept etc) while waiting for a pilot position to open up?

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

Pretty much any job at Perimeter can get you on the pilot hiring list as far as I know.

callsign15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by callsign15 »

I Have an Interview on Aug. 21st, any tips or advice before I go into it. Its for a ramp/cargo position in Thompson.

All help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks Guys!

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

anyone know what the interview is like for a ramp position?

metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

It's just a typical HR style interview.

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BEFAN5 »

"Tell me about a time you were sad at work" etc etc etc.

RhumbLine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RhumbLine »

rooster wrote:

British Columbian here who has worked for Pasco on the ramp.
1. Pacific Coastal is one of the best companies to work for, but not as a starting option. They've only ever taken like 2 guys from the Ramp. So amazing company, not to start. They want you to have your hours to fly the 1900 or Saab.

2. No British Columbians believe CMA is that great. The wait time is crazy long and paired with the low income as an FO after finally waiting 2 years is embarrassing.

Can't comment on Georgian though.

Ramped
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ramped »

an air tight contract, A++ training and a management team that actually cares about you.

[/quote]

Pffft! What a laugh. :rolleyes:

Jojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jojo »

Good evening,
Pffft! What a laugh.
Could you develop please ?

thanks

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

Hello,

I'm hoping to find someone with recent or current information and/or experience in regards to working a ground position towards a flight positions. If they would please PM me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Return to “Employment Forum”