Bearskin vs Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Bearskin vs Georgian

Post by fish4life »

how far is the georgian salary going to go in Toronto? vs how far the bearskin salary will go in t-bay or red lake. Also a minimum guarantee of 100 credit hours at Georgian? thats insane most company's start paying OT over 80-85 credits so keep that in mind as well your wage per hours worked would be much lower at Georgian than at the Bear.
---------- ADS -----------

pilotman15
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotman15 »

Ill clear things up here.

Firstly, Bearskin bases are Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Waterloo, and a small base in Sioux Lookout (no Red Lake base).

Bearskin Travel Benefits for Pilots: Full Jump seat program with a load of airlines (including porter, WJ, AC, Sunwing, Transat, etc etc) and the full ZED fare program for family.

Pay: New year 1 FO pay is just over 30/credit I believe with a roughly $4.00 a credit increase for year 2 FO wage. Based on minimum monthly guarantee of 80 with most pilots going over that in the winter and right around the 80 in the summer.

Per Diems: Now $2.25 per hour away from base on pairings with yearly increases to that number over the course of the new contract and a single day pairing per diem cap of $20.00.

The majority of the overnights are done by Thunder Bay crews and therefore more per diems for those crews.

My understanding is that with the per diems included most year 1 FO's come in right around the 40k mark and therefore year 2 FO's come in in the low 40s.

New contract sees a lot of people getting a few days extra off above the guaranteed 12 off per month. Any other questions feel free to PM.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

fish4life wrote:how far is the georgian salary going to go in Toronto? vs how far the bearskin salary will go in t-bay or red lake. Also a minimum guarantee of 100 credit hours at Georgian? thats insane most company's start paying OT over 80-85 credits so keep that in mind as well your wage per hours worked would be much lower at Georgian than at the Bear.
While this is a good point, I'm averaging 50 hours a month. I still get paid for 100. I would imagine at Bearskin you're probably flying close to the 80 or more. Just a guess. Point is, I work half the amount I get paid for. I'd much rather work the schedule I have, than do 90 just to bank 10 hours OT pay. I'm also not in it for the hours anymore. Again, to each their own. The pay here isn't worth bragging about, and I won't argue to defend it. But Georgian offers as close to an airline lifestyle and system as you will get in this country short of going to Jazz, AC, WJ, Porter etc. So I guess it depends on what you're after. If it's pay, you may want to look elsewhere. If it's lifestyle and benefits, you'll do just fine here.

One more note, people wonder how it's possible to live in Toronto on $28,800 year. Well, just ask the 50+ F/O's we have here. Hell, I did it on $28,600 in Vancouver when I was working my last job. You just have to make some short term sacrifices in spending habits (unless you're already thrifty). Either way, you can't go wrong with either or. I'm sure Bearskin is a great place to work, just like Georgian is. It just depends on what you're after.

CS01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CS01 »

The perdiems are based on time away from base (not duty hours). Ends up being about 600 a month (in YHZ). Halifax and Calgary guys work MUCH less than YYZ, still payed 100 credits. There is also not much, if any, wait for upgrade at Georgian. Once you have the required hours, you'll be captain. Meaning more money sooner.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

flying4dollars,

you should ask the guys based in YYZ what they think about pay, schedule, stress on the job and how much downtime they have.

Very big difference between YYC/YHZ and YYZ bases.....but you had to work in Toronto to realize that, so I don't blame you for being ill informed.

Regrads

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

ikarus wrote:flying4dollars,

you should ask the guys based in YYZ what they think about pay, schedule, stress on the job and how much downtime they have.

Very big difference between YYC/YHZ and YYZ bases.....but you had to work in Toronto to realize that, so I don't blame you for being ill informed.

Regrads
Ikarus,

If you check up on the posts I've made regarding Georgian, you'll notice I've already acknowledged the difference in life between Toronto and Calgary/Halifax. Life in YYC is very different and much more laid back. I did my line Indoc in YYZ, so I'm well aware of the difference. I can assure you I'm not 'ill informed'.

Cheers

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

flying4dollars wrote: Ikarus,

If you check up on the posts I've made regarding Georgian, you'll notice I've already acknowledged the difference in life between Toronto and Calgary/Halifax. Life in YYC is very different and much more laid back. I did my line Indoc in YYZ, so I'm well aware of the difference. I can assure you I'm not 'ill informed'.

Cheers
Fair enough,

as long as guys asking about the two companies understand that it's a BIG difference if you are YYZ based vs YHZ/YYC. And I guess that working for the Bear in TBay would be a significant lifestyle difference then being based elsewhere in Bear's system. Just a guess...

Cheers

Return to “Employment Forum”