Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by tbaylx »

KenoraPilot wrote:Just wondering what life is like as a newbie 737 F/O. I currently live in YYC and would love to get YYC basing, but is it possible to commute to YEG on a low seniority number? I really don't have any intention of moving to YEG. How about the pay ($3700/mth gross), what do you take home every 2 weeks after taxes before per diem? Average hours of flying a year? Is it over all a good place to work? People happy? Just wanting to get a pulse on the place, because doesn't seem like there is much conversation about it. Does anyone think layoffs will happen at Canadian North with this First Air take over?

I really appreciate the information, thank you!

Cheers
KP
Life for a new 737 F/O isn't bad at all. The issue is getting through that first 18 months of low wages, a problem that seems to plague airlines in Canada. It's almost as if they treat it as an apprentice job for the first few years despite the fact that they hire people with years of experience. Right now months 1-18 take home about $1500 every two weeks after tax and before perdiems. Perdiems vary depending on what pairings you are doing, its a TAFB system..figure $500/month ish on the Boeing. At 18 months the take home goes up $1000/month, and another $500/month 6 months after that. Essentially you suffer for 18 months, but by the end of your second year the pay is in the $70K a year range.

I would guess around 600 hours/year of actual flying time, depending on what pairings you do. If you were trying to commute from YYC it's certainly doable if you don't mind some driving. You can try and ask for multi day trips to avoid the one day pairings in YEG. Out scheduling system is very archaic, and not at all sophisticated so it make it a bit more difficult as we are only able to bid for days off. We live in hope that we eventually get a decent computerized bid system. At the moment our Calgary Base is expanding, so there are positions opening up for internal movement there all the time. No idea how long it would take you before you could be based there though. I don't know of any other airline that you can be at home as much if that is what you desire. Plenty of one day pairings that get you home almost every night. A good variety of flying if you're looking for multi day layovers as well.

The million dollar question is IF the 7F buyout happens how it will affect both companies. Lets put it this way, I've never heard of a merger that has gone well for pilots. Someone is always unhappy. There are the types at both companies that just want to get themselves ahead at the expense of the other group, but at the end of the day if we can't come up with a reasonable solution to both groups an arbitrator will, and I view that as a failure of professionals to act like one. Not sure at all if it would involve layoffs, at the moment I can say we are short pilots and expanding/hiring so I would suspect that will continue for awhile, merger or not. Your guess is as good as mine, and many of us would like the same answers. No information at all is forthcoming from the company though, only rumors making people nervous.

Overall most people are happy here. There are some issues, like with any airline. The people you work with are great, the flying is interesting and challenging. If you're looking for exotic layover destinations in the sun, flying shiny new equipment then this isn't the place for you. Some pilots treat this as a stepping stone to get on with WJ or AC. I argue that is shortsighted and that its a career airline once you get in the left seat of the Boeing, however some pilots want for whatever reasons to cross multiple time zones in the middle of the night flying wide body aircraft for a 24 hour layyover somewhere "exotic" only to spend most of the time sleeping in a hotel in order to turn around and come back the other way. How long an upgrade here takes really depends on the state of the economy and the 7F merger though. If the upgrades slow down there will need to be an increase in the F/O pay scales at the upper end in order to keep guys here longer term in my opinion.
---------- ADS -----------

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Thank you very much, that was awesome! Really shed some light on some stuff. Just trying to weigh my options and figure out whats best in my next step. Cheers KP

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Good news for 5t guys. The merger is not going to happen. Apparently 5T doesn't have the money. I think they wanted to sell the Hercs off right away to pay for it. Anyways...maybe a merger with Air Inuit is more likely. Besides...those Makkivik BoD members need their million dollar bonuses for the occasional meetings they attend.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2008/12/15/a-ti ... g-bonuses/

NEWS: Nunavut October 03, 2012 - 3:42 pm
Makivvik kills idea of First Air sale to Norterra

Nunavut-Nunavik airline to stay put
NUNATSIAQ NEWS

The Makivvik Corp. will not sell First Air to Norterra or any other buyer, Makkivik’s board said in a statement Oct. 3

“After a rigorous review of its strategic options, the board confirmed its decision to retain full ownership of this important investment,” Makivvik said.

At the same time, Makivvik said their president and chief executive officer, Kris Dolinki, will resign his position as of Oct. 12, for personal reasons and “to spend more time with his young family.”

Dolinki has served in First Air’s top job since December 2011, when he succeeded Scott Bateman.

“For more than two years, Mr. Dolinki assisted the board with a rigorous review of our strategic alternatives. Kris had committed to see that project to its conclusion and with that behind us, it is time for new leadership to guide the future direction and success of First Air,” said Jobie Tukkiapik, president of Makivvik Corp.

Chris Ferris, First Air’s vice president of marketing, will now act as interim president and CEO while a special committee of Makivvik’s board will search for a permanent president and CEO, the company said.

This past spring, reliable sources told Nunatsiaq News that Norterra, the 50-50 Inuvialuit and Nunavut Inuit owner of First Air rival Canadian North, was in talks with Makivvik to discuss a purchase or merger.

But officials with Norterra would not confirm that such a deal was under discussion.

Makivvik, the birthright organization for Nunavik Inuit beneficiaries of the James Bay land claims agreement (which has also used the spelling Makivik), has owned First Air since 1990 and operated it as a wholly-owned subsidiary.

The firm now employs more than 1,000 people, about 450 of whom live in northern Canada.

Starting in 2010, First Air formed joint-venture partnerships with two Nunavut birthright corporations: Sakku Corp. and Qikiqtaaluk Corp., to create the Sakku First and Qikiqtani First regional airlines.

This past June, the two companies announced they had won about 95 per cent of the Government of Nunavut’s air cargo business.

In its Oct. 3 statement, Makkivik said its board “reaffirmed its commitment to First Air’s strategic joint ventures with Sakku First Aviation Limited and Qikiqtani First Aviation Limited.”

And Tukkiapik said the Makivvik board and First Air’s management will go to work on “several strategic initiatives with a renewed focus on working with our joint venture partners.”

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Even better news for 7F guys! BTW... 5T wasn't looking to buy 7F, Norterra was.

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

Kind of good news for everyone.

I understand that there wasn't going to be a marger but 7F was to be parted out and shut down.

Doesn't change the basics of the environment though- neither company is raking in the dough right now.

But... Game on buddies!

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

The more interesting development, in my opinion, is that while Norterra was pretending to go through the process of buying First Air, Qikiqtaaluk Corporation and Sakku Investments Corporation (First Air partners) quietly went out and 'acquired' Nunasi- 50 percent owners of Norterra. Convoluted, yes but interesting because of the history of bad blood between Nunasi and QC and Sakku.

Normally that wouldn't affect anything except for some reason Canadian North and Calm Air bid all government of Nunavut travel through Nunasi and the contract is with Nunasi. That means that the door is open to QC and Sakku transfering 75 percent of Canadian North and Calm Air's Nunavut passengers to 7F. Long shot but possible.

Still a major shakeup to come, I think.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

thirdtimecharm wrote:The more interesting development, in my opinion, is that while Norterra was pretending to go through the process of buying First Air, Qikiqtaaluk Corporation and Sakku Investments Corporation (First Air partners) quietly went out and 'acquired' Nunasi- 50 percent owners of Norterra. Convoluted, yes but interesting because of the history of bad blood between Nunasi and QC and Sakku..
Any press releases to support this?

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

If you look at the story this week about Nunasi's presentation to KIA in Cambay it is pretty much all there.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/a ... _overhaul/

There was one previously about the management change at Nunasi but can't seem to find it.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Anyone gotten a call back for SIM EVAL from this last round of interviews? The first week of October? Cheers KP

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

I'm waiting to hear back myself. Curious if anyone has heard anything.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything.

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

Thanks. I could have sworn she said she would be contacting us either way, and as early as the next Tuesday (after the holiday Mon) about a date for a sim eval.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Yup still nothing, sounded like she was frustrated at the organizing of the SIM EVAL. So I'm not surprised its taking a while.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Well, sorry to say that on the other site, they have re-posted the positions again.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

They could very well be new positions, i wouldn't get my panties twisted quite yet. Quite a bit of hiring going on at the moment, so patience is in order if you're waiting for a call.

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flap_Operator »

Thats aviation :P it always takes much longer than expected to get a positive call back, and always comes when you least expect it.... Only PFO.s come rapidly :lol:

Keep in mind... No news is good news loll... To some extent haha

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Has anyone who has interviewed at the beginning of October heard anything yet?

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

I see they have another ad up for Dash 8 Capts

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85047

Zako
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zako »

Well, Dash 8 rated and still no call. So who knows what they are looking for?

CFIT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CFIT »

Sim evals were done last week and this week, and job offers were being made this week as well.

Return to “Employment Forum”