Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rickyb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by Rickyb »

Any info on how strict Canadian North is on the requirement of ATPL for F/Os?
---------- ADS -----------

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

tbaylx wrote:
penismightier wrote:I'm curious about the schedule at Canadain North. Is it resonable for someone to commute?? Also, are standby and jumpseat available with other carriers?
The answer to that is it depends...where are you commuting from and what fleet.

If you're on the Dash it's typically 8 day pairings twice a month in YFB, so a commute is quite easily doable. On the Boeing there are many more 1 day pairings and some reserve days (mixed blocks) so a commute from any distance away from YEG is tough. There are a few guys doing it from the West coast, and Saskatoon but much further away i think your lifestyle would suffer. There is no computerized bidding system in place at the moment, everything is still done by hand so your ability to pick specific pairings and build a commuting schedule is limited to how much time a person can spend on your schedule. The result is usually a less than ideal commuting schedule. It can be done, but you are going to spend some time away from home doing it.
Why don't they just do two weeks on two weeks off. Less flying of people back and forth. It would be a lot nicer for us.

Last edited by Dh8Classic on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Dh8Classic wrote:
tbaylx wrote:
penismightier wrote:I'm curious about the schedule at Canadain North. Is it resonable for someone to commute?? Also, are standby and jumpseat available with other carriers?
The answer to that is it depends...where are you commuting from and what fleet.

If you're on the Dash it's typically 8 day pairings twice a month in YFB, so a commute is quite easily doable. On the Boeing there are many more 1 day pairings and some reserve days (mixed blocks) so a commute from any distance away from YEG is tough. There are a few guys doing it from the West coast, and Saskatoon but much further away i think your lifestyle would suffer. There is no computerized bidding system in place at the moment, everything is still done by hand so your ability to pick specific pairings and build a commuting schedule is limited to how much time a person can spend on your schedule. The result is usually a less than ideal commuting schedule. It can be done, but you are going to spend some time away from home doing it.
Why don't they just do two weeks on two weeks off. Less flying of people back and forth. How many days off do you get. between 8 day pairings.
To answer both those questions...I don't know and i don't know. Better to ask during your interview, they'd probably have more info.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Rickyb wrote:Any info on how strict Canadian North is on the requirement of ATPL for F/Os?
In the past it hasn't been an issue, still people here without the ATPL..though they had the exams written. Not sure if that is still the case.

After Dark
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by After Dark »

Anyone have a heads up to what the interview is all about for the Dash 8 , technical/behavioural/IFR etc? pm me if you dont want to post it here.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

So did anyone get a PFO since they called guys for simevals and offers?

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

Nothing here. I did hear of one candidate getting a call shortly after sim, but nothing on my end.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

In the last round of interviews I was told there would be call backs for positions if you didn't make the first round of hiring. Anybody expect a call back after the latest posting?

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

I got an email saying there was going to be something in the works in the new year, but that's it. I haven't received any bad news, but no good news either. I'm not sure what to make of my chances anymore.

Anyone else have anything to report???

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I know we will be hiring and have heard as many as 20 this year.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

I see that CDN North is hiring again.....expansion or people leaving ?

Didn't their prez bail a few months ago, and there was some news about financial concerns last fall.....what's the latest ?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Kosiw wrote:I see that CDN North is hiring again.....expansion or people leaving ?

Didn't their prez bail a few months ago, and there was some news about financial concerns last fall.....what's the latest ?
1- Both

2- Yes previous prez left.... has been replaced with an new and more efficient model who understands operations.

3- Rumours of 5t's financial demise have been greatly exaggerated.

4- Latest is we're contracting out a bunch of work because we can't get aircraft and crew hired fast enough. 20+ pilots to be hired this year, both on the D8 and B737. Several more -300's arriving as well, with hopefully the first -300 combi sometime this year as well.

Nice place to work, and you aren't competing in the scheduled airline "race to the bottom" T&C degradation.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Good to hear things are going well at 5T.

Check your PM's.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

C'est la vie.

Glad to hear things are moving right along :)

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

So the incoming 300's are 1 for 1 replacements of the 200's except for the gravel kit machines ?

Are more D8's coming ? I wonder how efficient it is running a 737 to places like YCO-YCB vs 7F's ATR's ?

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

brooks wrote:Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.
Brooks, this is not a shot at you, but: what a classy way to treat professional pilots who've expressed an interest in joining the organization. For a small industry where everybody knows everybody, some employers are thick as planks.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Kosiw wrote:So the incoming 300's are 1 for 1 replacements of the 200's except for the gravel kit machines ?

Are more D8's coming ? I wonder how efficient it is running a 737 to places like YCO-YCB vs 7F's ATR's ?
The -200's are supposed to be getting replaced with the -300's eventually, but at the moment they're too busy to retire anything so the -300's are fleet expansion. No idea if there are more D8's, haven't heard anything on that front, so I doubt it.

YCO-YCB was supposed to be a temporary Boeing route, but as I understand it the communities don't want to give up the jet service now that they have it, so there is some sort of agreement to continue operating the Boeing there for the time being. The freight pays for some of it as its a combi run, but I somehow doubt we're making anything on that particular run and would be happy to pull off the Boeing to use elsewhere if they could.

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

Hey Brooksie:

:rolleyes:

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

brooks wrote:Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.
Sorry to hear that brooks. I doubt that was a planned way of doing things as we've got some pretty good people working our HR. I doubt they would actually lie about a broken sim, if you've seen the B737 sim that we use in YVR then you'd know it probably was broken :)

I believe HR originally was telling people everyone would get a sim eval that interviewed, but that was before they consulted with operations/training. It makes little sense to use sim time to evaluate someone that the hiring team doesn't think would be a good candidate after an interview. If you are/were promised a sim eval then it was in error and current policy i think is to only sim eval people who pass the interview portion. It only makes sense that way for both parties IMHO. The left and right hands aren't always in the closest of communication at 5T and its unfortunate and frustrating when stuff like that happens.

I would hope that HR will be contacting anyone who was interviewed regardless if they were successful or not to inform them. If its been a couple of weeks and you've heard nothing i'd suggest contacting them to get an update.

Return to “Employment Forum”