Antonov AN-2

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Antonov AN-2

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Barney - I've never flown a radial that didn't oil
the airplane down!

As far as crosswinds go - just land it across the
runway. Try to stall it at touchdown.
---------- ADS -----------

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

I'm glad to hear that AN2 has found a new home. Does anyone know what the plans are for her?

SBourdon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SBourdon »

The Alexandria airport is 2000 ft of grass right in a vertical hole between Ottawa- Montreal and Mirabel. The only place West of Montreal that can climb up to 12000 ft for skydiving. The place sort of shut down because of a lack of volume but different story. They would like to take up the skydiving again with the AN-2. And considering the limitations of the airfield, this seems like the only plane able to do the job. They are going to request a special certification that way. Even with a full load it takes off on very little where as other available models, you take off... but barely and your fingers prints are then molded into what ever materials the yoke is made of. (There have been a few that didn't quite make it as well... trust me I know. )

They hope to attract enough people with the novelty of the plane to get the skydiving in full swing again.
First step I believe is, they are planning on recovering the plane in ceconite, (any volunteers write me I'll put you in contact) and get it air worthy.

SBourdon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SBourdon »

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

SBourdon wrote:The Alexandria airport is 2000 ft of grass right in a vertical hole between Ottawa- Montreal and Mirabel. The only place West of Montreal that can climb up to 12000 ft for skydiving. The place sort of shut down because of a lack of volume but different story. They would like to take up the skydiving again with the AN-2. And considering the limitations of the airfield, this seems like the only plane able to do the job. They are going to request a special certification that way. Even with a full load it takes off on very little where as other available models, you take off... but barely and your fingers prints are then molded into what ever materials the yoke is made of. (There have been a few that didn't quite make it as well... trust me I know. )

They hope to attract enough people with the novelty of the plane to get the skydiving in full swing again.
First step I believe is, they are planning on recovering the plane in ceconite, (any volunteers write me I'll put you in contact) and get it air worthy.
Going to be a long climb, not sure but it took us 10 minutes to get to 4000ft or so when we dropped the jumpers at CYND this summer and we only had a 1/2 load. Of course its comfy in there and if you get thirsty there is always the vodka cabinet!

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Dec 01, 2012

Photo from http://www.airliners.net
Photographer - Sergey Riabsev

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

I wonder if these folks are having a buyer's remorse...?

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=151499
26-DEC-2012

The pilot and copilot had bought the a/c and had started the first leg of the flight flight towards Arizona, USA when all instruments failed (electrical failure). They carried out a controlled forced landing (with engine power) in a field close to E20 close to Åkers Styckebruk, Strängnäs, Södermanland. No damage to the a/c and the occupants.
Pic of the aircraft taken in 2006:

romant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romant »

Hi Dave.
Have you already got you dream come true? As I can see this thread is unattended almost a year.
viewtopic.php?p=740258#p740258
Has anyone on the Forum flown one?
Yes ,I have flown this airplane for several years (3500h). I did almost everything that AN2 is capable for, from carrying passengers to crop dusting ( 1200 kilos of fertilizers or 1500L of liquid chemicals), cargo, mail and so on and can speak out only positively on it.
I can not agree with Barney: viewtopic.php?p=740292#p740292
Hi Dave: This Old Curmudgeon has flown one a couple of times..FBR used to be based at ZBB. It is one Big Ugly Fat F$%^&^R with braking system designed by an idiot Brit...like many other Russian machines, the brakes are air pressure, hand operated and you really have to get the sequence right or you'll end up in the weeds.

It is not a pleasant aircraft to fly.
Regards
Roman

lsv021
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lsv021 »

Hello everyone,

It was interesting to read impressions of Canadian Pilots about Antonov An-2 experience.

What do you think about if engine ASh-62IR had modernization which ensures safe and reliable operation of the engine using the automotive gasoline with an octane number 82.0 accordingly to the motor method, without loss of capacity, resource performance or the risk of pistons burnout.

Eugene Lavrov
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eugene Lavrov »

Wow! You guys rock!
I am not a pilot, but AME, was servicing these AN-2’s in Far North Region of Russia for 6 years!
It was a blast to read your posts, but my God, how could you possibly operate this plane in Canada without having a truck load of spare parts, starting from new piston pings (it consumes lots of oil which leads to oily spark plugs and engine vibration), cylinders, exhaust sections (cracking), air valves (steering and brakes)… list can go on and on and on… Never mind sets of special tools as regular tools will be useless for, let’s say, exhaust sections or intake sections replacement, or special operation to clean exhaust valves from burning oil deposits…
All I can say is WOW!
Anyway, good luck to all of you!
Eugene.
Eugene.lavrov@kirchhoff-automotive.com

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

I only recently got to do a little maintenance on one at work.

Apparently all you need to reinstall the interior is a flathead screwdriver and some profanity. Haven't done any engine work on it yet but the rest has been more enjoyable than some of it's smaller Western cousins.

Eugene Lavrov
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eugene Lavrov »

Well, interior maintenance is not the biggest concern at all. Wait for something bigger! Hope profanity will work out for you!

romant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romant »

lsv021 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 pm
What do you think about if engine ASh-62IR had modernization which ensures safe and reliable operation of the engine using the automotive gasoline with an octane number 82.0 accordingly to the motor method, without loss of capacity, resource performance or the risk of pistons burnout.
Hi lsv021. As I can remember the Ash62 IR (АШ-62 ИР ) likes gasoline of 91 octane (Б91). I never tried to fly using the automotive gasoline but I drove a car using Б91. It seems to me Б91 produces more heat.
What did you mean saying:"had modernization which ensures safe and reliable operation"?

lsv021
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lsv021 »

romant wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm
lsv021 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 pm
Hi lsv021. As I can remember the Ash62 IR (АШ-62 ИР ) likes gasoline of 91 octane (Б91). I never tried to fly using the automotive gasoline but I drove a car using Б91. It seems to me Б91 produces more heat.
What did you mean saying:"had modernization which ensures safe and reliable operation"?
Hi, sorry for the long silence.
To be honest I don't know all technical details and so on. My father works in Ukrainian local Air company which also involved in maintenance, repair, overhaul, etc. CEO of this company (also certified pilot and engineer) developed this engine modernization. My father told me this about couple years ago in few word, I was impressed. It's a lot more cost efficient to operate and maintain aircraft while using this improvement and automotive fuel. In case you will not lose in technical performance and so on, of course. But as I know this modernisation was tested a number times (not only in Ukraine / their own aircrafts).
Basically I was interested to hear what Canadian pilots / engineers think about this for possible development to the Canadian market.

P.S. it was personally my initiative, not related to advertising, etc.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Duplicate

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
romant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romant »

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Neat video. Are the brakes pneumatic?

romant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romant »

Pneumatic.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Just obtaining a canadian type certificate is a nightmare in itself. Congratulations on your hard work.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”