Where's the best place for a family - Summer Float Job?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Where's the best place for a family - Summer Float Job?

Post by cloudrunner »

So I'm thinking a bush job for the summer of 2013 would satisfy some longing on my part.

The thing is, I don't want to go somewhere that will make my wife and 3 year old go koo-koo for cocopuffs.

Any suggestions who I should be bugging to get a seat that would be family-friendly?

Lodges? Great little towns? Particularly good employers?

Appreciate any input.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Where's the best place for a family - Summer Float Job?

Post by NAT2 »

cloudrunner wrote:So I'm thinking a bush job for the summer of 2013 would satisfy some longing on my part.

The thing is, I don't want to go somewhere that will make my wife and 3 year old go koo-koo for cocopuffs.

Any suggestions who I should be bugging to get a seat that would be family-friendly?

Lodges? Great little towns? Particularly good employers?

Appreciate any input.
Cheers.
I'll drop you a facebook note, slick. With your experience, you should have pick of the litter. Yellowknife was my first thought but NW Ontario has its gems too.

Relic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Relic »

Round Lake :lol:

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Kenora Air was looking for beaver drivers a couple times last summer

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

There will be jobs out there no doubt. What I am looking for is something more.

I am looking for a a place where the flying (airplanes) is/are outstanding, the employers are cool and the environment is conducive to chilling with my wife and boy after work and not feeling like we are counting the days till we get the duck out of fodge.

I've done the coast thing and it was great but it's not bush flying. I would prefer to wear work boots and jeans and not have 4 frequency changes on a 12 minute flight.

I like flying tree-top looking for moose and bear. I like some of the mud puddles that you get sent to during moose season. I like fuelling my own airplane and pumping my own floats. I like being done by noon some days and reeling in a few pickies from the honey hole on the way home. I like tying shit to the outside of my airplane believe it or not.

But at the end of the day, if you have to live in a place that drives you nuts for 5 months or work for people who have long since gone to the dark-side, it just ain't worth it, not to me anyways. I'll go do something else.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who would benefit from this discussion. By all accounts, there are fewer and fewer seasoned float drivers around who would come back to Canada/floats for one of the sweet gigs. 8)

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Nestor Falls, Ontario

CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

I would suggest atikokan aero or sapawe air! Great places in the summer!

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Fort Simpson...

If you like tying shit to the floats and flying through/over mountains.

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

Thanks for the replies.
I shall avoid anyplace with Fort as the first part of the name though..

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Chapleau Air. OOPs, you said not the dark side. Sorry! Hahaha. Cocrane Air is one option.

lastchance
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lastchance »

What about the wet coast but north..Rupert or QCIslands?

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

Towns with Fort eh?

Flying in fantastic places that allow you to live in fantastic places. If the Nahanni moutains, Virginia Falls, Cirque of Unclimbables, prime hunting and pickeral fishing were right outside a place that didn't start with Fort, you'd be making a hell of a lot more radio calls then crossing the pond to the harbour. Maybe I won't make it back to the fort for a cold one at the sub arctic with the best Dark Side crew i've met and I'll stay the night at the Little Doctor Lake cabin where I've got a bottle hidden under the floorboards. We'll keep our gems of float flying jobs thank you very much.
All in good humour, best of luck in your search and enjoy the winter gents.

Dean and Dave
Simpson Air

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

There's no doubt that flying in the rocks is awe-inspiring. I spent a few weeks based at 3500' this year and it is really something to behold, there are few things I have enjoyed more than admiring glaciers from 9000 feet in a Beaver.

But that's just the selfish side of it.

The guy there was wound tighter than a nun's knickers but I shouldn't complain because I was warned ahead of time that he was difficult, I figured I could stick it out for the sake of the "awe" and "beauty" but I was wrong. I am trying not to make that mistake again.

There are beautiful places to fly all across the country but it's more important to find balance if I am going to bother dragging my family to a Fort or anywhere else. You obviously take pride in your operation and I am sure that it is well worth the trip, as I am sure there are lots of single (and other) guys that will give their left marble to go to Fort Simpson. I wish them all the best.

I have seen my fair share of diverse scenery from the left seat of a seaplane. If it's going to continue to be a viable occupation for me, I need to make smart decisions about who I work for and how it affects my family if that is also going to remain viable. :wink:

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Whitehorse, Yukon has 2 or 3 float operators. Nice place for the family.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Seasonal bush jobs are incompatible with having a family. At least in the context you're obviously looking for, especially if you are willing to rule out options willy-nilly based on the name of the town. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Sorry to be the buzz-kill.

cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

shimmydampner wrote:Seasonal bush jobs are incompatible with having a family. At least in the context you're obviously looking for, especially if you are willing to rule out options willy-nilly based on the name of the town. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Sorry to be the buzz-kill.
No buzz to be killed. I find it interesting that you have an all-ecompasing knowledge of every operation in Canada though. Personally, I think you are wrong. I'm not jaded enough to think that there are no operators that run floatplanes, within a couple hours drive of a reasonable city with decent owners.

The Fort comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, not a complete show-stopper. After 18 years in the industry, I realize that there is give and take when it comes to the job, I would just like to find the best possible option. It's a long winter and a little research can go a long way.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Well obviously I don't have knowledge of each and every operator, but it's the nature of the beast. Think about it, your checklist includes: must be within a couple hours drive of a city, must have a relaxed boss, awesome flying, can't be on the coast, can't be working all day every day, and the location has to have something to keep the wife and kid happy. Also, we could probably safely infer that since you have (I assume) significant experience and you're supporting a family on seasonal wages, you're expecting a decent paycheck. I think you might find something that checks most of those boxes, but you'd be hard pressed to find one that checks them all. Sure, you can find a job that pays $10,000+ per month, the flying could be amazing, might have a great boss, but it will come with a tradeoff in that you will be working your bag off for 12-14 hours a day whenever the weather is even remotely decent, and you may or may not be near anywhere civilized. On the other hand, you may find something in a good location that doesn't require you to time out every 30, but it won't pay enough to support a family for a year.
I don't think that that perfect seasonal job exists unless you're unattached, and if it does, you've got to think that someone else is already hanging onto it for dear life. I wish you all the best in your search though. I'm sure you will find a very good job.

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

There are perfect family jobs out there..I've been doing quite well at them..I found ,now though,school is a bigger problem.Before school started ,the whole family would go north for the summer and have an awsome time.I'd be home everynight,most afternoons and more time than not,home in time for brunsh.Now that school is in ,the family can only come for July and August..You still have a few years to go before that problem..I found lodges to be the best...I always got plenty of time off..work hard for a strecth,then take a long break away..good for the family and shopping for your wife...Make sure the owner doesn't have a kid that is wants to be a pilot and he is of the age...that never works so well.If you take a lodge job that deals with outposts,you pretty much know your shedule,and don't have to worry about walk -ins wanting to go to Cat Lake.to screw up the day...I just found a new one,cause of the kid at the last one,and I'm sure it will be great..I also make enough to support us in the winter as I can't collect EI..It all comes down to what you make of it..If your wife wants to watch the Young and Restless every day,and shop and visit the girlfriend..It's not going to work..but the love of outdoors helps big time..And if she is into internet work,that can be done now with Satalite as most place's are hooked up..She could make more than you and still go fishing every day..and young kids ,well they pretty much adjust to anything..as long as it's fun and they spend time with you.I'm sure I spent more time with my girl than most Dads do...cause of the job..Good luck.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

CLguy wrote:Nestor Falls, Ontario
I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain all those positions are filled. Nestor is one of the gems I think. There's a chance they may need someone in Fort Frances. I know it starts with Fort but it's not the same as the other Fort's out there. You can also try Ear Falls if you're willing to drive a Beech. Chimo was looking for Otter drivers as well, both for their turbine and standard Otter.

Good luck.

Takman74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Takman74 »

I know you're opposed to places that the name starts with Fort.... However in Fort Frances you should get to do pretty much everything you described. Rusty Myers flying, Campbell's camp,Northern wilderness outfitters to name a few. Lots of great fishing around as well as a five minute ride to the USA at international falls MN. Best of luck!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”