Multi IFR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Multi IFR

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

Hi,
Are there any flight schools in any province that provide Multi IFR training on the PARTENAVIA (PN68)?
What are the most common types of aircraft's used for such training?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Most common type is the Seminole. Some schools have the Aztec, and the BE-76 is also common. As far as your question goes, I know ATI had a Partenavia, but they went tits up. My suggestion is to get your rating on the cheapest deal you can get. After all, time is time.

Timing is everything.
EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

Thanks for that Tango 01.
If the Seminole is the most often used can one put it as the cheapest Multi to train on? I really wouldn’t know much about this…but how ‘bout the Seneca. There are just a handful of flight schools that I’ve heard of that operate the Seneca. It must surely have to do a great deal with which aircraft gets you closer in terms of making a transition to heavy jets or even the turboprops.

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

EchoNovemberAlpha wrote:If the Seminole is the most often used can one put it as the cheapest Multi to train on?
That really depends on the individual school. Seneca's are bigger, faster and more useful for non-flight training roles, so I would suspect that you'll find Seminoles come out cheaper most of the time.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

All of the Piper Senecas except for the very oldest have the turbocharged 6-cyl TCM IO-360, which uses up cylinders if you look at it sideways. Not the best for training (!!)

The Seneca I (one) has the normally-aspirated 4 cyl angle-valve 200hp Lycoming IO-360 and is a good choice for training (ie throttle-chopping) but they're getting old, and there are only so many around.

Another neat little twin is the Piper Twin Comanche, with it's cute little Lyc IO-320's. You don't see many of them at flight schools for some reason. They got a bad name back in the 60's but no one in aviation remembers back that far anyways. Too bad, a nice, cheap little twin.

The Piper Seminole and Beech Duchees are almost identical. I really doubt anyone here is old enough to remember when they were introduced, but there were rumbles of lawsuits because of their amazing similiarity. High tail, counter-rotating 4-cyl carbureted 180hp parallel-valve Lyc 360's. These are your trainers of choice these days. Easy to as pie to fly, but dreadful single engine climb rate if you're anywhere near max gross or if it's hot/high.

Aztec is a great trainer, but a pretty expensive one, with it's big IO-540's. Easy to fly, very good single engine performance. Thick wing. Hate the f_cking hydraulics, though. Good charter machine. You might find one as dual-purpose trainer/charter.

If you go to Seneca College, and money is no object, you can train on the Baron. Like the Aztec except faster and more expensive. Why you need a fast, expensive training aircraft is beyond me, but I guess I'm not very sharp compared to a Seneca College grad :lol:

themilkguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by themilkguy »

I'm a PA-30 Twin Comanche fan, myself...

Relatively low operating costs (as long as you handle those crosswinds properly), fairly low fuel consumption (~17gph) considering it can cruise close to 200mph if your a$$ is on fire...

Plus it's not counter-rotating, so you can actually FEEL what happens when your favorite engine stops turning.

On the downside though, their gear isn't as rugged as the Aztec, and they certainly can't haul a huge load... But dollar for dollar MY money says they're a great training aircraft.

Cheers,
TheMilkGuy

The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Return to “Flight Training”