Twin Otter Ferry Flight

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Twin Otter Ferry Flight

Post by howard40 »

I come hear to learn , I understand that sometimes the price of that is listening to the odd know it all, blasting anyone who will listen, with his or her opinion. What a loss to have someone with a lot of experience to share, and a willingness to share it, leave over something like this. The letter to employer is offside.... Who can blame Michael for leaving... what a waste. "moderators?" hello?
---------- ADS -----------

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Posting with anonymity has it's pluses and minuses. I sometimes rant, sometimes try to interject humour, sometimes try to offer my experience or opinions. Having said that, in a backstabbing industry I prefer to remain as anonomous as possible. I had one poster who seemed to know who I am and felt that I was not an individual he would ever want to fly with. interestingly enough, those employers I have worked for and those pilots who have flown for me would say the opposite. i salute Cat who posts under 2 avatars, but is not afraid to say who he is. Unfortunately, there is a huge demographic of contributors,and I would guess that 60% or more are young people who still believe in the perfect world I am starting to thing another 20% are bitter wannabes and a few of us old farts that are obviouly not in touch with flying.

This thread seems to be heading off topic so I thought I would add this.

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

Well, Cat is not 30 years old , nor looking for an airline job.... Neither am I (on both counts ! LOL)

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I really hope this http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot- ... Viking+Air is not related to the issues PanEuropean had brought on by some ignorant Avcanada viewer. Whoever that was that sent the letter to PE's employer should be ashamed of themselves.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Ok I can no longer hold my tongue.

It's so nice that Pan has so eloquently fallen on his sword but you folks only have 5% of the story, so before anymore insults are made I think this needs to come to an end. I will not go into any details because I don't think any of you here deserve it.

I will say there is a bigger back story and history

The "complainant" does not read this site unless directed by others to specific posts.

The "complainant" has much more experience and knowledge of the Otter than Pan, and has done more over seas ferry flying in the last 2 years then Pan has done in his entire career.

I don't know a single business owner that would sit ideally by as his company and career are under minded from uneducated posts and comments.

Pan got burnt by his own words, no one else's. This may be an anonymous site but we still need to be responsible at the end of the day for what we post. If this includes things that costs companies business and money then you better be able to back it up.

You're free to continue to bash, but just remember there is always two sides to every story, and you only got the "hero" version.

Lurch

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

I don't ever remember reading where Pan put any other business down, or talked about anyone else for that matter. He has only posted his experiences. I must be missing something?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

cdnpilot77 wrote:I really hope this http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot- ... Viking+Air is not related to the issues PanEuropean had brought on by some ignorant Avcanada viewer.
Not to worry, Michael is still gainfully employed and very much respected- just back from another delivery to Tahiti (wouldn't that have been great to follow!!?), and then some support in Chile. The machines are just coming out so fast right now, that Viking needs more support. As much as he might want to, even Michael can't do it all!!

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Glad to hear it Airtids, thank you!

Lurch, you obviously have some experience and understand the game, but it seems people read words that were not there in PanEuropeans posts. I went back and read them again last night just to see if I missed something and I wasn't able to find where he made any accusations. Maybe you could enlighten us and quote the passages that you feel made Michael "fall on his sword" because I just can't find them. I am curious to see how different people interpret different things. Thanks

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

PanEuropean wrote: The shortest point-to-point distance from North America to Hawaii is over 2,000 miles. It just can't be done legally or safely.

Michael
You have been doing this trip for decades and somebody publicly says you're illegal and unsafe, I can't imagine too many pilot's/owners sitting back and taking this quietly, Can you?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Lurch wrote:
PanEuropean wrote: The shortest point-to-point distance from North America to Hawaii is over 2,000 miles. It just can't be done legally or safely.

Michael
You have been doing this trip for decades and somebody publicly says you're illegal and unsafe, I can't imagine too many pilot's/owners sitting back and taking this quietly, Can you?
No, not at all if he was saying they couldn't do it "legally or safely". You have left out a very important pre-text to this quote
In a best-case scenario, with both wing tanks and a 9 barrel ferry system fitted, the aircraft can carry 6,253 pounds of usable fuel. Assuming a specific range of .266 of a nautical mile per pound of fuel burned (keep in mind that the aircraft is operating at very high weights, hence SFC is worse than usual), that works out to 1,660 miles before all the fuel is exhausted. The shortest point-to-point distance from North America to Hawaii is over 2,000 miles. It just can't be done legally or safely
That reads to me like he is specifically talking about his airplane and his setup. I do not see any reference to where he says using a bladder system you discuss would be illegal or unsafe to do this trip.

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

+1

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

+2
I would certainly hope that folks would give what was actually written here a real critical read before firing off a letter to somebody's employer.

Bottom line is Viking is building a PHabulous machine that some lucky/talented guy gets to ferry around the world. I say get your resume in, it could be you!!

Tids

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

This has just become weird. If anything it makes me even more concerned about people finding out who I am in real life. I am not even in a position were I could imagine becoming a commercial pilot anymore. I just don't want someone freaking out because I ask stupid questions on the internet in their opinion.

Life seems too short. Have a good week everyone.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

even more concerned about people finding out who I am in real life
Don't worry about it. All the weirdos, creeps and envious losers here - a depressingly large percentage, in aviation - know exactly who I am and where I am, and not a single one has ever shown up and said to my face what they threw at me here, despited many repeated invitations from me to do so.

Heroes in their basement, cowards in the light of day. They are not worth spending a single moment of your life worrying about them. They are the cockroaches of aviation.

lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

I believe lurch should send a retraction letter to the acused,emploer,also apologize to the members of avcanada.Nowhere in pan's post did he say that other people in the same type of airplane could NOT do the trip legally or safe.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Lurch should send a retraction letter? Because he knows the guy that sent the other letter? What would it say?

Gards
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Gards »

I just stumbled upon this post and quite enjoyed the read until Lurch came into the picture. The guy or girl clearly cannot read otherwise he would have clearly understood that Pan was talking about the current config of his own aircraft.

Pretty sad sometimes when you get someone who wants to inform people of some interesting experiences and some chump has to come in and ruin it all.

Disappointed.....

Gards

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

You're Welcome

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Awesome thread! I'm planning on a trip to Indonesia in about 6 months. Single engine though. I may go the south route just in the event of an unplanned water landing. :rolleyes: Starting to get busy now with making the airplane and pilot ready.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Good luck! Sounds like an epic trip.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”