Do any of you corporate Pilots fly for a guy like this?

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Do any of you corporate Pilots fly for a guy like this?

Post by GGCC »

The chief executive of the retailer Abercrombie & Fitch, Michael S. Jeffries, is a stickler for details, especially when he flies.

Abercrombie & Fitch Co
Employees working on the company’s Gulfstream jet must greet Mr. Jeffries and his guests wearing the uniform of an Abercrombie polo shirt, jeans, flip flops, boxer briefs and a “spritz” of the company’s cologne; provide copies of several magazines (inserts removed); and respond to requests by saying, “No problem,” rather than “Sure,” or “Just a minute,” according to a manual that was submitted in an age-discrimination lawsuit brought against the company by a former pilot.

The document meticulously describes where Mr. Jeffries’s dogs should sit (“When Ruby and Trouble travel, Ruby will sit opposite Michael in the cabin”); instructs employees how to vacuum the aircraft (“from the front of the aircraft to the back, pulling the vacuum toward you to make smooth, even lines”); and directs how to make the beds (“iron the exposed top sheets”) and what snacks to provide (“prepare a bowl of pretzels, and one of Squirrel Nuts”).

The emergence of the document comes at a rough time for Mr. Jeffries. Shares of Abercrombie are trading at half what they were a year ago as same-store sales decline. Shares on Friday fell 1.36 percent to $32.01 in step with a broad market sell-off and one day after Bloomberg News reported on the lawsuit.

Mr. Jeffries is widely credited with turning the staid Abercrombie brand into a sexy, cool, must-wear fashion on college campuses across the country in the late 1990s.

But along the way, Mr. Jeffries has attracted more than his share of controversy, including a recall of catalogs in the 1990s over images that critics say promoted binge drinking and a call for a consumer boycott in 2004 from the head of USA Gymnastics over a T-shirt that said “L is for Loser,” next to a picture of a gymnast. That same year, Abercrombie agreed to pay $40 million to black, Hispanic and Asian employees and job applicants to settle a class-action federal discrimination lawsuit that accused the clothing retailer of promoting whites at the expense of minorities.

The aircraft manual is part of a lawsuit filed in 2010 by Michael Stephen Bustin, who piloted the company’s corporate jet from February 2008 until he was terminated in December 2009. Mr. Bustin, who is now 55, claims he was let go so that the company could hire younger pilots more in step with its corporate image. Abercrombie denied the allegations in its court filings, saying Mr. Bustin had been employed by a jet aviation company, not Abercrombie.

A message left on Abercrombie & Fitch’s investor relations voice mail was not returned, nor were a call and e-mail sent to the company’s lawyers. Neither did Mr. Bustin’s lawyer respond to a call and e-mail.

After some shareholders raised questions about his unlimited personal use of the company jet, Mr. Jeffries received a lump-sum payment of $4 million two years ago to limit that use.

But when Mr. Jeffries traveled on the company jet, he expected to do it in style.

According to the manual, employees had to look for fingerprints on the cabinet doors of the aircraft lavatory, make sure the bar of Jo Malone soap on the vanity did not slide out of place during takeoff, provide eight tri-folded washcloths, and make sure that toilet paper was not visible and that the end square was not folded. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Do any of you corporate Pilots fly for a guy like this?

Post by DanWEC »

That's hilarious.

A "spritz" of company cologne?

Ever walk by an A&F in the mall? The stench is enough to gag a shitfly, which apparently also makes a 16 year old horny. Weird.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Sometimes its a very thin line from pilot to butler. Something to do with the type of person it takes to acquire the many millions it takes to have a jet. I think telling you what type of knickers to wear is pushing the envelope a bit...
As far as grooming the airplane, most pilots I know are proud enough to not be happy flying something that has not been taken care of and that frequently encompasses fingerprints.

Corporate pilot skills usually go far beyond just driving.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Well of the two types I fly the one is owned by an individual who if you met him you would never know he has private jet type money. Real down to earth kind of people and when sh@$* goes sideways with WX or the plane no pressure at all I really enjoy flying him and his family around all are class acts. The plane is chartered out and the other type I fly is all charter, as a general rule I find the nouveau riche have the most "issues" usually lists a mile long of requirements for catering etc. That being said I would rather know in advance and our coordinators are good about getting things together for a particular clients needs.

One thing that helps a lot is passing info onto the coordinators about clients particular needs. For example I was flying a client who maybe charters twice a year and as usual I go back and shoot the shit and offered to get him a drink and he asked for a scotch. So our plane has a bar stock and their where no particular requests for anything specific and much to my surprise we didn't have any scotch on board (FFS I thought everything but scotch and WTF we always have scotch on board! more on that later) anyway talked him into something else but for the return trip I grabbed a nice bottle of Glenfiddich, trust me he was more than pleased. So now when that client charters the briefing has a little note *CLIENT PREFERS SCOTCH* Things like that make the job easy, others you never know what to expect but as other have said your not just driving the bus and that one of the attraction to the corporate jet job. I usually get put up in nice places and have time to explore where I go and it isn't your regular destinations (ever been to the Cody Wyoming rodeo? I have twice! love small town emerica)

Overall the majority of clients I fly are middle management and are very nice and just like playing "high roller" for the day. That reminds me of a new CEO who wasn't really use to how charter works and had to explain that hey if your meetings running late or you want to go home early here's my card give me a heads up where on your schedule, you don't need to be here an hour before departure. Now he rolls in ten minutes before departure says hi grabs a coffee while I start spinning a fan and I think he even knows how to shut the door and start the engine.

Sometimes I think some clients have particular requests just to make sure your particular and professional kind of like that famous band that wanted M&M in the dressing room but with no Blue ones or however that goes just to make sure.

Oh and the scotch thing was the last charter cleaned us out lol and then the row of small scotches was replaces with rum so we had two rows of rum arrrrrg :roll: I thought all pilots knew these things?, perhaps I need to rewrite the line indoc particulars to include a scotch tasting.

.. out

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Brown M&Ms, ... The band was Van Halen.

Interesting article. Some people just cannot figure out what is important and what isn't. I'd feel sorry for them except that they're busy making a mess of the world for the rest of us. I've never had to deal with anyone 10% as bad as that, but a few times I have had to take an owner or passenger aside and explain that my job is to keep them alive, and any other considerations come a distant second. When done politely and firmly you'd be amazed at the positive reaction you get from most people.

If someone thinks that the dog grooming is as important as the flying I have no problem with that though, we're just going to have to spend another $100k a year on someone who'll take care of that detail.

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

Ahh the world of the private or corporate or VIP airplanes (your choice as to what you want to call it) Rule number one...what happens on the jet...STAYS on the jet...if it's the company jet there will most likely be a high standard of what sorts of behavior will be tolerated..goes without saying for most. A good crew will always know what the boss likes and what the Missus and the family enjoys, it's usually the same stuff. (catering and amenities etc) Sports teams (pro football, hockey and baseball primarily) requirements vary but from experience it doesn't take long to figure who sits where, who likes what and what the pecking order is on the team. Those guys tend to be a little harder on the furniture but if the team owns the jet, (most do in the US) the rules are strict, wreck the jet, abuse the crew and lose the right to fly! The last and most seriously private world is the high wealth owner and Royal Family/Governmental operators. Middle Eastern or Russian Oligarchy money, and Royal ops are extremely sensitive about who gets through the door, even to drop off the catering! Security is tight, right from the office support on up. Which brings us back to rule number one! A good crew will know the protocol requirements, who sits where, where the entourage fits in, and what rules apply to which VIP. Tricky to learn but a valuable tool once it's known... it's a fantastic job! Quite often the payoff is worth it! It's a pretty small world at this level and finding the right person for the job is usually done by a word of mouth system, even if there is the occasional advert when a vacancy occurs. Yes, there will be some odd behaviour like the guy noted above, but his is not that strange...just fussy! (And who ever yapped about it has a big mouth and no doubt had a short career in the private world) Anyway, its different and if you go in with an airline mentality you most likely will find the change difficult. If you can be flexible, understanding and firm when it comes to the regs, it's a cool job.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

DanWEC wrote:
A "spritz" of company cologne?

Ever walk by an A&F in the mall? The stench is enough to gag a shitfly, which apparently also makes a 16 year old horny. Weird.
That actually explains a lot. I can't seem to date any woman over the age of 25 ever since using this cologne. And....I'm not kidding. 8)

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I WAS Birddog wrote:
That actually explains a lot. I can't seem to date any woman over the age of 25 ever since using this cologne. And....I'm not kidding. 8)
I just ordered 12 cases...

....and a stack of gift certificates for East Side Marios. It's gonna be a good year.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

DanWEC wrote:
I WAS Birddog wrote:
I just ordered 12 cases...

....and a stack of gift certificates for East Side Marios. It's gonna be a good year.
Just remember....it's all about you, not her.
Enjoy ^^

Return to “Corporate”