Plane missing in Antarctica

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Plane missing in Antarctica

Post by Widow »

Add my candle to the light. Get home soon Bob.
---------- ADS -----------

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Widow wrote:Add my candle to the light. Get home soon Bob.
+1

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

Thanks Swordfish,
Fact is, the aircraft is at 13,000 FT, at the top of a mountain,
The reported climb descent climb is corroborated by the computer screen image
that shows 192 kts and then zero knots.

that 13,000 altitude narrows it down to a very precise location and
if the clouds clear,we will have some news within hours.

The Twin Ottawa involved has quite a history that
is probably irrelevant if the facts are as they now appear.

The next "update" is expected at 2:00 am EST Canadian time, 4:00 PM NZ time.

Lots of useless stories in the press.

swordfish wrote:If my track is correct on Google Earth, that site over the Queen Alexandra Mountains is just 25 nm away from "water" or a glacier on the right side of the track where the altitude is 3300' at the nearest point, going down to sea level. Also, the highest terrain in a 12-mile radius seems to be about 12,000 ft. They should have been clear at 13,000 depending on cold-weather corrections.

bkn4thr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bkn4thr »

Widow wrote:Add my candle to the light. Get home soon Bob.

Add me too.

They're sitting in the back of that plane frozen damn near solid getting a little warm liquids into them from they're little camp stove. Praying like everyone else close to them and a whole bunch that aren't !

Hoping for the best of endings! BKN

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Ramjet555 wrote:

Lots of useless stories in the press.....
Everyone just sit tight and ignore the background noise of news media.

Last edited by I WAS Birddog on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

Godspeed Bob and crew. We have never met but I always respect and appreciate your posts here. I'm looking forward to reading many more.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I pray for a positive outcome for the crew. One of KBA pilots down there is the son, and former student , of a friend and I've not wanted to phone his family just yet.

I hope that if you were on the flight Gary, that you are all right

Barney

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Get home safe fellas! As a guy that has never met Bob and he wouldn't know me from a stone, he has been exceptionally forthcoming and available to answer questions through avcanada. As the outpouring of love and respect would testify, that's the guy he is. Hoping for a safe return to a lot of friends and admirers!

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Folks,

This one hits INCREDIBLY close to home for many of us on here... I have removed a few posts, and I ask that everyone remember we are all vested, and that each of us have a different way of dealing with that.

There is no place for combative posting, or quick tempers here. If you have an issue with a post flag it with the "Report" button and one of us will get to it.

That said, let's try to keep the speculation to a bare minimum on this thread, there is time for that later.

No doubt, given what we already know, that this is a very serious situation for Bob and the crew. Let's just assume we ALL have their best interests at heart, and please try to remember that when posting or responding to posts.

sigi12345
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sigi12345 »

Old Dog Flying wrote:I pray for a positive outcome for the crew. One of KBA pilots down there is the son, and former student , of a friend and I've not wanted to phone his family just yet.

I hope that if you were on the flight Gary, that you are all right

Barney

The two pilots name (first name) start with a B and M. I don't know the engineers name.

Two great guys. Sorry, I don't know who the engineer is.

I hope the weather improves and they will be rescued soon.

Sigi

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

sky's the limit wrote:Folks,

This one hits INCREDIBLY close to home for many of us on here... I have removed a few posts, and I ask that everyone remember we are all vested, and that each of us have a different way of dealing with that.

There is no place for combative posting, or quick tempers here. If you have an issue with a post flag it with the "Report" button and one of us will get to it.

That said, let's try to keep the speculation to a bare minimum on this thread, there is time for that later.

No doubt, given what we already know, that this is a very serious situation for Bob and the crew. Let's just assume we ALL have their best interests at heart, and please try to remember that when posting or responding to posts.
+1

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

New Zealand SAR update as of 0400z: http://maritimenz.govt.nz/news/media-re ... 30125c.asp

Rescue efforts are still being hampered by poor weather in the region, expected to last for the next 12-24hrs.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Here it is:
25 January 2013, 5.00pm

Progress in the rescue of three Canadians missing during a flight in the Antarctica is still being hampered by bad weather which is expected to continue until tomorrow morning (8am NZ time).

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) coordinator Kevin Banaghan said the crew of the Twin Otter aircraft have survival equipment and are well trained for the harsh environment.

“Visibility is down to 400m and the snow is almost horizontal with winds at about 20 knots, The weather is expected to improve slightly after 12-24 hours,” says Mr Banaghan. “We are still operating with the expectation we will find them alive.”

Despite several planes searching for the Twin Otter since the beacon was activated on Wednesday night at 10pm no visual sightings have been possible due to cloud. The missing aircraft is about 670km from Scott Base in the Northern end of the Queen Alexandra Range.

Plans are underway to fly two helicopters, including a Southern Lakes (New Zealand) helicopter on contract to Antarctica New Zealand at Scott Base, to Beardmore glacier base, which is about 50km away from the crash site, to enable another search as soon as the weather clears.

A further update will be provided at 8am NZ time unless there are developments overnight. Any media release updates will be available on the website.

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

Hang in their boys!

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Looking forward to their safe return.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

I sure hope they are all hunkered down in a tent getting on each others nerves a little because no one thought to bring a deck of cards or a book to read. I know the KBA guys are as prepared as any crew to hunker down and ride it out. Hang in there guys, help is on the way just waiting a break in the weather.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Oleo 4 wrote:Hang in their boys!
I suppose hanging in their boys is one way to stay warm! (Perhaps not the best time, but I thought a bit of levity might lift some spirits)

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

UPDATE #6 Jan 25 01:00 EST Toronto time

Progress in the rescue of three Canadians missing during a flight in the Antarctica is still being hampered by bad weather which is expected to continue until tomorrow morning (8am NZ time).

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) coordinator Kevin Banaghan said the crew of the Twin Otter aircraft have survival equipment and are well trained for the harsh environment.

“Visibility is down to 400m and the snow is almost horizontal with winds at about 20 knots, The weather is expected to improve slightly after 12-24 hours,” says Mr Banaghan. “We are still operating with the expectation we will find them alive.”

Despite several planes searching for the Twin Otter since the beacon was activated on Wednesday night at 10pm no visual sightings have been possible due to cloud. The missing aircraft is about 670km from Scott Base in the Northern end of the Queen Alexandra Range.

Plans are underway to fly two helicopters, including a Southern Lakes (New Zealand) helicopter on contract to Antarctica New Zealand at Scott Base, to Beardmore glacier base, which is about 50km away from the crash site, to enable another search as soon as the weather clears.

A further update will be provided at 8am NZ time unless there are developments overnight. Any media release updates will be available on the website.

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/News/Latest-media.asp

Next Media release is due 14:00 EST unless there is breaking news.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

While I do not know Bob himself I do know several KBA crew. Hang in there boys, stay warm, help is on the way. To your families; stay positive and know that the aviation community is rooting for your boys.

foundpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by foundpilot »

Come home safe- Can't wait to hear the stories of how you survied. You are the very best in the world at what you do!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”