Plane missing in Antarctica

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Plane missing in Antarctica

Post by Galaxy »

10,500 views already shows the vested interest we all have in the outcome of this event and the importance of this forum. You guys have a lot of people praying for your safe return. Fingers crossed hoping for good news today.
---------- ADS -----------

xsever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by xsever »

Been reading the forum for long time, but registered now to add my prayers to yours fellas.

Going through my private pilot license now and boy oh boy I will inspect that ELT more meticulously now.

Let's hope for the best. I can imagine the boys sitting in that Twin Otter, covered in coats, sipping tea or whatever and saying: "Where on earth is S&R? :D"

Beaver Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Beaver Driver »

I have never posted in one of these threads, and I have never met any of the people involved, yet I find myself checking back every half hour or so to see if there are any updates. I truly believe they are safe on the ground and waiting out the storm, and I look forward to the first hand account of the events. Thinking of you guys.

jlfd26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jlfd26 »

Beaver Driver wrote:I have never posted in one of these threads, and I have never met any of the people involved, yet I find myself checking back every half hour or so to see if there are any updates. I truly believe they are safe on the ground and waiting out the storm, and I look forward to the first hand account of the events. Thinking of you guys.
+1

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Break in the weather today. They are ready to spring up the hill at a moments notice.

Can you imagine the level of celebrity Bob and his crew are going to attain when they get back home!?!

Letterman, Leno......even Oprah will want a piece of Bob & his crew.
After the book and movie comes out .... Those that know him will have to speak through his agent/manager.

Oh yeah. I see it now. Duets with Elton John and Bono for some cause to Hosting the Oscars.....then Twitter tweets with innocent yet scandalous clubbing pictures with Lindsey Lohan. Followed by an apology from his studio. Then.......then the worst happens....chumming with Tom Cruise...NOOOOOO!

(Just trying to keep everyone's spirits up....)

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Its been a long time since I've spent this much time on AVCanada.
Im impatiently waiting to hear they are found safe and sound and hearing That Bob asked for an
Espresso (get him to tell that story later).

Another prayer said.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Me too, KAG. Me too.

Come home soon, Bob. We all need you.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

It's been a very long time since I've so many sincere positive thoughts come out of this web site. It's really good to see! This has me looking at things differently. Love Bird Dog's take on the interviews with Leno and Oprah (I hate that woman!) the movie and book and the like. Don't know who I'd get to play Bob though, now that John Candy is gone. He'd have been perfect!
Im feeling really helpless here, sitting on my couch sipping my hot coffee (which is really hard to do with crossed fingers, BTW). I have the utmost respect for Bob, and I'm thinking nothing but positive thoughts for his safe return.
Keep you ears stiff, and your nose to the wind old fox, they'll be picking you up as soon as they can!

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

Doc wrote:It's been a very long time since I've so many sincere positive thoughts come out of this web site. It's really good to see! This has me looking at things differently. Love Bird Dog's take on the interviews with Leno and Oprah (I hate that woman!) the movie and book and the like. Don't know who I'd get to play Bob though, now that John Candy is gone. He'd have been perfect!
Im feeling really helpless here, sitting on my couch sipping my hot coffee (which is really hard to do with crossed fingers, BTW). I have the utmost respect for Bob, and I'm thinking nothing but positive thoughts for his safe return.
Keep you ears stiff, and your nose to the wind old fox, they'll be picking you up as soon as they can!
+1

I did not know Bob, but his pictures alone say a thousand words.

Last edited by burhead1 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyclear350
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skyclear350 »

I too am praying for a safe return for Bob and his crew! I flew many flights with him...the best pilot I've ever met and a true gentleman. May God send his angels to take care of you guys!

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Well said Doc! Its not surprising as Bob is always such a positive person with everyone he meets.

I have completely cancelled my day and I am pinned to avcanada and CTV 24 hour news channel for constant updates. I`ll be the first say it out loud...this waiting is AGONIZING!!

They say the wx is about to break and give them a window. Lets hope they get that window.

Bob is keeping everyone calm and organized up on that mountain, and he will bring them all home safe and sound. He helped me adjust to CYEV so he will do the same for those men where they are.

My most sincere respect to you Skipper.

Keep praying!!!!!
FTB

Attachments
One of Bob`s girls back in CYEV
One of Bob`s girls back in CYEV
Twin_Otter.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
A pic of Bob`s home in CYEV.
A pic of Bob`s home in CYEV.
Aklak_air.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Last edited by flyinthebug on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Doc wrote:...... the movie and book and the like. Don't know who I'd get to play Bob though, now that John Candy is gone. He'd have been perfect!
I am of the opinion no one else can play his part in the movie except for Bob himself.

.....You know he's gonna roll his eyes when he reads these posts about me envisioning him socializing with Hollywoods rich and shameless! :D

Get home soldier!!!

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

I too am checking this site on the hour. Bob gave me - a complete stranger - a bunch of great advice when I was starting out as well.
Lots of prayers sent for a safe recovery.
I don't spend much time on Avcanada any more but it is sure nice to see all the good wishes.
Godspeed to all the folks involved.

helione
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by helione »

no sat phone on this a/c ? we don't leave home without so was wondering....and of course it doesn't always work when you need it

grover
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by grover »

Some sat phones are hardwired in. If it has no power supply, it may not work properly?

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

Light a candle for myself as well, thoughts and prayers to Bob and his crew.

I found a better map online, with an expanded inset of the search area if anybody is interested...

http://www.usap.gov/USAPgov/sciencesupp ... 010-11.pdf
I've seem conflicting information on the beacon location, but I now believe that Press article which states it to be roughly halfway between Pole and McMurdo (420 statute miles from Pole, near 84ºS) at an altitude of 13,000 feet. The plan is to establish a rescue base camp at the site of the former CTAM camp on the west side of the Beardmore Glacier (perhaps the main camp at 84ºS-164.5ºE) where there is a rudimentary runway and a fuel cache. The intended site is about 30 miles from the beacon location. Helicopters from McMrdo would proceed to this camp, refueling at other fuel caches en route. The Twin Otter had retreated to the Roadend fuel cache at 79.8ºS-157.9ºE near the Darwin Glacier to await better weather.
That is from the 'unofficial' South Pole Station website at http://www.southpolestation.com/news/news.html

Looking forward to reading the book and seeing the movie when Bob returns!

YCL Boy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YCL Boy »

Just like everyone here, hoping for the best outcome.
And a great story to be told very soon.

Here's some link's to some weather charts for Antarctic.

Synoptic Chart:
http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-dat ... _Chart.GIF

http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-dat ... odel/ECMWF

http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-dat ... l/GFS/500Z

http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-dat ... el/GFS/T2M

[attachment=0]ECMWFASFCP0.GIF[/attachment]

Attachments
ECMWFASFCP0.GIF
ECMWFASFCP0.GIF (39.92 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
pez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pez »

Beaver Driver wrote:I have never posted in one of these threads, and I have never met any of the people involved, yet I find myself checking back every half hour or so to see if there are any updates. I truly believe they are safe on the ground and waiting out the storm, and I look forward to the first hand account of the events. Thinking of you guys.
I wholeheartedly second that. Hoping everyone makes it home safe.

I've never met Bob, but have heard the name over the last few years, and separately had a great deal of respect for "Just Curious" on here.

Best wishes to those on the ice and the rescue parties ready to go... as well as all the families and friends sitting at home and waiting.

-Colin

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I met Bob during the year I rotated to YEV, and have only kept in touch with him here and on Facebook. His page there has 847 friends all of whom are anxiously awating good news like all of us here. I love the story he told me abouot getting married IN a twin Otter. Did I even hear that right? He walked down the aisle in an aircraft? Even though I flew beechcraft, I somehow felt like he was a mentor to me. Always good advice in person, on line, all the time. We are sending warm thoughts and prayers to you and your crew sir. Keep positive, help is on the way.

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

New Update:

26 January 2013, 8.30am

Efforts to locate three Canadians who’ve gone missing during a flight from the South Pole to Terra Nova Bay in Antarctica will continue today, as weather conditions improve.

The Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) is coordinating the search, working with United States and Canadian authorities, after the missing Twin Otter aircraft’s emergency locator transmitter was activated at about 10pm on Wednesday, 23 January.

A Twin Otter aircraft is scheduled to fly from the Darwin glacier area this morning to Beardmore glacier base, which is about 50km away from where the emergency beacon was transmitting, to set up camp. As soon as the weather clears, two helicopters based at McMurdo station will be flown to the camp to undertake an aerial search for the missing plane.

Despite several planes searching for the aircraft since the beacon was activated on Wednesday night at 10pm no visual sightings have been possible due to poor visibility and snow.

The location is at a height of 3,900m (13,000 feet) at the northern end of the Queen Alexandra Range, within New Zealand’s Search and Rescue Region – halfway between the South Pole and McMurdo Station (approximately 680km or 370 nautical miles in each direction).

The Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) said the crew of the missing aircraft have survival equipment and are well trained for the harsh environment.

An update on the search and rescue effort will be provided on the Maritime New Zealand website as soon as there are any further developments.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”