Bush pilots love Canada Goose jackets?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bush pilots love Canada Goose jackets?

Post by Lotro »

From TheGridTO:
“I worked there with the intention of leaving after that,” he says. “Honestly, the first month sucked. I didn’t like it. My dad said I had to wear a suit and show up at 8:30 in the morning.” Reiss’s first task was to solicit sales from various northern airlines in need of jackets for bush pilots. That’s when his 180-degree turnaround on brands—or, more specifically, his father’s brand—happened.

Reiss got up to speed on the competition, and sussed out the industry landscape. “I learned the stories about the people who lived in the north, and the bush pilots, the people who said, ‘You make the greatest jackets, I couldn’t live here without them.’ We get all kinds of letters, and reading them convinced me there’s something real here that means something to people. I’m a storyteller, and I like meaning, and it was there. I used to think my dad’s jackets were like widgets, just things. But they weren’t.”
Any bush pilots care to confirm?

Full Story here - it's not a bad read:
http://www.thegridto.com/life/fashion/g ... the-flock/
---------- ADS -----------

Janszoon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Bush pilots love Canada Goose jackets?

Post by Janszoon »

Great jackets, those Canada Goose. Have the "Resolute" parka and wear it in the arctic religiously. I could go outside in -45C with just a t-shirt underneath and be warm enough in it. Like wearing a fitted sleeping bag. It's also tough, durable and well-thought-out. If I had to "put it down" in the winter, I wouldn't want any other parka.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Janszoon wrote:Great jackets, those Canada Goose. Have the "Resolute" parka and wear it in the arctic religiously. I could go outside in -45C with just a t-shirt underneath and be warm enough in it. Like wearing a fitted sleeping bag. It's also tough, durable and well-thought-out. If I had to "put it down" in the winter, I wouldn't want any other parka.

Sounds like something out of the J. Peterman catalogue! :lol:

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

The gales blow hard in Pond Inlet, -40 before the wind has its say, metric and imperialists have no say, as the diesel generators struggle to keep up. Engine tents hug your sleeping monster like a finely matched corset over something with much warmer, pleasing curves. Around you, cold barren darkness, but a symbol of your Independence, the elements do not phase you.

There's a movement in this country. You know who they are. They take classes in cognitive-test preparation and managing cockpit resources that your forefathers could tackle with the simple raise of a brow. They can break down the properties in Jet-A but shy away from a 25kt crosswind. They wouldn't get you, and you're glad they don't.

You're an endangered species and you wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy.

Long known as the ‘industrial’ parka of the north, the Resolute Parka is worn at both poles -- by explorers on trans-Antarctic expeditions as well as workers at high-Arctic observatories. With features like double-reinforced elbows and a longer thigh length, this parka will get you through some of the most extreme and challenging environments in the world.

J. Peterman

And yes, I love that frikken' parka.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

+1

My friends back home ask me all the time how I tolerate working in the arctic, being so cold. I tell them I'm often warmer up there then any given day back in the city. Up North, when I go out I know it's effing cold so I suit up in my carhartt bib pants and Canada Goose parka. Back home, it may well be -30 but for some reason everyone insists on running around in spring jackets? I'm guilty of it too but I don't complain about the cold as much now. It's funny how it took some time living in the North to realize just how under dressed most people are down South in winter (especially women). You may be in a city but what if you get stuck somewhere? A guy died just outside of Winnipeg last month after his car got stuck on the highway during a snowstorm. They found him 50m from his car, frozen stiff, apparently trying to walk out?!! Poor guy would probably still be here if he had dressed appropriately.

cffdt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cffdt »

I have the expedition parka myself. I agree with the above; 90% of people do not dress properly. During my first week of winter at my first ramp job, I dressed properly; my parka, good gloves, good and proper hat, also used my goose down snow pants. Some of my work mates laughed at me for dressing "silly." But when that first -40C night hit, I was fine and they were shivering. But don't worry, they looked "cool" still haha. Some of them the next day went out and spent the cash on similar stuff to mine. That all being said, assuming you buy the real thing and not a fake; Canada Goose's winter gear is worth every penny in my books. Expensive, but very very good stuff.

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

You know, between Cape Dyer and Sondre-Strom Fjord, there is the Gulf Stream, making
Greenland's climate actually fairly mild.

So one day, Greenlandair show up with their S-61, land in front of the terminal in Dyer main(Cape Dyer),
the ferry crew, wearing green bomber jackets, start walking to the terminal.

At minus 40 and a stiff wind, they almost did not survive the 300 feet walk!
We had to loan them real parkas so they could go back to the helicopter!

The memorable thing at Dyer main was one day, they filled our tanks with seawater instead of Jet-A.
(Somebody turn on the wrong valve at the wrong place, then water pressure busted the philters)
Crew flamed out in the middle of Take Off...was the devil to purge off all that seawater in these temperatures!

The other big thing there was the runway is at the bottom of a hill, so you do your approach
real close to the ground...and there was this propeller blade sticking out as you went right by...

A C-46 had crashed on approach...then it got crushed down and buried except for that one blade!

esp803

Post by esp803 »

As I stated in the "trendy" thread, I've got a bomber Canada Goose, because the Caravan is a pain to climb into with the full length parkas. combined with down snow pants it's pretty cozy, no complaints yet.

E

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

I have a bomber. Forget which one. Some days it's a bit short, but a pair of lined Carhartt overalls fixes that real quick. I like the flexibility the bomber gives.

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

I would like a Canada goose jacket but they are so damn expensive. I am not saying you don't get what you pay for. The USA or Canada made woolrich arctic parka costs about as much but you can get one that was manufactured in China for cheaper.

Anyone find something cheaper than Canada goose that works for -40?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I might have gotten a dud. Bought from Sporting Life, but I'm covered with feathers every time I wear it. CG's customer service says it's normal??!
Warm though.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

The5chord wrote:Anyone find something cheaper than Canada goose that works for -40?
If you're on a budget, head over to a military surplus store and grab one of the large green winter parkas, it will keep you toasty warm at -40. I also loved the wire frame on the hood, it allows you to shape it how you want.

E

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

The5chord wrote:hina for cheaper.

Anyone find something cheaper than Canada goose that works for -40?
I've used a North Face McMurdo Parka at -40 for days on end with only a T-Shirt underneath, certainly does the trick. Doesn't have the same yuppie appeal mind you...

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

My North Face Mcmurdo served me well too! Any proper down winter parka (spend the coin!) is a worthy investment.. I'd have picked up a Canada Goose, but they were few nd far between here in the tropics they call vangcouver

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

esp803 wrote:
The5chord wrote:Anyone find something cheaper than Canada goose that works for -40?
If you're on a budget, head over to a military surplus store and grab one of the large green winter parkas, it will keep you toasty warm at -40. I also loved the wire frame on the hood, it allows you to shape it how you want.

E

I bought one of these for $60 on ebay. Worked like a charm in the territories. Might not get you any style points but at -40C who cares.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

I still have my big ugly green military surplus parka - from place called Rosie's Auction in Saskatoon 20 years ago - $60? Can't remember for sure has but it sure has served me well. It's so ugly that it's guaranteed not to get stolen, and I never have to wonder if I'm in compliance with the latest fashion. An oldtimer once told me the buttons of CF parkas used to be made of edible material for survival situations. Mine are plastic. I like the big brass zipper - now that is something of quality you don't see much anymore.

Layers are the key - and a windbreak. I survived several winters flying skis at -40 and below wearing only bib-style stretchy ski pants from MEC with itchy scratchy woolies and a hand-made, double knit Dale of Norway sweater - only kept the parka in the back of the aircraft for emergencies and the occasional long walk with the dog on windy days. The problem with the big CG parkas is you can't layer properly for the continuous transitions between loading freight, flying and walking about in the odd snow storm. Even at -40 it's common to find yourself down to minimal layers breaking a sweat when you're slugging freight around.

If you're ever in YZF Weaver & Devore is a great place to buy winter boots and some great sheepskin products from Eglis Sheep Farm in Ontario. Alternatively if you're between Kenora and Dryden - closer to Dryden - you can stop into Eglis in person. Great sheepskin gauntlets and hats.

If I was going to the vicinity of the North or South Pole, then I would definitely invest in a proper CG parka for the purpose. That said there are so many counterfeit knockoffs you better be sure before you spend your money, and bet your life on the branding.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I don't understand why I don't have a Canada Goose jacket, I have 3900 hours of BE20 time. Can someone give me a jacket?

:smt040

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I don't understand why I don't have a Canada Goose jacket, I have 3900 hours of BE20 time. Can someone give me a jacket?

I would offer to help you understand , but the mods would ban me for life

:smt040

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

The airplane shudders in the minus 40 wind chill. The air is so cold the howling of the huskies freezes in mid-air. It will be noisy come springtime!

Standing in the arctic blast, you fondly remember your cozy time in Flin Flon. Your nose is about to become a popsicle, but the rest of you is as warm as toast, thanks to your Canada Goose parka.

Sizes small, medium, large, XL

J. Peterman

Yes, they are warm, but overpriced and heavy. There are better deals out there, though most are useless without some decent fur around the hood.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

There may be more affordable options out there but what other parka comes with a lifetime guarantee? After six years of use I sent mine back to repair the frayed cuffs. Not only did they replace those, they also replaced my fur ruff and sewed on a new Canada Goose patch. On it's return it was like getting a brand new parka, ready for another six years of work and hopefully more.

My model - The Heli-Arctic - is perfect for pilots. A real shame to discover that it has been discontinued.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”