Encore's Pay and Work Conditions

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Encore's Pay and Work Conditions

Post by ikarus »

Instead of speculating and insulting each other, I thought it would be a good idea to post Encore's contract, since everyone has access to Sky Regional's and decide for your self....Fire away :roll:

PILOT BRIEFING SHEET

December, 2012

Conditions of Employment

• All Pilots will be required to serve a 12 month probationary period on commencing employment with WestJet Encore.
• You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• You must hold a current passport.
• If your passport is issued by a country other than Canada, you will require a Canadian Permanent Resident Card and, prior to the completion of training, posses all individual visas necessary to enable you to perform your duties as a pilot wherever WestJet Encore operates on a scheduled and charter basis, which locations are subject to change from time to time.
• As a condition of continued employment you must maintain a valid passport from you country of citizenship as well as all necessary visas.

A JOB OFFER IS CONDITIONAL BASED ON A “CLEAR” POLICE BACKGROUND CHECK

Commuting

• The following are WestJet Encore’s requirements with respect to commuting:
o All pairings start at the Pilot’s designated base. Thus, regardless of whether or not the first leg of your day is deadheading to your home town, you are responsible to be at your base to take part in your crew briefing rested and fit with regards to all duty day requirements as outlined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR’s).
o You would be prioritized according to your check in time and pay the required standby travel fare.
o Standby travelers, regardless of employment status, have no guarantee of getting a seat on the plane whether or not they are trying to get to work.
o There is no excuse for being late including but not limited to bad weather, airport closures etc.
o Failure for anyone to report to work as scheduled may impact continued employment.
o Once issued, schedules are not modified in any way to support commuting.
o All costs associated with commuting are at your own expense.

Training

• All Pilots starting with WestJet Encore must successfully complete a prescribed training program as a condition of employment.
• Training will be conducted at your base and other designated location(s).
• You will be responsible for your own travel, accommodation meal costs for any training conducted at your base.
• In order to successfully meet conditions of employment with WestJet Encore, you must:
o Attain a grade of no less than 80% on each written exam
o Attain no less that 80% overall on your written exams
o Successfully meet grade expectations with no more that a total of one (1) rewrite overall
o Successfully attain the Transport Canada Standard to pass the PPC and Line Indoctrination

NOTE:
• FAILURE TO PROGRESS THROUGH TRAINING AT THE PRESCRIBED RATE WILL RESULT IN AN EVALUATION OF YOUR EFFORTS AND MAY RESULT IN EXTRA TRAINING. HOWEVER, WESTJET ENCORE DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE EXTRA TRAINING.
• FAILURE TO PASS ANY OF THE EXAMINATIONS MAY RESULT IN EXTRA TRAINING AND/OR RE-EXAMINATION. HOWEVER, WESTJET ENCORE DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE EXTRA TRAINING AND/OR RE-EXAMINATION.
• FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE EXPECTATIONS SET IN THESE CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT WITHIN STIPULATED TIMEFRAMES WILL RESULT IN YOUR TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT WITH WESTJET ENCORE WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE OR PAYMENT IN LIEU OF FUTHER NOTICE.

Hours of Service
• A Pilot employed for a full scheduling month shall receive a minimum monthly pay guarantee of seventy (70) hours at straight time.
• Compensation above ninety (90) hours in a scheduling month shall be paid at the overtime (OT) rate of pay of one point five (1.5) times the straight time rate.

Maximum Working Days
• The maximum number of working days in a scheduling month shall not be more than twenty (20).

Meal Cost Replacement Allowance
• Meal Cost Replacement allowance is provides in accordance with current WestJet Encore policy.
• Crew meals will not normally be provided on any WestJet Encore flights.

Flex Benefits
• Pilots will be eligible to participate in WestJet Encore Flex Benefits plan.
o You will receive credits based on a percentage of your salary plus a flat dollar amount.
o Using your credits, you choose which of the benefit plans to purchase.

Vacation/Statutory Holidays

Year of Service Vacation Entitlement
1-3 2 weeks (10 days)
4-6 3 weeks (15 days)
7 and thereafter 4 weeks (20 days)

• Vacation is prorated and to be awarded in the year it is earned.
• Statutory holidays are awarded the same year they are earned, prorated on hire date. Maximum entitlement in one year is ten (10) statutory holidays.
• One week of vacation will equal five (5) working days.
• From their regularly scheduled monthly days off, Pilots may request two (2) Guaranteed Days Off (GDOs) to be assigned to each full week (i.e. five days) of vacation assigned.

Compensation
• The Total Compensation for WestJet Encore Pilots is comprised of three (3) components:
1. Base Pay
• The cash component of Pilot Compensation is based on a Pilot’s Hourly Rate
(Refer to Appendix A).
• Pilots will be paid bi-weekly.
• A First Officer’s anniversary date will be the first day of Ground School. As such, applicable pay increases shall occur on the First Officer’s anniversary date.

2. Profit Share
• WestJet Airlines Ltd. has an employee profit sharing plan whereby eligible employees will participate in the pre-tax operating income of WestJet Airlines Ltd. on an annual basis.
• In addition to the profit sharing plan, eligible employees will participate in Owners’ Performance Award (OPA) in accordance with WestJet Encore policy.

3. Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP)
• Pilots may elect to participate in WestJet Airlines Ltd. share purchase plan after the completion of 3 months of service. Up to 10% of an employee’s salary may be directed to share purchase, with a 100% match by WestJet Encore.

Restricted Areas pass
• As a condition of employment, pilots must be able to obtain an Airport Restricted Area Pass within 6 weeks of commencing Ground School.
• An application submission for an Airport Restricted Area Pass calls for the following:
o Be a Canadian citizen or if a landed immigrant, have a Permanent Resident Card
o Provide satisfactory traceable history of the last 5 years
o Provide Transport Canada with contact addresses and dates for school, employment, residence and travel
o Have a clear criminal record as a thorough background check will be conducted

Career Progression
• Career progression opportunity within WestJet is available after a minimum of 24 months of service as a WestJet Encore Pilot.

APPENDIX A:

WESTJET ENCORE PILOT HOURLY RATE OF PAY

FIRST OFFICER
Step 1 Start Rate $38.00
Step 2 Completed one (1) year $38.76
Step 3 Completed two (2) years $39.54
Step 4 Completed three (3) Years $40.33

CAPTAIN
Step 1 Start Rate $68.00
Step 2 Completed one (1) year $69.36
Step 3 Completed two (2) years $70.75
Step 4 Completed three (3) Years $72.16
---------- ADS -----------

M. Essaie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Encore's Pay and Work Conditions

Post by M. Essaie »

Inexpressibly sad.

How did we get here? A family trying to live in Calgary will have to draw on their savings as long as Dad works at Westjet. I say that situation is absurd.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

M. Essaie wrote:A family trying to live in Calgary will have to draw on their savings as long as Dad works at Westjet.
Or Mom...

:)

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

With all due respect if you have to draw on your savings making that kind of money you are horribly bad at managing your money.

Cat19
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cat19 »

+1 ^

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Really?! You guys have obviously never looked at the price of real estate in YYC or YVR..

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

CanadaEH wrote:With all due respect if you have to draw on your savings making that kind of money you are horribly bad at managing your money.
You're kidding, right?

WJ paid F/Os more when it stared....in 1996.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

WJ paid F/Os more when it stared....in 1996.[/quote]

So why are they not paid the same as in 1996?. There is a 18% decrease in starting pay since WJ started operations, where the cost of living has rose by at least 34%. The Captain's pay is higher than in 1996, so WHY not the First Officers?.

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

flyer 1492 wrote:WJ paid F/Os more when it stared....in 1996.

So why are they not paid the same as in 1996?. There is a 18% decrease in starting pay since WJ started operations, where the cost of living has rose by at least 34%. The Captain's pay is higher than in 1996, so WHY not the First Officers?.

Don't know. In 1996, it was 60/40k. I guess the gap Captain and F/O has increased because whomever made the scale thinks they can get away with paying less.

One thing that is missing since 1996; upside. Where is it? No stock options. I see the risk, where is the reward?

Cisbour
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cisbour »

With SR if you consider base pay plus hour credit pay you manage to reach 40k without taking any risk. There's no encore is better than SR I'd say it might even be the contrary..

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

I'm pretty sure encore is good for flight crews. They were surprised at the amount of interest.

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

Not to burst anyones bubble on their race to the bottom theories, nor their "how low can we go?" moans... Many moons ago I got hired on as an FO at a similar (but without the upside) company on a similar (read lower number) aircraft. Working through the numbers it looks to me like at 70hrs (the min) a month the fresh Encore FO will be my oh so long ago wage plus 3% per yr since then. Conclusion??? Encore isnt mining new depths.... Its the same old sucky pay its always been for new guys at regionals. Errr I mean at any airline.
One thing a new Encore guy will have is an upside and potential I could have only dreamed of.... If you cant figure out what that is Im afraid I cant help you.

tiguan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiguan »

I don't think Encore is having any trouble finding people, a few Dash Captains have left our company to go there and are taking a pretty hefty pay cut.

Sparkfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sparkfarmer »

Westjet's compensation policy is to pay industry median, right? Now, I'm pretty sure that more than a dartboard was used in the decision to set the current pay scale. If the wages are below that median for a regional airline then please, lets be constructive and post some comparators. If they are out of line, then Encore needs to review them and probably would if asked to by PACT.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Jazz

Sparkfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sparkfarmer »

And what is their scale in hourly rate of pay?

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

here is Jazz pay scale. (Don't know how to paste it directly, sorry)

Attachments
Pilot Wages.pdf
(63.61 KiB) Downloaded 3585 times
Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

it really doesnt make much difference between the two when you base it off an 80 hr block and I dont think the likes of mig or flyer will have any influence to change it so not sure what’s being accomplished by the continued drivel :)
i guess a couple big differences are that one should be gone to wj after a couple years and apparently the date of hire is very close to agreement...big in my mind compared to a withering jazz.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Hmmm...withering Jazz..How about other benefits at Jazz:

Pension
$85/hr per diems
health & benefit packages that blows Encore's out of water
Uniform dry cleaning allowance/shoes
12 GDO's /month (average 14-15 days off)
O/T starts @ 85 credits
Union (whether you like it or not)
Scheduling flexibility (even if you are pretty junior)
Top notch training
FREE accommodations for initial training + plus per diems
FREE recurrent training accommodations for out of base pilots
Superior J/S, Interline ZED and Air Canada world wide pass travel

You keep dreaming about your flow-through Squid....at a company that is eventually going to hit saturation point in its Domestic/Trans-border network and that is ALREADY taking away some routes giving them to more efficient Q400 fleet. (Which makes total business sense btw.)
And where average captain is much younger then at AC/Jazz....so I wonder where are current WJ F/O's going in the future...other then stagnate for few more years then what was once a quick upgrade. On the other hand AC/Jazz are fairly mature and current attrition rate at AC is pure proof that they will need to upgrade/hire more people in the next 5 years.

whodareswins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whodareswins »

Below is a comparison of first year base salaries or what you are GUARANTEED to earn. It does not include flying above the minimum guarantee, per diems, profit sharing, ESP, over time, etc. Those are NOT guaranteed, they are extra. Sure you're salary will be higher but I personally only budget my life around what I am guaranteed to take home every year.

Captain

Porter: $77,749

Sky Regional: $67,640*

Encore: $57,120

First Officer

Porter: $41,616

Sky Regional: $40,720*

Encore: $31,920

*includes 680 flight credits which are guaranteed every year provided you remain employed with them for a full year.

I would add Jazz to the list but I don't know what the minimum guaranteed or base salary is.

Return to “WestJet”