New hire future...

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

New hire future...

Post by Lemon »

Would you take a job at Jazz right now? Looks like the current CPA is good til 2020, so that means that theres some sort of job security, right? Just wondering what peoples opinions are, would you stay at a 703/704, making slightly more money, or jump to jazz?
---------- ADS -----------

baron_dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New hire future...

Post by baron_dude »

No one knows what the future holds. I took a job at Jazz a year ago and it has turned out to be a positive step for me. For you it may not...depends on what you want long term. Will Jazz be around in 7 years, maybe. If you do join us I can tell you that you will meet some great people, have some fun and be treated better than any other job I have had. No one I started with or have talked to thinks it was a bad decision to join Jazz. Will some move on, yes. Will you gain valuable experience in the airline world, absolutely. Will we all end up unemployed, maybe, but that is true of any job.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Thanks for the reply. Any pilots live in tbay and commute?

baron_dude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by baron_dude »

There are a few...I don't know if they frequent this forum though.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I lived in TBay for 4 years up until last April before I joined Jazz and I can say that it was difficult to get on flights due to the high loads. It was easier when they ran the 705 in there because you could always count on a few open seats in executive class. Now with the Q and small RJ, most days the loads are full. Otherwise it's WestJet or Porter down to the Island and then catch a cab. Not that there are any "easy" commutes, but TBay would definitely be a more difficult one I would think.

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

Commuted out of TBay for almost seven years now. I have never missed a check in due to commuting and usually don't require the jumpseat. That said...every now and then the flights are full but with WestJet and Porter options available I have had no problems. Our (Jazz) travel priority has changed recently (for the worse) so that may make commuting a little more difficult but I haven't had an issue yet.

MRP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MRP »

I commuted out of YQT with Jazz for 2 years. I was initially based in YYC for 4 months, that was harder as I had to make a connection through YWG or YYZ. Once based in YYZ I thought it was relatively easy. I had a crashpad and bid 4 day pairings with early check-in. Flew down the night before, and on day 4 check-out was usually by noon so no problem getting home. Loads were pretty good since the Q400 took the route. Per Diem at Jazz was much better than what I have now (AC) and it covered the cost of the commute, crashpad, food, beer, etc. Eventually moved south because of family reasons, otherwise I'd still be in YQT.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

I'll echo what others have said.....the YQT-YYZ is very doable. Porter wasn't there when I was doing the commute, so that adds a great option (free too!). You will be a C4, but you still take first priority for the Jazz jumpseat if it comes down to it. When I did the commute (2008) it was mostly CRJ100/200s, with two or three CRJ705s. Now with the Q every flight has 74 seats (I think there may be one CRJ100 flight), but I think they may have reduced the frequency.

As for Jazz, it really is a great place to work. I left after 5 years solely due to the fact that when 2020 rolls around I'll still have 28 years left before I hit 65. I didn't like the prospect of possibly not upgrading and being punted to the street with no 705 PIC time. However, it's a great place to learn the 705 world, and you'll love the people you'll work with (especially the DH8 and Q400 skippers!). However, if you're looking for quick advancement to the left seat, it's not gonna happen. When I left I was barely in the top half of the YYZ Q400 FO list (and would've been bottom 20% on RJ, and around top 1/3 on the classic dash). I did have a great schedule, and got some YSB layovers, which made it hard to leave.

EC

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Well the job ad in the flyjazz.ca career section doesn't exist anymore..Hiring is done for the short term future?

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

They get a pool of candidates, pause for a short while and then post the job add again.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”