May 6th

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

May 6th

Post by razorblade »

Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)
---------- ADS -----------

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: May 6th

Post by JLA »

For the guys in the know, is the hiring at Jazz likely to continue throughout 2013?
There is already a GS planned for April 22nd, yet another is scheduled for May 6th. Are they that desperate?

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...

FlyingFinn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingFinn »

Heard a couple of them went to Sunwing. Heard Westjet snagged some also, but not sure of how many or if it was for Encore.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

crj_705 wrote:This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...
Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Old fella wrote:

Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............
Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rudder wrote:
Old fella wrote:

Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.

Yup, I can now understand. Back in 1987, I was offered a right seat job at Air Nova and starting salary was just over $20K if my memory serves me correctly(starting $$$ not much better now 26 yrs later). I didn't bite as I had a good executive position, better half had a good job, two small youngins and it would have been a very deep cut of our total income. I was a tad bit older so the lure of an airline,uniform with associated stripes didn't matter much at that time. Progression to left seat would be rapid of course however my salary was better that AN Capt at that time. Also, I might add there was a move involved at my expense. However that is the past........

Personally I don't blame pilots for moving on from airlines like Jazz, Porter et al if money isn't what it should be there and better opportunities exist at major carriers. If Jazz is a stepping-stone airline, well they made themselves one and pilot transition to better money results. Nuff said.

Cheers
:drinkers:

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

That many? That's a bit higher then normal, but that confirms the rumor about guys going to Encore/Sky....and yes, Sunwing was in a need of 50 guys "yesterday", many going to Europe for the summer....so sounds about right.
razorblade wrote:Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)
And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Mig29 wrote:
razorblade wrote:Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)
And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:
Oh I intend to! :smt040

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I think a lot of guys would stick around at Jazz if the upgrade times weren't so long. Plus we are down about 12 aircraft (not counting the Thomas Cook experement) from 5 years ago. Pay is decent, plus many other perks like excellent perdiems but the progression within the company is painfully slow.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Wow, it really sounds like the industry movement and hiring prospects are excellent for low time pilots right now. As someone about to make the jump into aviation, I hope this continues in the foreseeable future. And from what I hear, it seems like it will.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

cj555,

just to be clear. Lot of these junior FOs leaving (and some captains) have been at Jazz for 5+ years and have significant flying time, which is why Sky and Encore is taking them gladly offering them possibly a left seat. Some are going WJ or Sunwing as well.

Having said that, yes, some are fairly junior guys who have left but I would say majority are as described above.

cheers,
M.

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flap_Operator »

Any idea of what the new bids will be for may 06th g/s? I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?
Position freeze, yes, but position is not base, if another base opens up on your equipment, you can bid for it. I saw a new hire in the crew room who was awarded YYC, just finished line indoc and is going to YUL base.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Not to mention there is an april 22 course, so bid will most likely changing again after that gs.

Sheldoncooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sheldoncooper »

Last edited by Sheldoncooper on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
volez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by volez »

Hey guys,

Same question for the April 22nd gs , any YYC Q400 or even rj spots ?

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

RJ doubtful, Q4, quite possibly

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Heard a rumour today (from jazz employee's) that Jazz is still looking to hire another 150 in the near future. Any truth to this? Their original bid at the beginning of the year was i think around 40 spots, APPARENTLY (dont quote me) they have hired over 80 so far this year...

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

tdp19 wrote: (dont quote me)
:lol:

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”