Upgrade hours

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

natural
Rank 0
Rank 0

Upgrade hours

Post by natural »

Hello corporate world,

Interested in corporate career and wondering about the captain upgrade hours in the corporate world in terms of quitting the current 703/704 METurbinePIC gig?
Would 3500TT, 3000METurbine, 500METurbinePIC be sufficient for an upgrade on a corporate jet after 1-2 years on type provided there's movement?
I understand it will greatly vary on the type of jet and flying they do as well as company itself but looking for ball park figures from experinced corporate drivers. It would make my decision easier in terms of making the move now. Any info would be much appreciated.....

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Upgrade hours

Post by Bushed »

Stick with your turbo prop and build a couple thousand hrs pic time. See to many fo's with no pic time that can't be upgraded. Don't be in a rush, enjoy the ride.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

natural wrote:Hello corporate world,

Interested in corporate career and wondering about the captain upgrade hours in the corporate world in terms of quitting the current 703/704 METurbinePIC gig?
Would 3500TT, 3000METurbine, 500METurbinePIC be sufficient for an upgrade on a corporate jet after 1-2 years on type provided there's movement?
I understand it will greatly vary on the type of jet and flying they do as well as company itself but looking for ball park figures from experinced corporate drivers. It would make my decision easier in terms of making the move now. Any info would be much appreciated.....

Cheers
to directly answer your question, I would say no. Rather, try going to a 704 charter operation where you'd get the upgrade in a reasonable time(1.5 - 3 yrs), assuming conditions as you stated. Places like Sunwest, London Air, etc. A few years in 704 jet operation, then a move to 604 jet operations with potential for upgrade after 2-5 years is more likely than a direct entry into 604 ops from a turbo prop background. The small corporate flight departments don't want to train you. They are small but busy. So a turnkey type of candidate is what they are looking for.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Like the others said, go get some PIC jet time with a charter/fractional outfit then go look for a corporate gig. Most private operators hire captains only, and operate co-captains. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they maybe few and far between. My company only hires for captain positions, and we generally look for 6000+ hours, a lot of PIC and jet time before you're even considered. That's to just start on our King Air 200.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

6000 hours for a King Air?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is another example of why the Canadian aviation industry is so f*cked up.

Just to annoy you lot who are feeling smug about getting a B200 at 6000 hours, I should point out to you that I have a friend who is a captain on a 340 for Emirates - he just turned 30. Bought himself a new Porsche for his own birthday. :wink:

Don't listen to them - Go for it, Natural, apply for all the jobs you want, not only those you "think" you are qualified for. Xsbank's Number One Rule For Career Advancement.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

xsbank wrote: Don't listen to them - Go for it, Natural, apply for all the jobs you want, not only those you "think" you are qualified for. Xsbank's Number One Rule For Career Advancement.
Definitely agree....apply for the jobs you want. You never know.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

xsbank wrote:6000 hours for a King Air?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is another example of why the Canadian aviation industry is so f*cked up.
You own the plane, and you pay the salary, guess what? You get to set the bar where you want. Don't like it? Don't apply. If no one does, the bar lowers. This outfit treats and pays well, so they get 6000 hr king air drivers.

natural
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natural »

Thanx guys......appreciate everyone's 2 cents.....cheers

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

xsbank wrote:6000 hours for a King Air?

Just to annoy you lot who are feeling smug about getting a B200 at 6000 hours, I should point out to you that I have a friend who is a captain on a 340 for Emirates - he just turned 30. Bought himself a new Porsche for his own birthday. :wink:

Don't listen to them - Go for it, Natural, apply for all the jobs you want, not only those you "think" you are qualified for. Xsbank's Number One Rule For Career Advancement.
Hey I don't set the minimum requirements, but it is also a six figure salary to go with that King Air, and after a year you are typed on C680 as well. We don't hire co-pilots, the boss wants high time guys with a lot of experience, and according to the resume pile, there's no shortage. Corporate is a different ball game.

Return to “Corporate”