Jumpseat Priority

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jumpseat Priority

Post by JLA »

EIC: Calm air, bearskin, perimeter, Keewatin Air group.
---------- ADS -----------

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 705dreamer »

Keewatin may be a bit of a bad example seeing how they are not on the jumpseat list.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Um, I see keewatin on the list, right below kelowna flight craft

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 705dreamer »

Looking at the latest OAL jumpseat list in flight ops doesn't have KFC either. Is there another list I am missing maybe?

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

What does OAL stand for?

onetreehill
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onetreehill »

Original Aircanada Losers. :wink:

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

OAL = other air line

The list on Jazznet is older than the list on the Jumpseat committee web page. While not on the Jazznet list, I see Keewatin listed on the newer ALPA page.

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 705dreamer »

Thanks Canoehead. I will have to take a look at that one. Kinda crappy that they don't match.

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

Strange that you say to talk to the crew beforehand. I'm fairly up to snuff on US jumpseat procedures (where you NEVER under any circumstances omit asking the Captains permission personally), but every time I've ever jumpseated with Canadian Airliens I've asked the gate agents if I should speak to the captain beforehand. Not once have they told me to, nor allowed me to. With WestJet, the pilots usually don't even know I was on the plane until I shake their hand afterwards and say thanks.

My company has OAL recips as well, would you recommend I go out of my way to speak to them before hand anyway?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

In Canada we have allowed jumpseats to be taken out of the hands of the Captain, in the US the Captain still owns the jumpseats. They were willing to fight for it down there, we weren't. It's as simple as that.

However, all reciprocal jumpseat agreements that I have ever seen require Captain's permission even though you are not in the cockpit. It's not well known, and most crews are surprised when you do it, but it is a requirement nonetheless. It's in your best interest to go to the cockpit every time you board on a jumpseat ticket and say hello and thank you to the crew if you haven't already gotten permission. In one case when I did so the Captain was surprised that he hadn't been told before and went up the bridge against traffic to explain to the gate agent that they have to get his permission before loading any jumpseat pilots. I would suggest all Captains should be doing the same thing. In the US when they lost their in cockpit reciprocal jumpseats many Captains made it a point to walk through the boarding lounge before each flight looking for commuting pilots as part of a "no pilot left behind" campaign. In Canada it seems we couldn't care less about who gets left behind.

mars4
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mars4 »

At the same time Westjet offers as many JS that there are seats
available in the plane ...

So if everybody starts saying hello to the crew
I can already see the line up in front of the flight deck door :D ...

Like you mentioned : it's not anymore the captain business in Canada ...
All that maters are the numbers in the FMS at the end :)

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

mars4 wrote:So if everybody starts saying hello to the crew
I can already see the line up in front of the flight deck door :D ...
It is still a requirement, even with Westjet.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Now that I'm a jumpseater on Jazz flights I find that the agents lately have been good about asking the captain, or if its an agent I know (in YYZ or YSB) they just make me go ask. I like to go up to ask permission either way, plus it's a good way to catch up with my friends at Jazz. At WJ, I haven't had a single soul come up to talk to us, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I just haven't many (or any) jumpers.

EC

Beach 200
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Beach 200 »

EC,

I was just flying with a Captain the other day whom heard you had tried to get the physical jump seat with your WJ ID.
I doubt this is what happened, however the practice of asking the Captain via the gate agent made the request come off the wrong way. Just as a heads up, don't! Do as everyone else and board by Thanking the crew at the beginning or end for the ride. Your name has been thrown around as being kinda "Sneaky" as a ex employee trying to get the jump seat up front! Again, I know it is not what your doing (cause you know we can't anyway), but some guys are getting that idea on the line when getting asked by the agent if we can take a jumpseater.

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

So we all agree the procedure is to ask the desk agent first? Then thank the pilots when boarding the airplane?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Agreed.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

As for me trying to "sneak" into the j/s, I know the time you're taking about. The agent was the one who asked for me, I did not initiate the request at all. I think he either didn't know I was at WJ, or didn't know the j/s rules. I told him afterward that I couldn't physically sit in the jump anymore. I'll PM you a funny story about that topic.

Kind of funny that after my post yesterday I see a Jazz f/o getting off the plane in YYC today who made no effort to come up before the flight...we had no clue we had a jumper. I'm not too upset, because judging by his brand new roller bag and wrinkle-free uniform, he was probably pretty new. Perhaps with all the new-hires at all airlines it's time for our respective associations to put out a memo on j/s etiquette. I know the ALPA board always had at least one thread going about someone venting about other companies' j/s etiquette.

Lets keep the (nearly) free rides going!
EC

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Beach 200, I can't seem to PM you. Send me a PM if you can.

EC

monkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by monkey »

I used to jump on WJ often back when I commuted, rarely the door was open after the flight so for the most part they rarely new I was there. Not sure what etiquette your talking about, I've had a lot of j/s and if they say thanks or not it is no big deal either way. Its a reciprocal program we both benefit.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

The etiquette I refer to is simply saying thank you to the captain for the ride, rather than acting like he owes you a ride because your company offers him the same courtesy. And it is just that, professional courtesy. And I was taught as a child that when someone is courteous towards you, you thank them.

And on the legal side, some companies' COMs have a rule that the PIC must (MUST) check the j/s pilot's ID. I know Jazz is this way. Porter is the same. Our COM at WJ is pretty vague, but when you follow the paper trail on our company intranet, in one area it says that a license/medical and/or company MUST be presented at some point. Another document clearly states that the PIC has final say on whether or not a jumpseater rides. My guess is that since our COM points to other documents, most guys aren't aware of the actual rules.

As for our doors being closed after a flight, in my experience we always open up ASAP, usually within a minute or two after shutdown (as long as the cabin door is open). Bottom line, we're always happy when we can help out another pilot. As a commuter who uses the recip j/s on every commute, I love knowing that the free rides go both ways.

Take care!
EC

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”