Jumpseat Priority

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Jumpseat Priority

Post by mbav8r »

JUMPSEAT ETIQUETTE
(A reprint of an article by Captain Brigitte Lakah, UPS 757/767)
Jumpseating is a professional courtesy among airline pilots, and one of the best
benefits of being a pilot. It is used to commute to and from work and for leisure
travel. The captain is the final authority as to who rides and is not to be
challenged at any time, for any reason. If denied a jumpseat, say “thanks
anyway” and try a different flight.
A growing number of airlines have been approved to use the Cockpit Access
Security System (CASS) to identify crewmembers and will let them sit in their
cockpit if the flight is full. Airlines that have not been CASS approved will let you
ride in the passenger cabin only if there is an empty passenger seat. To sit in the
cockpit, you must be properly dressed (business casual, usually), and present
your airline ID and passport to the gate agent who will verify your identity and
employment. Know your own airline’s code too, as this must also be input into
the CASS system.
Some airlines will allow multiple, or “unlimited” jumpseaters, while some only
allow the amount of jumpseaters equal to the number of jumpseats in the cockpit.
Presently you may not sit in the cockpit of an airline on international flights. You
may only obtain a seat in the passenger cabin. Some airlines will give you a first
or business class seat, and some won’t. Keep in mind that most airlines who
allow jumpseating internationally require that you check-in 75 to 90 minutes prior
to departure in order to satisfy TSA requirements.
If you have a question or a problem with jumpseating around the system, contact
your own airline’s jumpseat coordinator. Be prepared with detailed information
such as the date, time, airport, gate, name(s), etc.
Common courtesy is a must while jumpseating. Ask the gate agent when they
would like you to board. Upon reaching the airplane, introduce yourself to the
lead flight attendant and ask if you may ask the captain for a ride. Never bypass
asking the captain, even if the agent gave you a boarding pass with a seat
assignment. If sitting in the cockpit, comply with sterile cockpit rules and offer to
help out (monitoring ATC, scanning for traffic, passing beverages, etc.).
Lastly, give the captain and first officer thanks for giving the ride.
Always be the consummate professional while jumpseating. It is far and away
one of the best career benefits we have.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Here's another one from ALPA

Jumpseat Etiquette and Courtesy

Remember that jumpseating is a privilege and not a right. The following etiquette guidelines and restrictions should always be observed while exercising jumpseat privileges:

• Dress code is uniform, business, or business casual.

• Jumpseat availability is usually first come, first served (however, most airlines give their own pilots and in some cases subsidiaries a higher priority). Most, but not all, airlines allow multiple jumpseat riders when unoccupied cabin seats are available. The captain makes the final decisions, not the gate agent or “computer.” Due consideration to union affiliation is also a consideration when conflicts arise.

• Check-in procedures vary by airport and airline. Allow sufficient time to check in at either the ticket counter, gate, or in some cases both.

• Remember, jumpseating is a privilege requiring professional conduct at all times. Be courteous to agents when requesting the jumpseat. Always ask the captain’s permission and offer thanks for the ride, even if occupying a cabin seat. Never let an agent rush you past the cockpit without asking the captain’s permission. FARs require the captain to know you are on board. Identify yourself as a jumpseater to the flight attendants when boarding. Some airlines require non-revenue passengers and jumpseaters to board last and conversely deplane last.

• Leave your bags on the jet bridge (or otherwise ‘out of the way’) while you are introducing yourself. Limit your carry-on bags to a minimum when jumpseating. This behooves you because you are most likely one of the last to board—when overhead space is quite limited.

• Even employees and other non-revs will have priority over jumpseaters, who generally have the lowest priority of anyone. You may be asked to deplane at the last minute. Airlines will not delay flights for jumpseaters. If we cause delays on other airlines, we could jeopardize reciprocal agreements with that airline.

• Remember that you are an additional crew member. That means that if you are sitting in the flight deck, keep your eyes and ears open. Wear a headset. Follow sterile cockpit rules, but speak up when necessary. Remember to turn off your cell phone as soon as you get in the cockpit, and cease text messaging. Even during cruise, it is best practice while in the cockpit to ask the captain if he/she minds if you read or do a crossword puzzle, etc. Remember, 10,000 feet and below is a sterile cockpit environment (in some cases, above 10,000 feet also) and, as an additional crewmember, reading, talking, etc. are not allowed. Your best behavior ensures jumpseat agreements in the future.

• If offered a seat in first class by the captain, inform the lead flight attendant of this permission. A first-class seat doesn’t automatically entitle you to the same first class benefits as revenue passengers. If they can accommodate you in first class, do not drink alcoholic beverages. While you are exercising the privileges afforded you by FAR 121.547 or 121.583 (i.e., jumpseating), you are considered an additional crewmember, and the alcohol limitations of FAR 91 apply. Just because you get a seat in the back does not relieve you from this responsibility. Even when in plainclothes, remember that you are still considered an additional crewmember by most airlines, and you may be required to perform duties in case of unusual or emergency circumstances.

• Always express your gratitude to the crew when deplaning. No matter how rushed, remember to say “Thank you.” Some airlines’ policies are for non-revs (including jumpseaters) to deplane last. Again, stay out of the way of revenue passengers, and provide any assistance, if necessary. Use your best judgment, especially if you stowed your bags farther aft than your seat.

• Be polite and courteous to gate agents. Remember that they do not get the same benefits of riding on other carriers for free, but never, ever let them talk you into taking the jumpseat or becoming a jumpseater on a flight for which you are ticketed—no matter how nicely they ask or what type of favor you may think you are doing them. They may even offer you vouchers, but this practice has resulted in lost reciprocal jumpseat agreements in the past. The jumpseat belongs to the captain, not the gate agent! It is not just another seat!

• If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, and/or complaints, please contact your Jumpseat coordinator. Be prepared with detailed information such as the date, time, gate (so it can be accurately tracked through CASS), and name of the gate agent.

Always be the consummate professional while jumpseating. It is one of the most valuable career benefits we have

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Two great articles, thanks for posting them!

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

"FARs require the captain to know you are on board"

...as is the case with CAR's. It is a violation not to know.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Bajan Pilot wrote:"FARs require the captain to know you are on board"

...as is the case with CAR's. It is a violation not to know.
Would you happen to have the regulatory reference handy for that?

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Hey guys, got almost bumped the other day when I asked for a jumpseat by a Jazz captain. Although I've JS numerous times with Jazz recently, the captain couldn't find my company's name on his carrier list, which he showed me. I'm guessing he showed me the OAL list. Where is the most recent up to date list for carriers allowed to JS with Jazz? Somebody mentionned the ALPA webpage. Anyone?
You can PM me the information if needed.

Thanks folks.

Cave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cave »

JLA,

I'm pretty sure I was the Capt of that flight. (out of YZV ?)

When ALPA came out with their iPhone App that included the OAL list, I thought 'great ! I won't have to carry and update the stupid paper list anymore!".
Well, as you saw, the list on the App is not up to date, and is certainly different than the printable list shown on our ALPA website page. There's even a link to download the App in the ALPA jumseat webpage. I guess now I'll download the printable list as well !
And as you read in this thread, I might not be the only one confused on this. So much for trying to follow the rules! :smt017

Anyways, when you mentionned Calm Air and Bearskin, you were on.
I hope the rest of your trip went well.

klimman123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by klimman123 »

What is Jazz's policy on wearing jeans while occupying the jumpseat? At AC, jeans are allowed as long as they are neat and clean. A Jazz FA just noticed I was wearing jeans and commented I was lucky I had a seat in the back because jeans in the jumpseat was not permitted. This seems a little weird, anyone know the actual policy. As a regular commuter I would hate to be rufused the jump due to my own ignorance.

Cheers

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

klimman123 wrote:What is Jazz's policy on wearing jeans while occupying the jumpseat? At AC, jeans are allowed as long as they are neat and clean. A Jazz FA just noticed I was wearing jeans and commented I was lucky I had a seat in the back because jeans in the jumpseat was not permitted. This seems a little weird, anyone know the actual policy. As a regular commuter I would hate to be rufused the jump due to my own ignorance.

Cheers
Business casual or better. I doubt most guys actually care, but as always there are a few who have problems working outside the box.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Most guys won't care. Some do. I got on a flight one time and had the ICFA come up to me and tell me that the Captain had noticed my shoes when I got on and thought they were a little too casual for his liking. She was very adamant that I was luck to get by with this particular captain.

biatch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by biatch »

Whether it's the js, or a seat in the cabin, employees and those using recip priveleges are expected to be dressed business casual or in uniform. That's the minimum. What business casual means to some people is atrocious. And if by chance you may be upgraded to J, don't be surprised if you're told you're not dressed well enough (jeans, sandals, etc...). And leave the damned pillow at home on your bed.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

biatch wrote:Whether it's the js, or a seat in the cabin, employees and those using recip privileges are expected to be dressed business casual or in uniform.
That is not exactly correct. Perhaps you should read the dress code information on the pass website again. You can where jeans and more casual shoes (not sneakers). But the policy is fairly liberal now as long as you don't look like a slob. But they won't stick you in business if your are not dressed business casual or better.

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

How hard is it to just toss on a somewhat nice pair of pants and look presentable for a basically free flight?

NB - I'm not the kind of guy to get worked up about what someone is wearing, either.

TKTguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TKTguy »

The AC dress code is quite relaxed now compared to when I first started.
You can wear sneakers and jeans in both cabins.
This is a list of the only items not accepted.

•Any type of beach clothing and beach sandals/footwear
•Jogging suits, sweatpants/sweatshirts or work-out clothing **
•Tank-tops, t-shirts
•Shorts, Bermuda shorts or leggings
•Extremely short or micro mini skirts
•Any type of provocative, tight-fitting, revealing or see-through clothing

I still find it amazing that people will still show up to check in and can't even meet
these requirements.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

truedude wrote:
biatch wrote:Whether it's the js, or a seat in the cabin, employees and those using recip privileges are expected to be dressed business casual or in uniform.
That is not exactly correct. Perhaps you should read the dress code information on the pass website again. You can where jeans and more casual shoes (not sneakers). But the policy is fairly liberal now as long as you don't look like a slob. But they won't stick you in business if your are not dressed business casual or better.
You can fly in J wearing jeans as well!

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

[quote="TKTguy"]The AC dress code is quite relaxed now compared to when I first started.
You can wear sneakers and jeans in both cabins.
This is a list of the only items not accepted.

•Any type of beach clothing and beach sandals/footwear
•Jogging suits, sweatpants/sweatshirts or work-out clothing **
•Tank-tops, t-shirts
•Shorts, Bermuda shorts or leggings
•Extremely short or micro mini skirts
•Any type of provocative, tight-fitting, revealing or see-through clothing

That list of what's not accepted describes most of the travelers in T3 especially line 2

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

How do you do that quote thing where the quote appears in a white box?

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

av8ts wrote:How do you do that quote thing where the quote appears in a white box?
<quote>...</quote>

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”