Helicopter CPL to fixed wing PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Helicopter CPL to fixed wing PPL

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I am currently teaching a 100 hr Helicopter CPL for the fixed wing PPL. For folks who have already done this do you have any advice ?
---------- ADS -----------

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Helicopter CPL to fixed wing PPL

Post by Indanao »

I did mine the other way around. About 13 hrs. ( If all preliminary air work is covered. ) and you Solo in a Fixed Wing. Same for Helicopter. But, for those 13hrs. you don't know what your doing. I imagine going to Fixed Wing after Helicopter would be the same. It's only when you get into Cross Country stuff that the extra training comes in handy.

Bell206
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Helicopter CPL to fixed wing PPL

Post by Bell206 »

I have a heli commercial and just did my fixed wing PPL although if the pilot only has 100 hrs experience it probably wont be to different than teaching a fresh pilot the handling skills. There are credits for the PPL conversion which reduce the total time required to 30 hrs. Also a credit for the 40 hr ground school to be reduced to 20 hrs. I did my initial commercial helicopter 80hr ground school with a fixed school then a differences for the heli so I got away without doing the PPL 20hr ground school as I had already done it with a fixed wing school which might save time and money. Also the pilot will only have to write the cheaper $35 PARAC exam which is only 35 question if I remember correct. I would recommend if the pilot learns quick, is proficient and accomplishes all the requirements for the PPL to do as much as possible as instrument training because he can use 15hrs of instrument fixed wing towards the helicopter group 4 instrument rating. 20 hrs ground simulated. 15 fixed wing and 5 hrs helicopter is all you need for the 40hr Group 4 instrument rating. I did it the other way around did my helicopter instrument rating first using a fixed wing aircraft then flew the remainder hours off to meet the PPL requirements a few years later. Good luck and might as well get the most value for money out of the training.

(6) Credits

Private Pilots lisence

(a) Knowledge

(i) An applicant who holds a Pilot Permit - Gyroplane or a private or higher type pilot licence for helicopters may, when applying for the issue of Private Pilot Licence - Aeroplane have the 40 hour ground instruction requirement reduced to 20 hours.

(ii) An applicant who holds a Pilot Permit - Gyroplane or a private or higher type pilot licence for helicopters shall in lieu of completing the written examination PPAER obtain a minimum of 60% in the written examination Private Pilot Aeroplane Rating - Alternate Category (PARAC).

(b) Experience

(i) The total flight time must include a minimum of 30 hours in aeroplanes.

(ii) Where an applicant holds a pilot permit or licence in another aircraft category flight time credits shall be claimed as follows:
(amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(A) Helicopter and Gyroplane

(I) a maximum of 15 hours towards the total flight time; and

(II) a maximum of 4 hours solo flight time, 2 hours of which shall be credited to solo cross-country flight time.

(B) Glider

A maximum of 5 hours pilot-in-command flight time towards the total flight time.

(C) Three Axis Ultra-light Aeroplane

A maximum of 10 hours pilot-in-command flight time towards the total flight time.

(D) Instrument Flight Time

An applicant who holds a private or higher type licence in another category shall be credited with instrument flight time acquired in the other category towards meeting the instrument experience requirements provided that the instrument flight time acquired in the other category is not credited towards the 17 hours of dual instruction flight time or the 12 hours solo flight time.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”