Hiring Age

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hiring Age

Post by airspeed250 »

I was wondering if Jazz hires entry level first officers in their early to mid forties? It probably does not happen very often since not many people go into aviation in their thirties, but that is my situation now. I am working through the commercial license and about to make a career change, mid thirties, and would like to work for Jazz once I have the experience.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by airspeed250 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Age

Post by FL320 »

Age is not a problem, some had mid to late forties when they joined the company (but they probably had flight experience commensurate with age).
I think the main reason why people do not really apply past 40 is that you will start at 42000$ plus per diems (about 10500 net per y.) and it will take about 10 years and more to get 100k and up as a Captain...

arcticaviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hiring Age

Post by arcticaviator »

I was hired by Jazz just prior to turning 41. So I can definitely say it does happen!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Age is not an issue for airlines in Canada. The airline I worked for once hired a retired AC captain (age 60) who worked here until 65 as an FO. What is an issue is that by the time you're 40, you may not be able to take the big cut in pay that comes with going to an airline for a few years. You may find yourself in a very comfortable job flying a king air in 5 years.

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airspeed250 »

Thanks for the motivating replies everyone. Keep them coming.

dignifly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dignifly »

If I were 40 I'd probably shoot for porter over jazz, upgrade time is around 2-3 years and if this c series thing happens that could sweeten the pot even more. Lots of mid 40 guys have done quite well there. encore pay looks suspect but over the time I'd imagine it would take to go captain at jazz you're probably far ahead. Just my two cents and yes I am completely ignorant as to what is going on at jazz these days but I'd imagine it's around six years at least to the left seat. But I really have no clue, heard it is a great company but is it sustainable under current conditions?

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

whatever your age apply where you wanna go, you may have more to bring on the table than a rookie with more hours than yourself.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”