Letting a medical lapse to get more useful time out of it.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Let your cat-3 expire?

Superbad
No votes
Kind of bad
19%
You're a genius Gump
63%
TC's gonna git you sucka
19%

Total votes: 16

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Meatservo, making fat PPLs and plain girls with piercings cry since 2013.*

spaner wrote: Let us know how it goes. Hey, I encourage you to do it now, just to see what happens.. :smt102
Yeah it won't be super exciting because I let the last one lapse for a few years.
I got to the point I was worried I wouldn't get it back after sciatica and massive (pun intended) weight gain nearly put me in a side walk rascal.

However, that is really another reason I should do like you and I are thinking. Just keep the thing active and have to renew in September 2015 instead of October or whenever.

You could be right BeaverBob, that was the vibe I got from the lady at transport when I got the blue book and asked lots of questions like Gavin off the Kids in the Hall. We had a house fire and I did not even know if my paper license existed after I literally had to dumpster dive to retrieve it at one point. She wanted to issue me a temp, "In case you go flying." I told her, I don't even have a medical. I'm not certain I can get it back. She shrugged.

If your not going to do any flying, I wpuld not bother. We are talking a cat 3 and a ppl here
I dont keep up with cat 3 valid dates though, but are they not a few years now?
Yeah, middle aged guys get 2 years. My last one was 2011.

* If I keep losing weight eventually the fat PPL jokes are going to be hurtful and disrespectful to the guys that are still actually fat PPLs.

Dang, I had not watched that YouTube for a while, it hits a little too close to home. :P
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Letting a medical lapse to get more useful time out of i

Post by Meatservo »

Do you know what's in wieners? Cow's eyes, and dog's heads, and Beefitarian's paper pilots' licenses and medicals, and of course, WIENER FLAVOUR!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

:lol: Belly laugh with a tear. Though the tear could be allergy related from over due vacuuming today.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

For anyone that cares. I just booked for August 2, 10:30am. Everyone else? Ha made you look!

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
A pilot without a medical, is not a pilot
That's a little dramatic. The CFI of the local school -
he died years ago - for 30 years played this trick.

You're over 40. Your Cat 1 medical only lasts for 6
months. What he did was let his medical run out to
the end of the month, and then do his medical on
the first day of the next month.

You only pay for a medical every 7 months instead
of 6 months, which is a 16% discount, which isn't
insignificant.

He did it for 30 years, as a full-time CFI.
While letting your medical lapse is fine for someone who does not need to fly is one thing. However if you rely on a valid medical to fly commercially or need to fly privately within a few weeks, I suggest it is not wise.

I use to do this and thought I was pretty smart......until, I had a personal experience of a new doctor not wanting to validate my lapsed medical. Sh*t :oops: I had to fly the next day and my medical was lapsed! It was a item that Transport Canada had dealt with in the past and they promptly faxed a Letter of Validation upon receiving the doctors report. But it took 3-4 days to get it sorted out and I was not able to fly. Now I always book my medical on the 1-2nd of the month that it is due.

Many things can occur, like a missed appointment or the doctor reschedules your appointment.

Further many companies require proof of a doctors validation before your medical lapses or you get vacation without pay! :?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

According to the CARs, you can do the medical up to 3 months early and keep the same date, just like a PPC. Unfortunately this is one of those cases where Transport Canada does not accept the law and insists that renewing early changes your renewal date.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Laws are for keeping us pilots in line not TC.

captcrunch2013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by captcrunch2013 »

Each time I tried to get a medical for the 1st of the month, I found it next to impossible.
The doctor was booked solid. I ended up having to wait two weeks to get it done.

What is annoying is that TC require a valid medical for doing exams
even when you are not flying commercially.

Just did some training for a ride but use the cat 3 medical till I'm actually going
to do the ride or do another written.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I just looked at my book again this morning and think I may have inadvertently did this already, due to lack of reading comprehension.

Issue date July 11, 2011, medical exam date June...

If there's any repercussions I'll post about them. Unless I don't get Internet in jail.

August 2 edit: physically sound. New stamp in my blue booklet.

Return to “General Comments”