Superior Airways

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

pfrmfr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Superior Airways

Post by pfrmfr »

I can attest to all the views from "older pilots" I flew for O.J on CF-PRZ beech-18 on floats out of horseshoe lake just north of wiebenville in summer 72 sleeping in a box and hauling anything that fitted inside on the outside I had a rack for two canoes between the floats and I used that rack many times last landing of the season at freeze-up was on the grass in armstrong for switching floats for straight skis. ,
then graduated on the 3 on skis with the C/P Bob Ayres in thunder bay that winter 72. I left for wiebenville on the 23rd of jan on CF-XXT and flew with a captain that lasted only two weeks and nearly killed us (me and the loader) every da.
for those who knows the place and the time , the man did among his ineptitudes a dilution on the second night and DID NOT REMOVE THE NOSEBOARDS I was in the outhouse and found slivers of red plywood all over the snow naturally O.J filed the blades !!!!! the next morning and loaded us with 45 gls drums for a revenue flight before heading to Armstrong .. finally OJ fired him. the man actually never flew the DC-3 before!! talk about something very wrong!!,
when I got my interview with Air canada I had to hitchhike my way out of wiebenville in the back of a pick up truck all the way to pickle lake in minus 2o degrees I think a book could be written on the wiebenville homemade strip and camp I could tell newbies about stories that would seems so incredible it defies imagination . PS I did not get on aircan.
---------- ADS -----------

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Feb 07, 2013

Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise operation from the late 1960's to 1974.

Beech 18 CF-YDV showed up in the fleet in the early 1970's. I am not sure where
YDV came from. If it was one of the Beech 18's Mr. Wieben purchased from the
Canadian Air Force in Saskatoon or if he brought it privately from another operator
or person.

CF-YDV was painted in the Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise paint scheme right
from the start. It had the bare metal fuselage with a white top, wide gold stripe
down the sides of the fuselage, red wing tips and a red tail.

The aircraft flew each summer on floats. I mentioned before that I believe that YDV
was on skis in the winter, but the more I think about it, I cannot remember ever seeing
it on skis so I may be wrong about that. The aircraft was fitted with a cargo door
and for that reason it would be strange for it not to have been operated on skis.
When on floats a boat rack was usually installed.

CF-YDV was based and did most of its flying out of Pickle Lake. It went into Sioux
Lookout for float repairs. This Beech was mainly a full time freighter.

A spar mode was installed on the aircraft in the spring of 1974. I believe the spar mode
was installed on the aircraft in Armstrong, but it may have been done in Thunder Bay.
Both bases were installing spar modes on the Beech fleet during the spring of 1974. All
the aircraft were completed when float season started.

I don't know of any accidents or incidents that involved YDV. I do remember YDV breaking
its right front wind shield from the inside out while loading some long sections of pipe into
the cabin at Pickle Lake. The pipes were fed forward into the cockpit from the cargo door
and then once inside were pulled back into the tail end of the aircraft where the survival
gear and ropes, etc were stored. The windshield was replaced and the aircraft returned
to work.

After YDV left the fleet, I believe it may have ended up flying in Northern Manitoba but I
cannot confirm that.

canuck10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canuck10 »

Ahhhh... Superior/Severn Airways.....
In the mid to late 70s while working for the Ministry of Natural Resources and later the Ontario Dept. of Mines and later again,
with Noranda Exploration, I used to fly a lot with Superior out of the "Big Pickle" and later again (with Liz,
an excellent pilot, by the way) out of Pays Plat (early '80s).
While in Pickle Lake, summer 1978, one of their pilots was a French Canadian, I think his name was Ernie.
Every time we used to fly out in the morning while staying in the old Pickle Lake Hotel, we used to watch how he would show up.
Often he used to ride a bicycle, barefoot, and depending on how many of his "cocksaceurs" and how straight he would
ride his bike, we would decide whether we wanted to fly with him that day. If he was zigzagging too much, we would rather
stay home and if possible fly with someone else.
Some of their aircraft I've flown in were Beavers C-FODD, CF-FHO and C-FLLX; Otter CF-GBX and lease Ce185 C-GIUQ

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

March 04, 2013

Beech 18 CF-YQB arrived in Sioux Lookout in the summer of 1969. She was painted
in the Royal Canadian Air Force paint scheme with the bare metal fuselage, white top,
red wing tips and red vertical stabs with the lightning bolt down the sides of the fuselage.
The horizontal stab was bare metal. The name Severn Enterprise - Sioux Lookout, Ontario
was painted on both sides of the fuselage. The aircraft was fitted with a brand new set
of Bristol Floats.

In the summer of 1970 the cartoon character "The Road ." was painted on each side
of the nose of the aircraft by an artist / painter who lived in Sioux Lookout.

Before float season in 1973 the aircraft was repainted in the Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise
paint scheme with the white top, wide gold stripe down the sides of the fuselage, and
red wing tips and vertical stabs. The horizontal stab remained bare metal. The Road
. on the nose was removed when YQB was repainted.

CF-YQB worked most of its life out of Sioux Lookout. This Beech 18 was always on floats.
It was stored behind the office at the water base in Sioux at the end of each float season.
It was never operated on skis by Mr. Wieben.

YQB did not have a cargo door. Even with no cargo door YQB never missed a beat. The
cabin door and door frame were squared off at the bottom so loading freight was no
problem in most cases. This Beech hauled everything she was called upon to move.
Plywood, two by fours, 45 gallon drums, boats, fisherman, hunters, quarters of moose,
and anything else that would go inside or could be tied on the outside. This Beech always
had the boat rack installed and it was used a lot.

The cabin interior of YQB had the original Canadian Air Force green leather walls and ceiling.
It had one fold up bench seat down the right side. The back of the cabin still had the small
compartment that would have been used in its prior life as a washroom. In its new life it
was used to store the emergency equipment and ropes, etc.

I do not recall any serious accidents or incidents that YQB was involved in. In the summer
of 1971 she was hauling a load of freight north out of Sioux Lookout when a cylinder on the
left engine failed. It landed on a river approx. 230 miles north of Sioux and waited for the
maintenance crew to arrive and replace the cylinder. Once replaced the aircraft carried
on north to deliver its load of freight.

The aircraft was fitted with the spar mode in the early spring of 1974 in Armstrong, Ontario.
The aircraft arrived back in Sioux Lookout in May for summer float season.

One point about CF-YQB. Every pilot that flew YQB liked her. They all said it was the best
performing Beech 18 on floats that they ever flew. She got off the water quickly and had
a fast cruising speed. It was fitting that the Road . was painted on the sides of the
aircraft nose.

After 1974 I believe that YQB was operated out of Pickle Lake. I am not sure what became
of this Beech 18 after it left Mr. Wieben's fleet.

YQB was a fine aircraft and sure looked nice coming off the water in Sioux Lookout.

A photo of CF-YQB coming into the dock at the water base in Sioux Lookout.
The boat rack is installed and the Road . can be seen painted on the nose.
This was taken at the end of the day and by the way the floats are sitting in
the water, the aircraft is empty.
This photo was taken in 1971.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

April 02, 2013

Attached is a photo taken at the water base in Sioux Lookout in early August 1970.
The Cessna 180 is CF-VGA. The aircraft sank at the dock overnight. The aircraft
was raised by removing the float compartment covers and placing inner tubes inside
a couple of the compartments. The inner tubes were then inflated and when
the aircraft rose to the surface the float was pumped dry.

The reason the aircraft sank was CF-VGA was fitted with a set of 2870 floats
with the internal water rudder cable system. At the aft bulkhead on each
float the water rudder steering shaft past through a rubber boot. Because probably
80% of the lakes we operated in and out of had no docks, the aircraft were usually
parked tail to the shore for unloading and loading. It was during this time that
these boots could be easily torn.
The rubber boot had been damaged the day before and during the overnight with
water leaking into the rear compartment it flooded the next compartment by way of
the water rudder steering and retract cable holes at the top of each bulkhead.

After this occured a daily check of the rubber seal on the aft bulkheads was
carried out. Also at the start of each float season a new set of rubber seals
were installed.

CF-VGA was the only aircraft in Mr. Wieben's fleet that had the 2870 floats with
the internal cables.

Last edited by beech 18 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

A nitpicking moment sir!

"Orville -- although a real *unt was a pretty interesting guy -- got his start as a test pilot on Hurricanes that were built in Thunder Bay -- he test flew them as the came off the assembly line -- "

It was actually Fort William, Ontario not Thunder Bay.

Cheers...Chris

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Beech we had 3 185's on 2870's, that we inherited from Wheeler, with the internal cables. The exact same thing happened to one of them, only it was tied up on salt water. That didn't do it a bit of good. Whoever came up with the idea of internal cables should have been flogged, it created more problems than it solved.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

May 06, 2013

Ski season normally ended in Sioux Lookout around April 10th to the middle of
April. At about that time the aircraft in Mr. Wieben's fleet started heading back
to their home bases for change over. The Cessna 180's were the last aircraft
taken off the ice.

There were a few springs where the aircraft operating further north stayed a bit
longer than the ice did in Sioux. When that occured the skis were removed and
a set of wheels were installed for the flight south. This was planned in advance
and those aircraft would have taken a set of main wheels with them earlier in the
winter for this purpose. The aircraft would then land at the Sioux Lookout airstrip.

Attached is a photo taken in April 1973 at the water base in Sioux Lookout. The
ice is well on its way to going out. The water has drained off and the ice has
risen. The pine trees that marked the runway are laying on the ice.

The Cessna 180 aircraft in the photo are almost finished ski operations for the winter.

CF-VSD had flown in from Round Lake where it had spent the winter. It is on the
ramp and will be pulled off the ice for change over to floats. VSD was operated on
straight skis each winter. This aircraft spent a lot of its life operating out of Round
Lake. VSD was a Sioux Lookout aircraft.

CF-RNF is on wheel skis and had operated out of Sioux for the winter. It will
depart shortly for Thunder Bay to have floats installed for the summer. This
aircraft was always on wheel skis in the winter. RNF was a Thunder Bay aircraft.

the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by the_cr »

Amazing how little some places change. The base at sioux lookout is immediately recognizable. I'm sure the areas of the photo that you can't see are a world apart from the view today, but what little you can see is virtually unchanged. There is even a 180 currently sitting on the ramp waiting to make the change to floats.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

June 10, 2013

From mid April to early May the base in Sioux Lookout was busy getting the aircraft
ready for float season. As the aircraft came off the ice, skis were removed and a
set of main wheels were installed on the axels so the aircraft could be easily moved
around the base. Aircraft that had spent the winter operating on skis were
inspected and repaired. Any of the engines or propellers that were close to being
time expired or were running on extensions were changed at this time.
The aircraft that had bare metal surfaces were polished with Met-All.
All of the floats were repainted before installation.

Aircraft were pulled under the A frame and the ski legs were removed and floats
installed. Once on floats the aircraft were towed about fifty feet on skids to the
ramp and then pushed into the water. Usually a couple of the Cessna 180's were
the first into the water followed by the Beaver's and the Beech 18's and then the
rest of the 180's.

Attached is a photo taken in early May 1973 at the water base in Sioux Lookout.
CF-ZQR is being prepared for float season. The aircraft had spent the winter
parked behind the office because it was not operated on skis.

Behind ZQR is WYR that had spent the winter operating on skis. The skis have
been removed and a set of main wheels installed so the aircraft can be moved
around. If you look closely, right behind the propellers are the dish pan shaped
covers that were installed on the engines in the winter to help with engine temps.
Those were for ski operations only and will be removed. WYR will be towed under
the A frame and lifted by block and tackle and have the floats installed.

The Beech 18's were rolled into the water on the beaching gear that is installed on
ZQR in the photo.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

July 07, 2013

Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise operation from late 1960's to 1974.

Sioux Lookout carried out a lot of the company float repairs. Aircraft that
were based in Pickle Lake, Round Lake, and Big Trout Lake came into Sioux
for most float repairs. The odd aircraft from Armstrong also flew into Sioux,
but that did not happed very often. With so many aircraft operating on floats
during the summer months, the repair ramp was kept busy.

There was no hangar in Sioux Lookout. All the repairs were done on the shore
of the lake on a wooden ramp that we pulled the aircraft up on. The maintenance
shop was approx. 50 feet in front of the ramp so repairs were no problem at all.
The shop was equipped to handle any repair that came up.

Usually if one of the aircraft was in from Pickle, Round, or Big Trout Lake, a 50 or
a 100 hour inspection would be carried out at the same time.

Attached is a photo taken in late August or early September 1970 in Sioux Lookout.
Beaver CF-MXR flew in from Pickle Lake for a float repair. The belly panel below
the forward door has been removed. I suspect the oil cooler is being replaced or
repaired. The belly area behind the cooler looks a bit dirty from an oil leak.

There are some other aircraft in the photo as well.
The bright red Cessna 185 is CF-YNS and was operated by a mining company.
The aircraft at the next dock over all belong to the original Slate Falls Airways.
The aircraft are Beech 18 CF-CSN. Cessna 180 CF-JDB. Norseman CF-HQD.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

August 07, 2013

Attached is a photo of Otter CF-GBX taken in the bay at Sioux Lookout in the
summer of 1970.

The aircraft had flown in from Pickle Lake earlier in the day and was reloaded for
a flight north with lumber and supplies for one of the northern settlements.
The floats are sitting low in the water so the load is in and the aircraft would
depart shortly.

The Otter is tied up in front of the building that served two purposes at the base.
The left side of the building was the warehouse for freight and the right side of
the building was the maintenance shop. The A-Frame used for changeover from
floats to skis is on the right side of the photo.

I had mentioned in a previous post that GBX was an Otter that Mr. Wieben rebuilt
in the hangar in Thunder Bay (Ft. William at the time). I don't know the history
of GBX before it was acquired by Mr. Wieben other than it had been written off before
he had purchase it. It was the 4th Otter that DeHavilland built.

I'm not sure where spring and fall changeover from floats to skis took place. It was
done either in Armstrong or Thunder Bay. GBX was operated on floats every summer
and straight skis each winter. It spent a lot of time flying out of Pickle Lake.

During my time with Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise the only abnormal event
that I can recall that occurred with GBX was in the winter of 1970 or maybe 1971.
The aircraft was in I believe Ft. Hope on a rather cold -35 to -40 degree morning.
The engine was not heated long enough with the blow pots before the engine start
was attempted. The engine did start but the oil press did not rise and a bearing was
turned in the engine. An engine change was carried out on the ice.

CF-GBX was a full time freighter there is no doubt about that. The loads were heavy
and the days were long.

GBX was also featured on a Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise postcard in the
late 1960's.

GBX flew for Superior Airways until 1979 when it was sold to Central Air Transport
of Sioux Lookout. It was involved in an accident in May 1980 at Carling Lake and
was destroyed in a fire.

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

Beech 18
I can add a few more details about GBX. In the late 60's probably 69 GBX which was being flown by Mr Wieben's son-in-law Pete Taylor, trying to land on the lake at Armstrong was stalled about 15 feet above the ice and crashed down driving the left gear leg through the fuselage and almost through the pilots seat. It was jury rigged on site and flown back to Fort William for repairs.
The change over from skis to floats was done at Fort William and the aircraft was flown off dollies from the runway there. That required someone standing in a 45 gallon barrel attached to the front of a van who had to grab the tail stinger and steer the otter until it had rudder control. I was in the barrel when Pete Tailor was taking off in GBX and he lifted the right pontoon out of the dolly and then lifted the left one and flew. I had a front row seat watching the right dally careen into the left one and then cartwheel off the runway taking out a couple of runway lights. Needless to say, Orville was not happy when he was presented a bill for the repairs.
When the engine siezed at Fort Hope I was accross the lake (probably about 2 miles away) preparing to start Beaver FHO and was wathing and heard the clunk it made when it broke. The pilot of GBX at that time was Merv Langille. I was based at a mining exploration camp on the lake when it happened.
I remember one in 1968 flying with Pete Taylor in GBX to a lake about 40 miles north of Port Arthur wher we loaded the engine from a 180 that had ground looped on skis there into the Otter and then tied the fuselage onto the right pontoon and flew it out of there back to the river in Fort William. The take off run was probably 4 miles long before we were off the water.
Intersting tiimes they were indeed.
Keep up the good work on you history of Superior Airway/Severn Enterprises.
Bob

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

September 07, 2013

Attached is a photo of CF-GQU that was taken at the water base in Sioux Lookout
in the summer of 1970.

CF-GQU normally operated out of Sioux Lookout, but in the summer of 1970 the
Beaver was on a contract that lasted a number of months with a mining company
flying out of I believe Severn Lake. Not 100% sure about Severn Lake, but I
believe that was the spot.

In the photo GQU has a yellow and black upper engine cowling. I don't know the
whole story about the cowling other than the Beaver had flown into Pickle Lake
to have engine work and an inspection carried out. The cowlings had been
removed and were on the dock near the aircraft. A truck was backed down the
dock with a load for another aircraft and hit the upper cowling damaging it beyond
repair.

I suspect Mr. Wieben got an upper cowling from the Lands and Forests because it
was very close to the Forestry colour scheme.

GQU flew the rest of the summer with the yellow and black upper cowling.
In the fall when the Beaver was being changed over from floats to skis in Sioux Lookout,
both the upper and lower cowlings were stripped to bare metal. They remained
that way until the aircraft was completely repainted in the summer of 1971.

Last edited by beech 18 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Tofino Air now has FMXR! Interesting to see some of the history. I know most of it from when it arrived on the coast. But thats about it.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Oct 07, 2013

Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise operation from the late 1960"s to 1974.

Attached is a photo that was taken at the water base in Sioux Lookout early in the
morning before the fog had burnt off. The reason for this photo is the two different
paint schemes on the Cessna 180 aircraft. This photo was taken in the early summer
of 1974.

The aircraft on the right side of the photo tied to what we called the sea wall is
Cessna 180 CF-KQP. In the summer of 1974 KQP was based out of Pickle Lake and
had flown into Sioux Lookout two days earlier for a float repair and a 100 hour inspection.
In the photo KQP is painted in the normal Superior Airways / Severn Enterprise red,
white, and black paint scheme. In the summer of 1974 KQP had set of Edo 2880 flat
top floats installed.

The Cessna 180 tied to the inside of the dock is CF-JDH. (I had incorrectly identified it
earlier as CF-KVU). JDH had arrived in Sioux Lookout the night before with a medical
emergency. I am not sure where this aircraft was based in the summer of 1974.
CF-JDH is painted in the red and white paint scheme but with a gold stripe on the fuselage.
This is the only Cessna 180 in Mr. Wieben's fleet that I ever saw painted with the gold stripe.
Normally the stripe was black. JDH had a set of Edo 2870 round top floats installed.

The Beaver tied on the outside of the dock is CF-MXR. This Beaver was base in Sioux
year round.

The Beech 18 at the dock tied up right in front of JDH is CF-YQB. During my time with the
company YQB was always based in Sioux Lookout.

In front of YQB is Beech 18 CF-ZQR. This Beech was always based in Sioux during my time
with the company.

In the distance over the top of the wing of YQB is a white Cessna 185. That aircraft was
operated by Hooker Air Service and flew for them year round. In the winter it was one of
the very few aircraft that was operated on wheel skis instead of straight skis. The aircraft
was based in Pickle lake most of the year. The registration I believe was CF-SZV.

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

beech18
Thanks for being so diligent in recording the history of Superior Airways and Severn Enterprises. It brings back a lot of memories of my time at Superior. Keep up the good work Kurt.
Bob

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Nov 07, 2013

In Sioux Lookout float season started to end during the first week of November.
Moose hunting season at the outpost camps was over. All the fly-in camps were
closed for another seaon.
The northern settlements were supplied for freeze up. Most of the settlements
would not see any aircraft until after ski operations started in early December.

One by one aircraft started coming out of the water and were prepared for ski season.
Floats were removed as soon as the aircraft was pulled up the ramp. Inspections and
repairs were carried out for the upcoming ski season. Engine tents and blow pots
were placed in each aircraft.

Skis were installed and the aircraft were parked on the shore of the lake waiting for
the ice to thicken enough to start the winter operation. The Cessna 180 fleet was the
first to go on the ice.

Attached is a photo taken in early November 1973 at the water base in Sioux Lookout.
The lake in the bay is beginning to freeze. Ice has formed around Cessna 180 CF-VSD.
The Cessna 180 on the outside of the dock is CF-RNF which will be departing for
Thunder Bay shortly to have skis installed for the winter. Beech 18 YQB will come out
of the water shortly as well. Float season is almost over.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Dec 07, 2013

Attached is a photo of CF-WYR taken around the middle of December 1970 in
Sioux Lookout at the water base.

WYR has been parked since coming off floats in November and is covered with
snow and ice. A large tarp has put over the aircraft and a Herman Nelson Heater
duct has been pumping hot air under it to melt and dry the aircraft surfaces.

The main wheels that were used to move the aircraft around the base are
being removed and the skis are going on. The left main ski has already been installed.
The right ski is in the snow under the right wing and will go on next.
(the large leaf spring on the ski is visible above the snow).

The dish pans are mounted on the engines behind the propellers and it looks like some
work is still being carried out on the right engine. The lower cowling is off.

The Beech 18 fleet was the last to go on the ice. Usually they were on the ice by
about the 20th of December or so.

The day after this photo was taken WYR departed Sioux Lookout for Pickle Lake.

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

Kurt,
Your wealth of information and the size of your photo collection continue to amaze me. I wish now (almost 40 years later) that I had carried a camera with me and recorded some of the aircraft, people and places I saw when I flew for Superior.
Keep up the good work. You are the historian for the story of Superior Airways/Sever Enterprises two companies that helped open up North Western Ontario.
I salute you for your efforts.
Bobo

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”