MAX!

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Re: MAX!

Post by tbaylx »

Skyblazer wrote:.73 .74 in cruise is an exaggeration.

Typical speeds .75 ranging to .78 and descent speeds from 256 to 280

Its called a Cost Index

It saves gas and it results in profit.

Thats the DEAL
256 in decent from cruise altitude? ATC must love that in the busier airports south of the border.
---------- ADS -----------
 
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: MAX!

Post by rudder »

tbaylx wrote:
Skyblazer wrote:.73 .74 in cruise is an exaggeration.

Typical speeds .75 ranging to .78 and descent speeds from 256 to 280

Its called a Cost Index

It saves gas and it results in profit.

Thats the DEAL
256 in decent from cruise altitude? ATC must love that in the busier airports south of the border.
You only get away with it if ATC lets you get away with it. Not possible in high density traffic areas or on STARS with specific speed requirements.
---------- ADS -----------
 
7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: MAX!

Post by 7thirtyseven »

tbaylx wrote:
Skyblazer wrote:.73 .74 in cruise is an exaggeration.

Typical speeds .75 ranging to .78 and descent speeds from 256 to 280

Its called a Cost Index

It saves gas and it results in profit.

Thats the DEAL
256 in decent from cruise altitude? ATC must love that in the busier airports south of the border.
Westjet is just leading the way. Airlines that dont adapt to high fuel prices wont survive. Bankrupt airlines dont pay nav/landing fees. Atc wont get paid. They deal with it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: on my way

Re: MAX!

Post by Go Guns »

You only get away with it if ATC lets you get away with it. Not possible in high density traffic areas or on STARS with specific speed requirements.
I would say, ATC and STARs restrictions included, 9 flight out of 10 I'm descending at 256.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Home

Re: MAX!

Post by anonymity »

You only get away with it if ATC lets you get away with it. Not possible in high density traffic areas or on STARS with specific speed requirements.
Rudder, I'm sure you're not guilty of this but on more than one occasion ATC assigns WJ a speed and it is clear they ignored the ATC instruction.
The most recent I experienced was so blatant that I hope something is done about it. We were behind a WJ on the same track to the same fix. ATC assigned WJ 280 or better and us 280 or less, we were flying at 270 and somehow still managed to close a 20 mile gap to only 10 miles, so ATC clearly not having any faith WJ would fly an assigned speed anymore, assigned us 240, which we flew and voila the gap remained at about 10 miles.
Curious what you think about this and if WJ wishes to continue the "falling leaf" descent profile, why don't you guys tell ATC your preference would be to have others vectored around you, or should all others follow your profile?
I would say, ATC and STARs restrictions included, 9 flight out of 10 I'm descending at 256.
Go Guns, is that because of what I mentioned above?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: on my way

Re: MAX!

Post by Go Guns »

anonymity wrote: ATC assigns WJ a speed and it is clear they ignored the ATC instruction.
I'm not calling bullshit, all I can tell you is what I know. I have never flown with a WestJet pilot who ignores an ATC instruction, speed or otherwise. We're all aware we're the only ones descending at 260 and we're all pretty aware of the air traffic situation in regards to who's following us and who we're following. If ATC wants us doing 280, we're doing 280. Not even begrudgingly, most guys are more than happy to go faster.

If it truly was the case in your story, the pilot is an outlier.

edited to add that I think Rudder is a Jazz driver.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Go Guns on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:05 pm

Re: MAX!

Post by Legacy »

anonymity wrote:
You only get away with it if ATC lets you get away with it. Not possible in high density traffic areas or on STARS with specific speed requirements.
Rudder, I'm sure you're not guilty of this but on more than one occasion ATC assigns WJ a speed and it is clear they ignored the ATC instruction.
The most recent I experienced was so blatant that I hope something is done about it. We were behind a WJ on the same track to the same fix. ATC assigned WJ 280 or better and us 280 or less, we were flying at 270 and somehow still managed to close a 20 mile gap to only 10 miles, so ATC clearly not having any faith WJ would fly an assigned speed anymore, assigned us 240, which we flew and voila the gap remained at about 10 miles.
Curious what you think about this and if WJ wishes to continue the "falling leaf" descent profile, why don't you guys tell ATC your preference would be to have others vectored around you, or should all others follow your profile?
I would say, ATC and STARs restrictions included, 9 flight out of 10 I'm descending at 256.
Go Guns, is that because of what I mentioned above?
I call complete BS. i have never flown with anyone that wasnt willing to go faster if instructed. Besides if they were doing the typical 260 and you slowed to 240, obviously the gap would be getting larger and not remaining at 10 miles. Not sure what Capt would want an infraction on their license because of not following an ATC instruction. Yes that speed thing CAN be proven by ATC too.
---------- ADS -----------
 
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: MAX!

Post by rudder »

Go Guns wrote:
ATC assigns WJ a speed and it is clear they ignored the ATC instruction.
I'm not calling bullshit, all I can tell you is what I know. I have never flown with a WestJet pilot who ignores an ATC instruction, speed or otherwise. We're all aware we're the only ones descending at 260 and we're all pretty aware of the air traffic situation in regards to who's following us and who we're following. If ATC wants us doing 280, we're doing 280. Not even begrudgingly, most guys are more than happy to go faster.

If it truly was the case in your story, the pilot is an outlier.

edited to add that I think Rudder is a Jazz driver.
That quote that you highlighted above was not from any post that I made. Perhaps when you highlight a quote you should ensure that it includes the posters handle.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: on my way

Re: MAX!

Post by Go Guns »

rudder wrote:That quote that you highlighted above was not from any post that I made. Perhaps when you highlight a quote you should ensure that it includes the posters handle.
Sorry, the whole post was a reply to Anonymity wrote. It was looking like he thought you were a WJ pilot. Post is fixed.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “WestJet”