Airmanship Education

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Airmanship Police
Rank 2
Rank 2

Airmanship Education

Post by Airmanship Police »

Good day all!

It happened to all of us. You are hanging out at the airport waiting for your passengers or on the ramp running some checks and then some guy shows up with an airplane and does something so stupid that you go: "WTF is this clown doing????"

Now, you just want to jump out of your airplane and go tear this guy a new one but you don't because we all know you are an ambassador of Airmanship.

Unfortunately, some schools don't teach Airmanship as part of the training so here is what I propose.

If you see someone who's action reflects poor Airmanship, PM me the details and I will re-post them here and make sure all remain anonymous. It can be something your Capt. or FO. did or anything where you think a little re-education is in order.

To make sure this doesn't become a finger pointing/ name calling thread, Let's all follow Avcanada's rules please.

Let the re-education begin!!!!

Airmanship Police
---------- ADS -----------

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Airmanship Education

Post by frozen solid »

I can't wait for this ball to start rolling.

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

What is airmanship? How do you measure it? Is there a written standard somewhere to help you decide whether someone's airmanship is good or bad?

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Airmanship is gentlemanship wisdom in action doing better each and every day to make the system work more smothly than ever before. There is an inate desire to do the right thing to better the aviation experience for everyone - BE a part of that experience !!!! It is a beautiful thing to be a part of the solution to friendly and safe skies You are a boat anchor if you are on the other side of the coin :wink:

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Dave's not here man.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Author: Anthony Kern
Title: redefining airmanship.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

shimmydampner wrote:Dave's not here man.
Exactly.

I was just thinking last night that it's been a long time since we've had a really stupid thread from some know it all.

But anyways, I'll bite. Airmanship starts with clean underwear. You never know when you'll be in an accident. According to the Mammy.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

There is an entire subset of the pilot population that see absolutely nothing wrong with doing stupid, inconsiderate, equipment damaging, irresponsible things with aircraft. Their acts of idiocy are validated by those who speak disparagingly about anyone who attempts to uphold standards of "operational decency," sometimes nebulously called "Airmanship."

So, I'll start off with people who see absolutely nothing undesirable about taxiing in front of an open hangar door and doing a run-up with propwash blasting into the workplace of the AMEs, and if that isn't enough, sanctimoniously thinking they are entitled to do so and it is the fault of the hangar owner because they should have run to close the door as soon as they saw the aircraft begin taxiing, knowing that airplanes do run-ups / battery recharging / instrument checks and before takeoff checklists before heading toward the runway.

Oh .... and there was about 100 acres of open concrete available for all this.

Then when taken to task, his colleagues thought there was just nothing at all "wrong" with that, and I was a big bad meanie to make him go and apologize to the AMEs that had their stuff blown all over the hangar." After all,there was nothing written in the Operations Manual which prohibited directing propwash into an open hangar.

It seems the concept of accepting responsibility for doing something dumb and expensive, learning from the moment of stunned jerk behaviour, and then moving on to never repeat the action (and ones similar) is far too great an expectation.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

cncpc wrote:
Exactly.

I was just thinking last night that it's been a long time since we've had a really stupid thread from some know it all.

But anyways, I'll bite. Airmanship starts with clean underwear. You never know when you'll be in an accident. According to the Mammy.

Waste of time! If I'm ever in an accident I'll probably SH&^ myself anyway!

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

Airmanship is related to common sense. Something you can't teach. Unfortunately in this day and age common sense is disappearing at an alarming rate. Problem is, smart phones don't make common sense decisions for us yet.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

CFR wrote:
cncp wrote:Airmanship starts with clean underwear. You never know when you'll be in an accident. According to the Mammy.

Surely he jests

His mom's good intention was suddenly foiled,
when due to the accident his underwear was soiled.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

"Back in the day," aviation-based "common sense" often was delivered to a line pilot by the Ops Mgr or Chief Pilot running out to the airplane and engaging in a lengthy session of red-faced screaming at the person who was in the process of brainlessly screwing up and damaging the equipment ....... or turning once friendly, co-operative business neighbours into enemies who demand action be taken.

Now if you raise your voice to somebody, or look at them sternly, its considered by the recipient to be harassment. As a result of the experience, they need to access counselling services, or to have a hot lunch and a hug delivered by their over-protective mom accompanied by a "Now, now, there, there.... it'll be alright. Mommy will make the bad man stop."

There appears to be a generational aspect to this. But then the WW2 vets that taught me aviation "common sense," likely thought the world of aviation was going to hell in a hand basket with the Baby Boomer kids coming along that they were forced to mentor and manage.

Last edited by single_swine_herder on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I am so sick of hearing complete idiots screwing around on guard frequency....it seems to be getting worse and worse every year. If that is not a complete disregard for airmanship and professionalism, I don't know what is!

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

But Johnny ...... "Where is it written down that pilots shouldn't have a little fun, or engage in a quick chat with buddies on 121.5? How would I know this? Where is it taught? Can you point to it in the training program of flying schools or the company training material or a section of the Ops Manual?"

That's the kind of response you'd get from an increasing size segment of the pilot population when confronted with evidence it was them on frequency rattling off a quick one liner joke, or letting loose with a simulated fart sound effect.

Expecting that some degree of "professionalism" is associated with a pilot licence would appear to be a big leap of faith.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

simulated fart sound effect.
Simulated? Amateurs!

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

CFR wrote:
cncpc wrote:
Exactly.

Let's see what Billy has to say on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObSYqJ7Ggs

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

deleted duplicate

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

single_swine_herder wrote: So, I'll start off with people who see absolutely nothing undesirable about taxiing in front of an open hangar door and doing a run-up with propwash blasting into the workplace of the AMEs
An AME here has put a sign up saying "no runups" on the taxiway to his hangar. Unfortunately even that doesn't stop people - perhaps the sign is too small. I think you need a big massive sign with flashing lights or something.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

Well I Have seen some AMEs do runups from inside the hangar.
Now Some noisy machines pilots should be educated on aimanship, I get so irritated when they start up their turboprops while
I am trying to show a student how to perform a walk around,cant even hear myself think. I once showed great aimanship telling the AC
lining up for take off in front of me that his wing were covered in frost, on the tower freq of course.

God dammit, what does airmanship means?

Taco Joe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Taco Joe »

rob-air wrote:Now Some noisy machines pilots should be educated on aimanship, I get so irritated when they start up their turboprops while I am trying to show a student how to perform a walk around,cant even hear myself think.
I hope you're just trolling with that statement.

Return to “General Comments”