Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by Flybabe »

You aren't doing sim evals anymore?
---------- ADS -----------

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

The last round of hiring, which was a large group, didn't have sim evals. This time the interviews were in YEG I think so to fly everyone to YVR afterwards was probably the reason not to do them, at least this round.

It must cost a lot of extra money and logistics to administer the sim evals. Everyone's flown to YVR, on 5T's dime and in some cases even put up at a hotel if flights don't work to get you home, again paid for by 5T. Usually they weed a couple people out of the interviews to put into the sim but when I was hired they did about 12 sim evals over three days.

I also don't see the cost benefit in doing them really. As humbling an experience it is flying the old 37 for the 30 minutes you're in there, I don't believe it's a true indicator of a pilots flying ability. An argument can be made for the IFR procedures as stated above, which I would agree with, but I come back to the cost benefit predicament.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I can understand the cost factor, absolutely. I do see some merit in a sim eval, though... particularly at that level. Just my own thoughts.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Flybabe wrote:I can understand the cost factor, absolutely. I do see some merit in a sim eval, though... particularly at that level. Just my own thoughts.
Yeah me too, to be honest if you can't make a reasonable showing in the sim then you are going to struggle in training. Maybe if we end up with our own sim in YEG then they may start up again.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I think another factor is that good people with good experience who interviewed well were passed over because of a brain fart in the sim eval.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

FICU wrote:I think another factor is that good people with good experience who interviewed well were passed over because of a brain fart in the sim eval.
Be that as it may, but a brain fart in a real emergency often doesn't result in a second chances. Same thing with PPC rides, a brain fart will cost ya. I can't feel sorry for someone who drops the ball on basic IFR and flying skills in a sim.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Do CDN North aircraft flying up north use GPS exclusively, or do they still carry Astro Compasses, and fly around using Grid navigation ?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

dhc# wrote:Do CDN North aircraft flying up north use GPS exclusively, or do they still carry Astro Compasses, and fly around using Grid navigation ?
All of the above.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

I see 5T got another 737-300 registered on the TC civil registry site recently, anyone got an update regarding hiring going into the fall ? And are they still busy with the rigpig work or have things settled down ?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Bump

Anyone from CDN North kindly post an update on hiring this winter :?:

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

I reframed from replying on your first post because I really have no clue.

Since that post though, according to Pilot Career Centre they posted an update on hiring as of Sept. 21. So I would say we must be.

Sorry, other than speculating that's all the info I got.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I have nothing either but with another 300 coming online in a few weeks and another 300 being converted to a combi right now and both coming as fleet additions I imagine there will be more hiring in the near future.

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

-300 should be coming in at the end of November for sure. The combi should be coming online early next year. Combi 37 may be delayed due to inexperience with modding the 300 model with a big door. May take a bit of time.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Thanks for the update...

Is the modding of the -300's being done in Kelowna ?

And are all the -300's getting the cargo door installed ?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

I think that Canadian North has the best looking 737 paint scheme in the business.

Nice to hear that they may do more hiring, I guess the oil patch work must be sustainable for the long term.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Anybody heard anything back? They've been 'hiring' for a while now...

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

Bids were awarded today coincidently. 4 new Boeing Captains/FO's and some equipment changes.

They should have a better idea on hiring requirements now.
Nice to hear that they may do more hiring, I guess the oil patch work must be sustainable for the long term.
It's been crazy, but it has to slow down.... It has to... Right?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

I take it then, you dudes have been raking in the cash ? :D

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

The new -300 model is online now operating. Have not seen it rotate back to Edmonton for A or B check yet. No, not all -300 will have the big door mod. -300 with winglets = full passenger. -300 with no winglets = Combi / soon to be combi.

All I can say is be patient. There was a hiring freeze going on, I just don't know if it is still in effect.
I did hear that HR department is busy interviewing, but I don't know if it is for pilots or flight attendants.

Good luck.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Hi,

Thanks for the update regarding the hiring situation.

Do you know the reason why only "non" winglet -300's are getting "combi ized" ?

Return to “Employment Forum”