Crew screening

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

navajo_jay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Crew screening

Post by navajo_jay »

So to be fair we ,the pilots, should search the CATSA people. Why can they search their own people. It does'nt make it safer letting them searching their own staff knowing that they are all buddies.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

People, you are forgetting that CATSA's raisons d'etre do not include fairness, or aviation security for that matter. CATSA's goals are growing as large as possible and ensuring the appearance of aviation security. As long as the traveling public feels safe, it's job well done at head office.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

teacher wrote:The biggest burn is customs agents though. Really? A high school diploma and 5 months of training and you can be a customs agent and have more trust placed in you than the pilot of the aircraft, pathetic because hey, there's never been a corrupt border guard.
This.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Don't forget that if upset a CATSA person enough, they can and will take away your RAIC, effectively suspending/ending your career.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Is that true, or urban legend, though? If you were to lose (or have suspended) your RAIC through some sort of disagreement with CATSA, there must be some sort of judicial review prior to you losing your job/career...

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

North Shore wrote:^ Is that true, or urban legend, though? If you were to lose (or have suspended) your RAIC through some sort of disagreement with CATSA, there must be some sort of judicial review prior to you losing your job/career...
You would think so, but they work in some sort of parallel universe, similar to DHS in the states.

Just ask the Jazz pilot that "pulled his pants down too far", how long it took him to get his pass back...

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Buzz Lightyear wrote:The all crew I was with once refused to press the button because a CATSA employee just went through without pressing it, just in front of us. It's a random check for EVERYONE.

They had 3 choices:

- Call back the CATSA employee that was just through
- Call the manager and explain the situation
- Let us go....

They picked the last option!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hates having his lunch bag and dirty laundry put upside down...

I've no problem with the X-rays though, even if the rules are not the same everywhere you go (some places don't even ask for your computer, some others do every time...).
Good to know, next time I see a CATSA reject passing by without a second thought, I'm not pressing the button.

Rumors
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rumors »

Anyone who gives grief to a CATSA worker for doing their job is just plain ignorant.

They don't make the rules they just follow them.

Making minimum wage is bad enough but dealing with rude flight crews who take their anger of the system out on them is ridiculous.

Please show them the same respect they show you.

Before someone tells a story about the rude CATSA worker that treated them like crap one day think about the majority who do a good job.

It's just like flight crew most are ok except for the certain percentage who need an attitude adjustment.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Rumors wrote: They don't make the rules they just follow them.

Please show them the same respect they show you.

It's just like flight crew most are ok except for the certain percentage who need an attitude adjustment.
1.If they followed them, the earlier post would be a non issue
2.Show them the same respect they show you ;well in the past if someone showed me that respect we would talk in the parking lot
3. Absolutely opinions are like sphincter muscles, all it takes is the necessary stimulation to get a sh!tty reaction

Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sleeve of Wizard »

I just talked to YYZ catsa 15 minutes ago and it seems that the US bypass will resemble the domestic bypass - step on the mat for a green or red arrow. We'll see if that's actually the case when it comes into effect. I don't know about other airports throughout Canada though.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Donald wrote:
North Shore wrote:^ Is that true, or urban legend, though? If you were to lose (or have suspended) your RAIC through some sort of disagreement with CATSA, there must be some sort of judicial review prior to you losing your job/career...
Just ask the Jazz pilot that "pulled his pants down too far", how long it took him to get his pass back...
He didn't lose his RAIC over it.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

flyer 1492 wrote:
Donald wrote:
He didn't lose his RAIC over it.
I never said he lost it forever, what was it, 7 months?

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

No one pulled his RAIC. If he had it suspended for that long as you have stated, he would have been out of a job.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

flyer 1492 wrote:No one pulled his RAIC. If he had it suspended for that long as you have stated, he would have been out of a job.
You positive about that? I have heard from a very reliable source that it was a difficult 7 or so month battle to get his RAIC back.

Whole point being, even if you're right, it may not be in your best interest to fight them. Ask for a supervisor, or just report it to your union/association guys and let them deal with it.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Always insist that they change their gloves BEFORE touching your belongings. Each and every time. YOW is the worst.

xkbal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xkbal »

Rumors wrote:Before someone tells a story about the rude CATSA worker that treated them like crap one day think about the majority who do a good job.
I don't give them a hard time as it's not in my interest to do so. However I can't say that I've personally ever seen one of them doing a "good job". My entertainment while passing through security is to see how many are actually looking at the people they are checking as opposed to talking to their buddy about what they did on the weekend or plans for the night. Can't remember the last time security actually looked at me while asking a question. They are completely relying on the technology to find banned items.

This whole process has nothing to do with security but just to make the travelling public feel better. Security theatre is an accurate description.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

xkbal wrote:
Rumors wrote:Before someone tells a story about the rude CATSA worker that treated them like crap one day think about the majority who do a good job.
I don't give them a hard time as it's not in my interest to do so. However I can't say that I've personally ever seen one of them doing a "good job". My entertainment while passing through security is to see how many are actually looking at the people they are checking as opposed to talking to their buddy about what they did on the weekend or plans for the night. Can't remember the last time security actually looked at me while asking a question. They are completely relying on the technology to find banned items.

This whole process has nothing to do with security but just to make the travelling public feel better. Security theatre is an accurate description.
I'd like to know what they are saying but they are usually talking in a foreign language! :lol:

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Haha that's true. Not that I can pick up on what's being said, but has anyone noticed it always seems like they're on a personal call, while waiting for someone to walk through the bypass?
Slackers.

Crash_PadYYC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crash_PadYYC »

About 9 or ten years ago, we had to go through a crew line at regular security in t2 @ YYZ.

A CATSA worker was in front of our crew (I, a female FA, was the first of our crew in line).

We witnessed the CATSA employee walk in the door, walk around the belongings table, toss her backpack under the counter, and start work.

She did not go through the metal detector nor did her bag go through X-ray. She didn't even sign in…

I *politely* asked her, as she checked my RAIC and pushed my belonging through the XRAY, why she wasn't subject to the same screening process as crew. "I don't work on the airplane." she loudly, and very rudely stated. My Captain, who was directly behind me, asked for her manager. A whole debacle ensued.

What was in her backpack? Could she not go on her break at TimmyHo's and give her backpack full of something bad to a ground crew member who could then load it into a pit or put it on a plane?

I'll never forget this. I wrote my MP at the time but no response.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

If you're talking about Police and/or Customs at any airport that has them (worldwide even) these agents are part of airport security and law enforcement based on oath of office, job description and their roles and responsibilities. Not based on passenger screening activities alone.

There are, have and always will be corrupt law enforcement officers no matter what agency you're talking about. No surprise there.

At the airport, it's all about perception. Passengers like to see their pilots searched which gives them a perceived notion they're safer. It pads their false sense of security because they don't seem to understand pilots are strapping 'a weapon' to their arse. You hide it in plain sight.

Like the now famous gun registry. If you make it the law you end up with nothing more than a gigantic listing of gun toting law abiding citizens which the criminals (along with their illegal weapons) happen not to appear on. Massive scanning of cooperative, law abiding passengers? About the same thing.
A political approach but not much more.

I don't recall the pilots of 9-11 being the ones who committed any acts of terror.

Gino Under :partyman:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”