WPPA.ca

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

IFR Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WPPA.ca

Post by IFR Pilot »

WJ is actually a wonderful place to work. All of the things you mentioned from pay, to working conditions, aircraft, people, relationship with management etc, WJ has.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by IFR Pilot on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

Old fella wrote:Old Fella, you are entitled to your opinion regarding the service without repercussion. By the way, WJ is getting less animated in the back. Is that a good thing?? Depends who you ask but It really did make us as a company and many people love it. Different strokes I guess. I do respect your opinion though.

Reading through george sugars posts, I dont believe he works for WJ. Could be wrong, and if so I am disappointed with his personal attack!

Captain @ WJ

First of all, I didn't mention anything about WJ service, just the stand-up comedy routine(check-in and in-flight) or "back end animation" as you call it. However, as you correctly pointed out it set WJ apart and your guests latched on to it, fair enough. I didn't and I know of others who are not fussy as well, fair enough also. Full disclosure, I haven't been on your airline in over a year and a half, maybe two. It's not that I won't but to give you an example I flew to Toronto must be a dozen times over past two and a bit years on family visits. I hate LBPIA and dealing with the traffic on the Gardner(cause I go to the east part of the fine city) and crowds at LBPIA so I head into YTZ, you chaps don't go there(yet). One time I had to go to YYZ from YHZ and WJ had the best price amongst them all, so off I went. It was a good trip with A+ service even with the chattering FAs and yer B737 all versions are quite comfy and it does beat a Q400 with props smashing in your ears in the low-mid 20's

So there :smt008

PS I really like visiting Toronto, love the city has a lot to offer. I take in Jays games and do hope ole RC can light a fire under the Leaf's asses this season

You take care and certainly appreciate your polite commentary.

Best
OF[/quote]

I hope it didn't come off as a slight old fella, I just wanted to say you should be able to say what you you feel about WJ, good or bad :drinkers:

Always enjoy your posts!

Jj

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

Just curious how a union is going to fix anything?

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

Red1 wrote:Just curious how a union is going to fix anything?
McGiver?

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

WestJet pilots,

this is not the place to discuss this.

JJJ

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I would think those considering joining Encore would like to read the debate on mainline unionization. It would affect all new hires and their career decision to work through to mainline. Transparency is vital.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I strongly suggest that some posters here should review the Code of Business Conduct that they signed when accepting employment. Also when you accepted employment, you knew that you would helping to groom the back end on turns.

Please reflect on all of the crappy jobs that you did before ending up at WJ. Is WJ really all that bad??

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

no more flow through if westjet unionizes?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

culver10 wrote:I strongly suggest that some posters here should review the Code of Business Conduct that they signed when accepting employment. Also when you accepted employment, you knew that you would helping to groom the back end on turns.

Please reflect on all of the crappy jobs that you did before ending up at WJ. Is WJ really all that bad??
Well....... anybody outside of the airline industry would probably say WJ isn't the only game in town and if their Code of Business culture could bother prospective employees well let said prospective employees concentrate their hiring efforts on an airline whose culture doesn't require it's up front flight crew to clean up the airplane after customer use. That's the simple answer I would think being an old senior citizen. If you may not like what WJ has to offer, don't apply. Ditto if you currently work there and you are bothered by it all, next opportunity move on................ :? :?

elvis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elvis »

It is obvious that the rank and file are not happy with the new direction management is trying to steer them towards. The strength of WestJet is their people and the company is jepordizing that valuable asset.

They said they would not meddle in the process and now they suspend road shows with low turnouts and delay the vote on the WJPA company leaning proposal.

Don,t break the great model.

Like the a/c Canadian merger the cockpit becomes dangerous with caustic discontent with what is being proposed.

albatross
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by albatross »

Management (WJPA) had broken the pilots trust time and time again. No different this time around. Hopefully this time it bites them in the ass. We need proper representation, not ladder climbers. It's really that simple.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

albatross wrote:Management (WJPA) had broken the pilots trust time and time again. No different this time around. Hopefully this time it bites them in the ass. We need proper representation, not ladder climbers. It's really that simple.
What did they actually do?

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

CAL wrote:
albatross wrote:Management (WJPA) had broken the pilots trust time and time again. No different this time around. Hopefully this time it bites them in the ass. We need proper representation, not ladder climbers. It's really that simple.
Well... There was this asskissing contest... Like a "teambuilding" excersise.... One managent type didnt understand that the unspoken rule was "no teeth". The place is on high alert. Facebook fotos of a hairy white (rather chubby) ass have appeared clearly showing teeth marks.
All the thinking pilots are outraged. The ass pictures demonatrate the ducttape had been removed, and the hairy white ass was a sitting duck. All good times. Quite civil actually. There has been no gun play, fisticuffs or damage (other than the teethmarks)

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

7thirtyseven wrote:
CAL wrote:
Well... There was this asskissing contest... Like a "teambuilding" excersise.... One managent type didnt understand that the unspoken rule was "no teeth". The place is on high alert. Facebook fotos of a hairy white (rather chubby) ass have appeared clearly showing teeth marks.
All the thinking pilots are outraged. The ass pictures demonatrate the ducttape had been removed, and the hairy white ass was a sitting duck. All good times. Quite civil actually. There has been no gun play, fisticuffs or damage (other than the teethmarks)

And this, kids is why you don't drink and post! :rolleyes:

albatross
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by albatross »

I was going to say. Lol.

jetav8r
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetav8r »

I've been reading the various posts and wondering what percentage within the pilot group or WestJetters in general (FA, MTCE, Office) are unhappy with the current situation at Encore and Mainline. There will always be some grumblings and discontent among the ranks doesn't matter where you work, but it seems (from the posts) the majority of Westjetters do not like the direction the company is going. Am I right in that thinking? Are pilots looking to jump ship? I still think WJ is one the the best gigs in the country. 17 years is still young in a companies lifetime. I forecast huge opportunities at WJ, Overseas, larger planes etc. Growing pains always hurt but the long run may be promising.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Just curious from masthead picture on the linked site, does WestJet have any female pilots?

For that matter, any pilots who aren't cheesy grinning white guys?

Not that there's anything with that, of course. Just wondering.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

jetav8r wrote:I've been reading the various posts and wondering what percentage within the pilot group or WestJetters in general (FA, MTCE, Office) are unhappy with the current situation at Encore and Mainline. There will always be some grumblings and discontent among the ranks doesn't matter where you work, but it seems (from the posts) the majority of Westjetters do not like the direction the company is going. Am I right in that thinking? Are pilots looking to jump ship? I still think WJ is one the the best gigs in the country. 17 years is still young in a companies lifetime. I forecast huge opportunities at WJ, Overseas, larger planes etc. Growing pains always hurt but the long run may be promising.
It's still the best gig in the country and a decent place to work. Sadly there is a lot more grumbling now than there was a few years ago. The complaining is almost as much as bad as it was at Jazz now which is too bad. I actually like the direction the company is going for the most part (other than a few missteps).

We're in the middle of a negotiation, and of course the company want's to pay less which I don't like. I don't take it personally, and despite the rah-rah Kool Aid, WJ is a business and has to maximize the return to their shareholders. No one is trying to screw us, but if the company knew we'd accept a 50% pay cut, they'd would go for it. We are most productive pilot group in North America. Productivity does translate to higher wages regardless of whether you make widgets, paint houses or fly airplanes.

The way I think, I'm the CEO of Bede Flying corporation. My wife and kids are the shareholders. I'm a capitalist pig just like our executives are. Everyone in my family invested a lot into my career (poor wages, missing holidays, etc) and my job as CEO is to maximize the return on our investment. I'll do pretty much anything to secure the success of WJA but my time off and the money I can spend on my family will need to be maximized.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Productivity = Do more with less

Age old management vs. employee battle

Black Cat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Black Cat »

Bede,

If I read right in you last post, your management wants to pay you less ? This would make it a concessionary contract in times of profit. What justification is there for a pay cut? Is there a trade off for lifestyle or other benefits or.....?

My only question is what happens in an economic downturn?

Return to “WestJet”