CARGO ATTENDANT TO F.O POSITION

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

CARGO ATTENDANT TO F.O POSITION

Post by tuskegee0147 »

I recently applied as a cargo attendant at Air Canada and aced all the exams and interview.
I know this position will give me a bit of knowledge how things are run in the background but the long term goal is to be the one in the cockpit of the aircraft. i have a university degree and just want to work in aviation so i don't loose focus as filling all those planes with cargo will keep the big picture in my head of flying them soon while i earn $$ to pay bills and get a bit of experience as a F.I.
i heard after 18 months i can apply as an internal candidate for operations positions
i don't plan to apply for right seat positions till im close to 1000 hours which leads me to my question
I would like to know if Air Canada hire pilots from the ramp to the right seat as advised by the recruiter?

HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE AND NO SARCASTICALLY NEGATIVE COMMENTS
PM me also if you think its a good idea or a waste of time
---------- ADS -----------

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: CARGO ATTENDANT TO F.O POSITION

Post by Krimson »

You should do some further research. Not to be insulting, but it seems like you do not have a good grasp of the industry yet.

Take the job. If you like being around airplanes it will be fun, you'll learn the industry and make some contacts. It will be several years after your first flying job until you can be considered for a right seat job at Air Canada. A good estimate is 6 years. You will not be able to stay on the ramp for that long, you will need to leave to get a full time flying job elsewhere. Pilots getting hired typically have 3000-8000 hours to fly in the right seat.

arcadia
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by arcadia »

Sweet Merciful Jesus.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Really, you're not shortcutting anyone but yourself. Go out and have a career, you'd be amazed about what you'll learn about yourself and this industry.

I certainly have seen worse ideas, but there is no way this is going to end well.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:Really, you're not shortcutting anyone but yourself. Go out and have a career, you'd be amazed about what you'll learn about yourself and this industry.

I certainly have seen worse ideas, but there is no way this is going to end well.

WTF, where do you find this $hit? :lol:

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuskegee0147 »

Well then $79 uncomfortable sweat shirt says it all
Thanks all for your responses

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

It's probably not the best way to try and get into the cockpit. I fly for Jazz but have been around long enough to know guys at most airlines and I don't recall meeting anybody that worked their way up from a rampie. I have met a number of ramp crew, dispatchers, flight attendants, etc. that have commercial licenses and intended on working as a pilot but took the unconventional path of just getting close to airplanes as opposed to actually flying them, it usually doesn't work out.

The experience you gain sitting right seat in a king air in the middle of nowhere will actually be more relevant and valuable than knowing how to load bags in a 320. Sure, you'll learn a bit about how the operation works at Air Canada but the stuff you'll learn won't be a huge asset since most new hire pilots coming in will need to learn it anyways, and it's not all that complicated.

The other huge flaw with your plan is that you're putting all your eggs in one basket, it would suck if Air Canada started laying off because Virgin Galactic made a huge debut into Canada and you couldn't apply for an astronaut position because you've been working the ramp at AC for the past 5 years.

Having a degree already gives you a leg up, now just get some hours and you're in business.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Pilot positions at Air Canada aren't filled via internal postings. As mentioned, you don't seem to fully grasp how things work yet, not a big deal but the plan you've outlined isn't the path into a flying position at AC. Working the ramp/cargo/dispatch etc. at smaller carriers can help you find your way into a pilot position, not at WestJet, Air Canada, Jazz, Porter, etc. These such airlines hire pilots externally after they've accumulated thousands of hours of experience (typically 3000-6000 hours). If you're interested in loading bags while you complete your training, look towards smaller operators who do move pilots from the ramp to the cockpit.

Regards

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

The Naivety is simply ... breathtaking.

No sarcasm, no scorn, no hurtful remarks are in anyway intended. I really mean that. I recognize that the OP is using creative thinking to try and crack a tough nut. This is such a different industry than most. That recruiter should be .. talked to.

Best of luck.

Justjohn

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuskegee0147 »

I may be naive when it gets to the aviation industry but by the posts here it's easy to tell those who are intelligent, experienced and want to give something back to the upcoming generation. To them i say THANKS a thousand.

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

I worked on the ground with an airline for 6 years, went out to get experience hoping to be hired by them, 8 years of experience later, including jet and command time, got my big interview...6 weeks after that, got PFOd.

It may not happen the way you want, then again, I know a few that proved my theory wrong!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

The path you plan and the path you take are normally completely different. Learn to hit a curveball.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

This isn't typical of Air Canada.
Only places I have heard that might still work like that are remote bush operations. And these are for junior positions, not at a major airline flying big metal.

Floyd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floyd »

I know a couple of people who worked at AC while getting their training completed. Some even managed to hold on to their jobs at AC for a while once they moved up north to work for a small airline. Unfortunately the game has changed since then and the major benefit that they experienced (pension buy back) is no longer an option. I think if it were my decision I would be getting a job at an FBO or a small airline like others have said and try to make connections from there.

JZA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JZA »

I'm one of the few who managed to start "from the ground" and work my way up with Air Canada to hold a pilot position. It was a great part-time job as an aviation enthusiast, and as it turned out gave my employer 10 years of company work history to help make their decision as to whether or not to hire me (again). However it was a long 10 year journey which included lay-offs, multiple flying jobs, working two jobs for years once recalled ... and a whole lot of luck that 7000 Hours into my flying career I turned in my AC rampie vest for an AC pilot uniform. So no one should say it can't be done; BUT...that was a different time. My path was unique and probably not a realistic option for today's pilot starting out. So yes it can be done, but as most agree above it's extremely rare and probably not the ideal path to try and take. The odds are generally not in your favour.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The key is that you had 7000 hours not 250!

chikiebella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chikiebella »

I think that they are hiring as low as 2500 hrs by now but don't quote me this an information I got from an instructor on the Embraer at AC.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

tuskegee0147 wrote:
I would like to know if Air Canada hire pilots from the ramp to the right seat as advised by the recruiter?
What recruiter are you referring to ?

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuskegee0147 »

@ JZA thanks for redefining the word impossible into i am possible
@ bigpistonsforever i have the recruiters name and number but posting it on the forum might cost him his job
i just needed honest straight to the point answers from the guys at AC
i obviously wont apply at AC till i hit the minimums required but by submitting my resume every 1000 hrs
is just a way to reiterate my interest in the company that im working on my hours while hoping to fly for them

Return to “Air Canada”