Summary

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gearDown2green
Rank 0
Rank 0

Summary

Post by gearDown2green »

Hey,

I've been trying to read a lot about Mainline, Rouge, wages, seniority, Pension plan, but it looks like everyone has a different perspective on the subject ...

I'm 43 with 2 kids, and it's like I have been dreaming since I was a kid to fly at AC, but now, I'm wondering if joining AC would really be such a good move ...
The way the seniors describe it doesn't look at all, like what I can expect now :( ...

I know, after 7-8 years, my pay should start to get decent, but I'll be 50 by the time, and
I don't know much about the AC defined contribution plan for retirement ...

And from what I read, Rouge would be a better move as I will probably get a chance to spend some
time with my kids during the we or holidays, before they leave home ...

Anyways, I was hopping to get may be a summary on what to expect, what are the benefits you
really get at AC or Rouge.

Any input greatly appreciated,
Thx
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Summary

Post by TheStig »

Hi,

Very good questions that I'm sure a lot of pilots are curious about. The DC plan might actually work better given your age as the DB plan is heavily weighted towards years of service and you'd have work until 65 given that you weren't hired younger than 35. Maybe someone here on the DC plan could provide you with better details. I'd certainly like to know more about it.

rouge is still a bit of an unknown variable, but the picture has become a little clearer and the positions have been bid relatively senior. As an example, the recent A319 rouge Captain positions in YUL were all bid by pilots that could have held (higher paying) mainline A320 positions. With that said, being senior at mainline is preferable as it provides ultimate control over your schedule. It's hard to know exactly what to expect over the next few years, lack of retirements has really slowed things down right now and it seems as though everyone is in a holding pattern until the 787's start showing up and pilots once again start retiring.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

As an example, the recent A319 rouge Captain positions in YUL were all bid by pilots that could have held (higher paying) mainline A320 positions

Why would one do that, given

With that said, being senior at mainline is preferable as it provides ultimate control over your schedule.

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

Some people prefer the socialized bidding rather than being junior reserve, and rouge will be taking some of the most productive flying too.

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

As DBC stated Rouge will have productive flying and I believe only day turns. For example a Caribbean round-trip and you're home for dinner. Also, Rouge has no reserve so you can fly more than at the mainline and even possibly make more $$.

mars4
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mars4 »

Not only flying 2 legs a day going south, but due to low wages young new FAs :smt040

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

mars4 wrote:Not only flying 2 legs a day going south, but due to low wages young new FAs :smt040

Well, I'll be. Your last chance to "go steady"

:smt008 :rock: :heart: :drinkers:

Return to “Air Canada”