AME-M vs AME-S

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mgonzalez03
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME-M vs AME-S

Post by mgonzalez03 »

I am interested in becoming an AME and have been looking at courses at Mohawk College in hamilton ontario. They offer a maintenance technician course and a structures technician course and I am just trying to get more info about both trades before I make a decision. I am just wondering what kind of salary I would be looking at for both of these as an apprentice and as a licensed AME. Also what kind of demand there is in the Hamilton/GTA area in southern ontario. If you could please give me more info about these that would be appreciated and also do you think this is a good trade to get into.
---------- ADS -----------

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AME-M vs AME-S

Post by LousyFisherman »

<kindness>
Isn't there a thread "Future AME Discouraged"
Start there
</kindness>
And I'm not an AME

LF

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

I think you want to go the structures route. Less travel, less variety, sameish pay, you might be able to stay in SO too.

You can start with the M and get a basic understanding of structures to see if you want to go that way also.

mgonzalez03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mgonzalez03 »

Less travel is a good thing and from what ive been hearing about the pay for ame-m it doesnt sound too bad you can make a living off that. I contacted the coordinator at mohawk college and they said the bigger companies around here are having a hard time getting structures people. Anyone know anything about that?

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

I've been doing Structures for too long and while there is demand, I find there is less selection for places to work/live compared to having an M license. Do whichever one you think you'll enjoy more. If you have an artistic side, go S, if you are more mechanical go M. My 2 bits.

mgonzalez03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mgonzalez03 »

Has anyone here taken either of these courses at Mohawk College. If so what kind of luck have you had finding a job after? There are a few companies at Hamilton Airport that I know about. Kelowna, West Jet and im not sure if purolator there would have there own mechanics I dont have too much knowledge about this field yet but are any of these good places to work?

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

Kelowna flightcraft is the Purolator contractor in Hamilton airport. Large base with opportunities, big jets are fun to work on too.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

If you have an artistic side, go S, if you are more mechanical go M
Indeed.

with an S license (it is my humble opinion) you will be just as valuable (depending on the company) as an M mechanic. And you can always go after your M license later.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I've been around aviation for a while and pay close attention when I watch people practice their trade. I still have no idea how structures guys make metal bend the way they can. No matter how much I try, I can never get my stuff to look that good. If you really be humbled watch a guy with an English wheel and then try it yourself.

Juggernaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Juggernaut »

The training period is about the same for both licences. When you complete your M licence you can specialize in the S area and your M licence has a blanket coverage. Same for E licence, your M licence covers it. At least you can fall back on the M licence if you become interested in trying something different. You can't do that with the S and E licence.

Return to “Maintenance”