Air Transat hiring

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Transat hiring

Post by TopperHarley »

They did some interviews last week. I know one guy who was hired into a pool (he had no type rating).

Right now I believe the company will give preference to CJ pilots who have applied, calls have gone out this week for more interviews. There's not enough 737 typed pilots who've applied to fill the spots, and I don't think anyone with a A330 or A310 TR will be applying.

Seeing how Canjet helped us out with layoffs, I think TS is giving preferential interviews to their pilots. Having said that, I don't think TS will hire strictly from CJ because then CJ would be short on pilots.
---------- ADS -----------

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Furthermore, it's not a problem to give preference to people with type ratings... it will be a problem though if we bring in foreign pilots to fill those spots. I really doubt that will happen, seeing how vocal Transat was in regards to this issue. But that's just my opinion.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

FICU wrote:
Jean-Luc Monette wrote:LMO? What LMO...
I fail to see where, in the ad, is it written that you need to be type rated on either the A310, A330 or B737NG to be considered for a position...
Requirements

-Hold a valid qualification on B737, A310 or A330
Sunwing part deux!
Hey!

It's one thing to ask for type ratings just in case you are able to attract a few people who have one before hiring and training CANADIANS that don't.

Requiring type ratings as a sine qua non condition for the sole purpose of excluding CANADIAN pilots to favor type rated foreigners instead is a whole different story.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Then the add should say "preference to applicants with valid type ratings"

The "requirements" in that add exclude any non type rated applicants the way I read it.

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

Applied here, over 5k TT but all on turbo prop. Obviously no type rating on any of the three listed but keeping my fingers crossed for an interview at least.

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Can anybody provide an update about interview? Is there any interview happening this weekend? Have they called anybody for interview?

Bandit 07

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Interviews on a weekend?

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Good point Ahramin,

Can anybody provide an update about interview? Is there any interview happening this week? Have they called anybody for interview?

Bandit07

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Gents,

Can anybody provide an update on Air Transat hiring? Are they still doing interview this week? Is it only type rated individual from CJ?

B07

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

What I heard was that they had done a few interviews these days (last week and this week) but that the bulk of them would be for January.

They are looking for type rated but some of those that were interviewed were not.

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

And I know a few people who do not speak French who are being interviewed, so keep applying boys and girls!

Cheers

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Scuba,

Is it fair to assume that these people are type rated 737?

B07

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

I *think* all the recent interviewees of the past week are Canjet guys. The company did interview a handful of non-737 guys during the first round of interviews though. I know a guy who was "hired" into a pool (non 737 rated, Jazz pilot). I imagine once they finish the interviews they'll make their final selections, probably guys from CJ will get preference but obviously the company can't hire exclusively from CJ as I don't think they received enough applicants.

I don't know when the first groundschool will be, but it sounds like some time in January. I'm hearing about 30 spots need to be filled between now and spring, mix of 737 and yoyo positions (i.e. 310/737, 330/737, and 737 permanent). But we have a bid coming out soon so it'll also depend on internal movement.

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Does anybody know how many parts in the interview? Medical, simulator, interview?

B07

Niodatchi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Niodatchi »

The screening process starts with a phone interview either in english or french depending on your mother tongue. Just to know if you are interested in a position with Air Transat. Then you get invited to the screening. It starts with a medical. Basic blood work (cholesterol, sugar, drugs etc..) and urine test again for the usual (blood, protein, drugs etc..) at a private clinic in Dorval. Then you do the interview in front of one chief pilot, one union representative and one Human Ressources employee. The interview is very standard, no tricky questions. Also, few scenarios to put you in a situation where you would have to make a decision, or make a judgement call. All very logical. If successful, you get a second interview, this time in a separate room with the VP ops. Where you will be asked again, why Air Transat, and why we should hire you. The interview will be in french if that is you mother tongue, with a small part in english. If english is your mother tongue, the interview will be in english with a small part in french. Like :"Etes-vous pret a demenager a Toronto?" Are you willing to relocate to Toronto? That kind of basic stuff. If you made it to the interview, that means, they want you, so don't worry about your french skills. They don't interview people they don't want. Then once all the interviews are completed, you go to CAE where you will do the sim eval. You don't have to have any jet time or any experience on a heavy to pass this eval. You just use your current SOP. All they want to see is your CRM and basic IFR skills(Non-precision app.NDB,VOR tracking, hold entry, precision approaches).Hope that helps! I cannot think of anything else.All the best! :smt040 Nio

dash8pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dash8pilot »

They extended the application deadline till jan 2014, maybe they are having a hard time getting qualified (type rated) applicants?

Bandit07
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bandit07 »

Does anybody has specific information on profile flown in the sim? Did you fly over YUL? Which approach flown? Please PM with info.

B07

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Takeoff, bit of hand flying, hold entry, NDB approach on autopilot. That's very old info, but I'll guarantee you whatever they do, it'll be at yul.

baldchiefpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by baldchiefpilot »

just curious... why do they do the medical before the interview? wasted of money if they end up not taking him :?

Niodatchi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Niodatchi »

It's not an aviation medical! It's just to make sure you are healthy,I.E. no protein, no sugar, no blood in urine and no HIV etc.. in the blood.Hope it anwers your question! From what I see from the sim schedule, interviews are ongoing in January!Best luck to all candidates! Yes!
of the last 6 hired, 4 were from Toronto!;) Nio

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”