Dakota KG 354 WW2 History

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Historybuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dakota KG 354 WW2 History

Post by Historybuff »

Hello All,
My first posting on this site and it's a call for help! My Father-in-law JC Clifton "Tip" Holborn now deceased, flew Dakota KG 354 # 437 Squadron, during WW2. The aircraft is currently in Anchorage Alaska US civil # N59314. In settling my mother-in-law's estate we found some of Tip's service records and an album of old photos from that time. One photo shows Admiral Von Freideburgh disembarking the aircraft, it is captioned Reims, France and dated May 11, 1945. I was told by a friend of Tips that Tip flew German Chief of Staff Alfred Jodl as well. Another photo labelled "The Crew" identifies them as "Cliff - Lou - Kitch - Denny". Denny I know to be Trevor Dennison Broad who stood in for Tip when I married my wife, Tip's oldest daughter. We had very little knowledge of Tip's duties until we found these records and photos. Tip married a British girl during the war and returned home to Canada. After a few years on the family farm near Shedden Ontario he re-enlisted and a few years later passed away while serving the RCAF at North Bay. I'm trying to put together a journal for family members commemorating Tip's war involvement. Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted Archives Canada for what ever they may have. Thank you for reading this and for any history you collectively may be able to offer.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
This is a current photo of KG 354 as of December 2013.
This is a current photo of KG 354 as of December 2013.
scan0001.jpg (922.84 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Historybuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dakota KG 354 WW2 History

Post by Historybuff »

Hello Everyone. I'm going to try to attach some photos related to my earlier post. I have quite a number of them and if there is another site anyone can suggest that might help me with identification of people and places I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks
Jim

Historybuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Historybuff »

I seem to be having trouble posting the pictures. The files uploaded but not sure why they don't show on my earlier post. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Jim

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

I'm sorry I can't help with the information you're looking for but the picture finally worked. Thanks for posting the story and the picture. It's absolutely astonishing how those old aeroplanes just keep going..and going...and going. She looks like she's still in great shape, having far outlived her original crew!

Jack81298
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jack81298 »

Hello, I’m hoping your still active as I can see the original post is a few years old now, I cannot offer any further advice as for your relative but I was wondering if you could help me at all
My great uncle was an airborne engineer who jumped on Dday and I’ve got recorded that his plane was KG 354, which obviously matches with your plane
I was wondering if you had any information that could confirm this to be the same aircraft

Many thanks
Jack

Historybuff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Historybuff »

Hello Jack,
Sorry to be so long getting back to you. I'm sorry I can't answer your question but a bunch of us who are decendants of the wartime members of 437 Husky Squadron have formed a group and are now working together through the RCAF Association putting together the wartime history of that Squadron. Please email me at j.s.vand@gmail.com giving me as much info as tou can and I'll share your question with the group.
JimV

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”