How to make an entry again in aircraft maintenance.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to make an entry again in aircraft maintenance.

Post by singh615 »

Hello fellas,

I've been searching and applying huge no of AME apprentice jobs but I am not getting the any response.

I moved to Canada Last year and Back home in India i did my aircraft maintenance Engineering Course.I worked with some companies for 2 years.
And got experience on choppers and wide body Like A330 And 320 family too.I don't have any friend or any professional link to guide me up.I need some help.what should I do to get an entry level position here in any company.I am very Passionate about My work as aircraft Mechanic.
Please help me out.
I'd be grateful
:)
thanks
---------- ADS -----------

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How to make an entry again in aircraft maintenance.

Post by flatface »

Deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singh615 »

I am an international student...i am legaly allowed to work.
And yes my experience is real.I have experience with one of the very well known airlines.moreover i have alot of supporting documents issued by government of india.
Each paper of ame I passed was conduted by govt of india and i have their marksheets issued from the govt.
In addition i maintained my log book from the begining.
and superseeding everything i have sound theoretical knowledge of wahtever i have worked.

Could you give me some options which can get me an easy entry.do i need to convert my certifiactes.

I would be truely gratefull if you can show me a way to proceed.
Thankx

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

If you're a student looking to work part time as an apprentice aircraft mechanic, your chances are slim at best. Few employers are going to be willing to work around an apprentice's class schedule to accommodate them, even for graduates or students in TC approved maintenance courses; most likely less so for a candidate without the TC approved schooling.
Even for licenced AMEs with credentials, endorsements and experience wishing to work contract or part time, it generally comes down to knowing someone inside a company to land such work.
As far as your offshore experience and training, you'll have to submit the documentation to transport for evaluation. Click Here I don't think you're going to find any shortcuts.
Hate to sound so negative, but reality is reality and sometimes, reality bites.

Last edited by GyvAir on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singh615 »

I will be getting my 3 years work permit shortly and i can work full time.

Do you mean the best idea is to go to transport canada in person? And ask them for my options?

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Unlike your posts here, try to get a native English speaker proof read your cover letter and resume as it might help get you an interview at least.

Because maintenance manuals can be confusing at the best of times you will probably find that people are hesitant to hire someone who they will have to teach English to in order to do the job. Or if you are able to talk to potential employers in person it might also help overcome that perception.

Not that everyone will really care, but if they have a stack of 20 resumes to sort through it is much easier to throw out the poorly written ones first.

You also need to go to Transport Canada in person and get the official paperwork to show that they accept your previous schooling as this is probably the single biggest issue any employer will have. Transport will need original copies of your educational diplomas and such to verify and see if they can accept any of it as valid in Canada.

singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singh615 »

Thank you everyone for the guidance.
And well about my linguistic represtation in my resume I believe it is quite descent and profesional.
And i've been updating it everytime so that it can appear better.

I'll go to transport canada soon.and I will get back to you guys for further info.

Thanks once again.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

http://www.shiksha.com/getListingDetail ... kata-India

Start here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... u-2534.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... l-2535.htm

Take a look at the info presented at the Transport Canada website.
yes my experience is real.I have experience with one of the very well known airlines.moreover i have alot of supporting documents issued by government of india.
Each paper of ame I passed was conduted by govt of india and i have their marksheets issued from the govt.
In addition i maintained my log book from the begining.
and superseeding everything i have sound theoretical knowledge of wahtever i have worked.

Could you give me some options which can get me an easy entry.do i need to convert my certifiactes.
From what I have been told it is not easy to get an Indian license:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_M ... 28India%29

http://dgca.nic.in/licencing/lic-ind.htm

Can you tell us more about the examinations you took and the certificates you now have?
Because maintenance manuals can be confusing at the best of times you will probably find that people are hesitant to hire someone who they will have to teach English to in order to do the job. Or if you are able to talk to potential employers in person it might also help overcome that perception.
It was my experience that all aircraft manuals used in India are in English, that English is the voice of aviation in India, and the people in aviation in India are quite fluent in English. Now whether singh615 is playing us with the misspelled words is something entirely different........

Singh615. You have not told us where you are located. That might be helpful.
I am an international student...i am legaly allowed to work.
I will be getting my 3 years work permit shortly and i can work full time.
So you can work now? Or will be able to work shortly?

I have seen first hand the hardships endured by Indian (as well as other immigrants) mechanics and can assure you that for them there were few shortcuts.

Most of the Indian mechanics either went to an accredited aviation school in Canada or took the ICS course.

http://www.icslearn.ca/aircraft/

Be that as it may if you are in Toronto you can try Contrail Aerospace (on Linked in as well). Perhaps Cedric can help.....

singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singh615 »

Yes you are right it is difficult to pass ame examinations in india.
I've basic aircraft maintenance certificates(BAMEC) of jet engine and heavy aircraft.
Dgca issues these certificates once the candidate has passed their examinations,these examinations can only be taken by those candiates who have successfully completed their Ame course with 70% and above.
After a person has sufficient experience on a specific aircraft only then he can apply for Ame liscense.
Moreover every person has his own unique roll no.which stays with him for all his examinations.And by this roll number every examination he has passed can be verified from Dgca.

I am living in torronto.and I have full time work permit.And I can work full time.

rolly117
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rolly117 »

You're no far from Windsor, Have you tried Premier.They wave put a fifty ads in avcanada in a month

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

http://www.aerocare.ca/grooming.html

You could also start as a groomer. Once you are in you will be going to different hangars and see the companies you might be interested in. As you can see they have an extensive list of clients (some not shown....)

All AME's start out as groomers at Air Georgian (north end of Pearson off Derry Rd. Next to Field Aviation).

If you got Zet's on airport road you will see Air Canada and Jazz mechanics Ad nauseam. And right across from Zet's is the Jazz hangar.

You will see AME's (originally from India or Indian background) that now work at either Jazz or Air Canada (so you should have no issues making contacts).

You could go down to the Toronto Island Airport and drop off your resume directly with Porter and Trans Capital Air. Take the elevator down once you get off the ferry and take the escalator to Porter's office. Trans Capital occupies the old hangar on the east side of the airport. Just look for the 4 engined airplanes. And bang on the door. Bell might not work.....)

As well you could go to Bombardier in Downsview on Garrett blvd. And drop off a resume at the frt desk (dark mirrored "main" entrance).

MHI. They make wings for the challenger (global express. Are they doing that now ??) Mitsubishi Heavy Industries......

You have Skyservice and Westjet on Midfield Rd.

Do you want info on Hamilton and Kitchener???? Windsor is a bit too far for me.

Then you have JD Aero in Sault Ste Marie.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

dashx wrote:MHI. They make wings for the challenger (global express. Are they doing that now ??) Mitsubishi Heavy Industries......
Yes, they still do that, and I've recently heard they're hiring...

singh615
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by singh615 »

I went to regional office-transport Canada at North york .My documents are now under processes of verification and if my Diploma(AME) syllabus meets transport Canada's criteria,then i can give Technical examinations for "M" rating.Those examinations can be an additional asset in my resume and will also support the Acceptance of my credit by transport Canada.
What I came to know from them was that i need not to convert any license,If want to work as technician or apprentice.
I am now applying for apprentice jobs.
can I have some more info for hunting any Ramp agent job or Apprentice job around Toronto area.And any additional things I can do to convince the employer, so that I get an entry Initially.

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flatface »

Deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Return to “Maintenance”