AC to start LHR-AMS-LHR using 319

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

AC to start LHR-AMS-LHR using 319

Post by newcomer »

---------- ADS -----------

mikeecho
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AC to start LHR-AMS-LHR using 319

Post by mikeecho »

I wonder if this is a preemptive strike against WestJet.

If their foray into the DUB market goes well, WestJet are on record as saying it will determine whether they pursue further business in Europe and they recently advised that the DUB sales were better than expected, so I'm sure AC is looking at what the next logical steps are.

I can see WestJet looking to add routes that connect with their partners hubs or significant operations (ie. AMS, LGW) from YYT or even YHZ so maybe this helps them push WS back a bit?

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

This is go move for AC. They'll put a whole bunch of Star member codes on the flights and they'll fill the planes very easily. The yield will not be great. AC will put a prorate agreement in p,ace with the Star members, but this is a short sector feeding long haul flow. The yield will be lower than local market yield. But, I doubt AC will have local market access unless the Canada-UK air service agreement permits fifth freedom rights beyond LHR.

bmc
MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

I was bored and I read the whole thread on the linked page. If I read correctly (*disclaimer I was reading over it relatively quickly), AC has grandfathered 5th freedom rights or something and they have 7th freedom rights too. I don't have time right now to re-read the thread again. Maybe somebody can confirm or correct me.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

At one time the Canada-UK air service agreement had provisions for two Canadian and two British airlines. I haven't been near it in years and provisions may have been amended. I can't recall what points beyond the UK are specified. I'm sure AMS and BRU and there.

bmc

Return to “Air Canada”