What is a typical time to gain an AME license?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CentCollStud1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

What is a typical time to gain an AME license?

Post by CentCollStud1234 »

What is a typical time to gain an AME license after graduation? Urban legend had told me that it takes a longgggggggggggggggggggg time. Especially the avionics license.
2 to 3 years after graduation is just a dream. Is it much more than that? 2 to 3 times more?
Is TCCA too tough?? and/or the employers just don't want to sign you off on tasks you had done??
What is happening in this industry?
---------- ADS -----------

sparky99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What is a typical time to gain an AME license?

Post by sparky99 »

It all depends where you work and what you're doing. After you graduate, you have to complete the 2 1/2 years of experience anyways... so that's a starting point. I had no problem filling mine out in less time than that and had it submitted well before the time was up. Went in at the end, wrote CARS, and was all done.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

2 to 3 years after graduation is just a dream
?????

5 years from start of school to end of apprentiship...if you get a job right out of school...no problem

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I got mine a few months shy of four years after graduation. It only took so long because I had to put in an additional 12 months to get an M1 because I was three months short of M2 experience and didn't quite have enough tasks.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
CentCollStud1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

That is a lot better than what I heard. I guess some unlucky dudes may spend more time than that.

Popol
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Popol »

Got my ame a little bit under 2 years after graduation. Of course I was working when taking my course (3 years course in quebec)

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

Got mine in 3 years after graduation.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

every so often you come across AMEs who won't sign off on tasks or put a too much into it. Not that they should be pen whipping your log book either. But there are guys who make someone do a task 3-4 times and such before they sign off. So you end up with an apprentice with a blank log book after 3 years or more.

If you get into a situation like that you need to speak with your DOM. If it is the DOM doing that, might be time to try a new company.

Some AME's think that their signature for a log book is god. I've filled out so many log books for capable apprentices where I was the only signature cause the others don't play fairly.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

I agree that some AME's have a warped attitude when it comes to signing apprentices logbooks. Some guys I know won't put their signature down without a case of beer (purchased by the apprentice) or some other kind of benefit put before them. I'm of the opinion that if you are a licensed AME, it is your responsibility and duty to sign out a capable apprentices logbook if you witnessed them do the task. For those asking for some benefit for signing out tasks in a log book, SHAME ON YOU!

CentCollStud1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Good insight. It all depends on who you work with.
I guess it is very important to find the right employer ....the very first time ...
:prayer: Hail AME for kindly signing my logbook.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

One other note for would be apprenti, be aggressive on your tasks. You should know your log book and what is due, watch the maintenance and if you see a task you need volunteer saying you need it.

Some tasks don't come by very often, being aggressive and AME's being fair should get the tasks signed.

Also don't let the tasks build up that require signatures. Have your log book filled out while the AME is doing the aircraft log book. Then slide it over to get your signature at the same time. Your signature should happen the same shift you did the task. No AME wants to be handed a log book with back dated entries wondering if they were on shift and are these legit.

Schools should teach this. But there is a lot the schools don't teach.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

Took me a little under three years from completing the course to getting my license (all M2). For someone just starting out I would say if one includes the schooling then overall start to finish planning on being licensed in four to five years would be about right.

I could have done it slightly shorter, but I got lazy too many times with my log book and thus it took longer to get it filled out. My advise to apprentii: at the finish of every single task you do (even tying your shoes) go straight to your log book and see if it is in there. If it is then take it straight to your friendly neighborhood AME and get it signed out. Even if it's 2.30 in the morning and your logbook is four miles away up hill both ways through blowing snow at -68`. NEVER say "oh I'll get ___ to sign that out tomorrow", because half the time it won't get done and the before you know it you'll be ready to write CARs and be stuck looking at a half empty logbook going "frick I know I did half this stuff why didn't I put it in here". And I know it isn't just me, I've watched the same thing happen to a few apprentices now.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Another thing is to try and anticipate tasks that you need to do and be proactive about trying to get them accomplished.

The nice thing about where I worked is that we always swapped with the other shift with each new plane (they would do fuse and landing gear, we would do wings, tail and engines... and vice versa) so you got access to the whole airplane on about a two month cycle for a heavy check. Then I'd work it out with my fellow apprenti so we weren't duplicating tasks in our logbooks and plead our case to the crew chief. Usually he was pretty good about it, since he wanted us to get licensed and appreciated not having to figure out how to divide all of the work up. But as apprentices... of course you still have your fair share of being panel bitches.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ramp_rat »

CentCollStud1234 wrote:What is a typical time to gain an AME license after graduation? Urban legend had told me that it takes a longgggggggggggggggggggg time. Especially the avionics license.
2 to 3 years after graduation is just a dream. Is it much more than that? 2 to 3 times more?
Is TCCA too tough?? and/or the employers just don't want to sign you off on tasks you had done??
What is happening in this industry?
If you are that desperate to get your license go to school in the States and you can write your exam right away after graduation!! :D :D :D

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

Last edited by tellyourkidstogetarealjob on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

TC had introduced a program that analyzes each log book and counts entries. The quality of tasks in irrelevant. It is just quantity.
could you elaborate on this "program"

There is no requirement to have a logbook and no requirement for any "quantities". You just have to have completed 70% of the published tasks and the way you prove this is not regulated other than:
(iv) Proof of having completed aircraft maintenance tasks shall take the form of a certification by the AME, or equivalent person who supervised the work. The certification statement shall include the date, aircraft type, registration mark, or component serial number as applicable, and confirm that the applicant is able to:

(A) identify the applicable standard for the task;

(B) select the proper tools;

(C) perform the work correctly without supervision; and

(D) complete the necessary documentation.

(v) Persons who sign for completion of maintenance tasks shall be responsible for the accuracy of statements made.
I got my licence with a simple letter and a list of accomplished tasks. That was in the early 90's but as far as I know nothing has changed.
As proof of experience, the applicants shall submit a personal log book or equivalent document signed by the persons responsible for the maintenance release of the work items recorded.

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

Last edited by tellyourkidstogetarealjob on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Hmmm... I would say a couple of times a year on average...maybe less.

We have a few engineers so everyone pitches in...and it's almost always an "equivalent document"

We track everything by workorder and rarely sign out individual tasks but instead all of the tasks at the same time...whether they are leaving or applying for their licence...the records are easy to review.

arcticheliwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arcticheliwrench »

It really depends on the region and individual inspector (who's kingdom you are in and which minion you get). I got both M1 and M2 at the same time by presenting two log books with entries happening over the same time frame. A big thing to note it is 70% of applicable tasks. Being in helicopters is kind of an advantage this way. Turbine helicopters can count toward either, and there are many tasks that are not applicable such as lavatories, flight control surfaces, and IFR avionics if working for an operator of VFR machines, etc. Be sure to write N/A in pencil in your log book (or log sheets) for all the tasks that are not possible to do on the aircraft you work on.

I had my M1/M2 two years and four months after graduation due to a few months work I had logged before starting school and BCITs program taking 16 moths but worth 18 toward the 4 year requirement.

But colleagues in the east had no such luck getting both at the same time and had to submit a second log book that could not have any entries from before the issuance of the first rating or some such nonsense.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

It really depends on the region and individual inspector 
I would agree with that.
I remember a certain Avionics AMO out of Delta, BC that used to have all of their certifications done out of an Alberta TC office.
For some reason they wouldn't use the Pacific Region Inspectors.

Return to “Maintenance”