Quitting without a bond.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Quitting without a bond.

Post by AllClutch »

#
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by AllClutch on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Quitting without a bond.

Post by ahramin »

I was in a similar situation, fresh PPC and got a job offer from another company. In that case I negotiated that the new company would pay the sim cost for the pilot who replaced me at the old company.

Going to an airline gig is different, as you obviously can't negotiate anything and it is also to be expected that pilots do not get to choose when they get a job offer at an airline. If you really felt that you were very well treated and compensated at the old company, there is nothing wrong with offering to pay half the training cost.

Another alternative would be to offer to continue working part time for the old company.

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

I recall working for a night freight company after they paid for my PPC.
I was offered a dream job and turned it down.
Two weeks later the night freight company went broke and
I did not get paid for the last month.

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

Last edited by AllClutch on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Hell yes take the airline job. You can always go back.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

If you're in a financial position to make that offer to your current employer, and you really do have a great relationship with them, then by all means talk to them about it. As you say, you're not contractually obligated to do it, but even making the offer would almost certainly guarantee an excellent future reference if it's ever needed.

I agree with others who say that you would probably regret not giving the show a try. And I suspect even your current employer would have to agree.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

If feasible offer contract services to help them out.
I wouldn't turn down this job, have a open and honest discussion with your boss. This is not the first time nor is this the last that this happens. Depending on how often this company hires you could delay your course to give your current employer time to retrain your replacement.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

But seriously, hats off to allclutch for thinking of pilots behind him :thumbs up:

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Propjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Propjet »

In the <12.5 world I think 1 yr is the most a company can expect a driver to commit to. Most aren't in that kind of airplane for the long haul. beyond 1 yr the company has made their money off your services and anything past 1 yr is a bonus for the company. In larger A/C or jets sometimes the expectation is 2-3 yrs. the fact that the offer comes up 3 months after the upgrade is just bad timing, but I think that's the cost of doing business. 21 total months of service is respectable.

To up and leave for another company on the same aircraft type would be a slap in the face to the present employer. But any reasonable operator should understand that airline opportunities don't come along all the time and when one does you have to jump on it if that's what you really want.

I've always tried to do the "honourable" thing, and perhaps I'd be inclined to throw them a few bucks as a gesture of good will. But I don't think its necessary and I certainly don't think you should feel bad for leaving. Things don't always work out neat and tidy, this is the nature of the business and no matter how much the company gripes and moans they know it too. I don't think anyone would harbour a grudge if you left with a thanks and a handshake.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

If you are not going to give them a year, post PPC, then dont just offer go give them beer money like the previous poster suggested, BUT find out how much it will cost to train your replacement and DONT just offer to pay the company that BUT DO sign a cheque and give it to the boss PERIOD! If they are in a bind and need you for a month or 2, make arrangements, otherwise, you will be just another ass-wipe, selfish dreamer ! :wink:

Return to “General Comments”