First time flyer

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MsSass86
Rank 0
Rank 0

First time flyer

Post by MsSass86 »

I am flying for the first time in about 4.5 weeks, from YFC to YYZ, also first time I've been out of the maritimes. I booked a Tango fare ticket (I know, I've heard things but I am on a budget and couldn't dish out the few hundred extra for Flex). Frankly, the things I've heard do make me nervous but I don't know what the chances are I will actually run in to problems as long as I check in early and arrive at the airport with plenty of time. I am not planning to check any baggage...I am only going for a week, so just packing everything in my roller carry on, with snacks and stuff in my purse. And cross my fingers the flight goes well, I make my connections, and don't get bumped. I'm just really anxious, that's just how I am, and especially with it being my first time. I've never even been in an airport let alone on a plane.

Also wondering about if there are any tips on how to not look like hell upon arrival at my destination. My flight leaves at 5:30am from Fredericton, and will be arriving in Calgary at 10:20ish am their time. So I'll be up very early to give time to shower, pack last minute things, and get a cab to the airport 20 minutes away, and I am going to visit my best friend and meet her new baby girl. I know she wants to take me to a couple places in Calgary after she picks me up, since she lives about an hour outside...take advantage of the city while we are already there and it's early kind of thing. I have long naturally curly hair, and I hear airplane air is very dry...anybody have any good tips on how to keep your hair looking good and not totally dry up and frizz out? I don't want to look all dull and blah in the face either. If I could just go right back to her house and relax I wouldn't care but we'll be going right out and running around, so I'm hoping there may be tips on looking fresh after a very early rise and 7.5ish hour journey.

Sorry if this is rambly...I just worry and I like to have everything I am able to control planned out well before it NEEDS to be so I have the time to prepare and make sure I have everything together, etc.
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: First time flyer

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Well, I shave my balding head so can't help with the hair part. Don't stress to much. As much as people on this website will enjoy bashing Air Canada, they do provide a pretty exceptional service. I have never had a single problem with them or WestJet aside from very minor delays. Although I don't travel on airlines as much as some, I do end up on a commercial flight 15-20 times/yr.

If you tell the gate agent and/or the Flight Attendant that this is your first flight and that you are a bit nervous, I'm sure they will be very happy to assist you in just about any way you need.

Arrive early, if that will make you feel better but just make sure you have your proper id and ticket and the rest should be a breeze. Remember the liquids rules for carry on luggage, no beverages(incl water) or any liquid/gel over 15ml?, and anything you do carry must be its container inside a clear plastic bag for the security to see it clearly.

Hope that helps. I'm sure the peanut gallery and a few more helpful posts will pop up. Don't be offended by the naysayers, some people just aren't happy in life and feel everyone else should feel the same way. Enjoy your first flight and be sure to come back and tell us how it was!

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Well, I shave my balding head so can't help with the hair part. Don't stress to much. As much as people on this website will enjoy bashing Air Canada, they do provide a pretty exceptional service. I have never had a single problem with them or WestJet aside from very minor delays. Although I don't travel on airlines as much as some, I do end up on a commercial flight 15-20 times/yr.

If you tell the gate agent and/or the Flight Attendant that this is your first flight and that you are a bit nervous, I'm sure they will be very happy to assist you in just about any way you need.

Arrive early, if that will make you feel better but just make sure you have your proper id and ticket and the rest should be a breeze. Remember the liquids rules for carry on luggage, no beverages(incl water) or any liquid/gel over 15ml?, and anything you do carry must be its container inside a clear plastic bag for the security to see it clearly.

Hope that helps. I'm sure the peanut gallery and a few more helpful posts will pop up. Don't be offended by the naysayers, some people just aren't happy in life and feel everyone else should feel the same way. Enjoy your first flight and be sure to come back and tell us how it was!
+1 to the above.

I can attest to cndpilot77's recessing hair line. I don't have the same problem although I have been finding many grey hairs as of late!

To add to the advice above, I would suggest that you resist the temptation to consume alcoholic beverages and or as many nervous flyers do at times do not take any "mellowing-out pills" (adavan as an example)
Drink plenty of water during your flight, sit back relax and enjoy the flight!

All the best,
TPC

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

It will be a breeze, just show up at least 2 hours early and you will be fine. It is domestic travel so there aren't as many hoops to jump through as international.

The liquid restriction might make you want to check a bag. No liquid or gel container can be over 100mL, maximum of 10 containers, and they all have to fit in one 1L plastic bag. Just remember it is not the amount of liquid, but the container size. if it says 101mL on the side, you will be forced to throw it out. Checking a bag is not so bad though, you can bring all your shampoos, sprays, etc.

I don't think there's much you can do to appear rested unless you are rested, so try and take a nap. Some people bring light sleeping pills with them which may help. Otherwise, just relax and enjoy the flight. Air Canada is my favourite airline to fly on out of any in the world, it should be great.

MsSass86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MsSass86 »

Thanks for your replies :) Sometimes I wish I was bald rather than deal with this mop of hair, ha! The pains of being a girl :wink: Though I have a nice little cluster of grey hair by my right temple...and I'm in my late twenties. I blame my son!

I am planning to arrive when the airport opens at 3:45am, which gives me just under 2 hours, so should be plenty of time to check in and get my boarding passes printed. Won't be hard to resist temptation to drink as I'm not really a drinker, especially at 5:30am, besides the fact I don't want to spend any money which is why I am packing my own snacks and bringing an empty water bottle. I am nervous but I'm sure it will be fun. I look forward to the view out the window, provided I get a window seat!

I am confident I can fit whatever liquids I need for the one week in the proper sized containers and bag. I don't need much, can use my friends shampoo and body wash so I can keep what I bring to a minimum :)

I'm pretty sure I'm about as prepared as I can be, I just get anxious and worry.. it's what I do.

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whoop_whoop »

Try checking in online less than 24 hours before the flight. If your reservation doesn't include a seat number then you can often choose your seat when checking in. Look for that window seat and enjoy the view :)

MsSass86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MsSass86 »

whoop_whoop wrote:Try checking in online less than 24 hours before the flight. If your reservation doesn't include a seat number then you can often choose your seat when checking in. Look for that window seat and enjoy the view :)
Can I do that without access to a printer to print my boarding passes? The local library is closed for renovations until after my return and there is nowhere else I can go to use a printer.

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whoop_whoop »

Can I do that without access to a printer to print my boarding passes? The local library is closed for renovations until after my return and there is nowhere else I can go to use a printer.
For sure...try checking in sometime around 23 hours before departure so that you will have the most choices for seats. If you have a smart phone, it can email a QR code to your phone. Otherwise you can have it send you a text message with a web link (you'd need data on your phone). The last option is to print the boarding pass...select that but don't print it. Just show up to the airport and use a kiosk...you go through the steps as if you're going to check-in from scratch and it'll see that you've already done that. There should be a button there to re-print your boarding pass. If there are no kiosks then the agent should be able to re-print one for you.

MsSass86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MsSass86 »

whoop_whoop wrote:
For sure...try checking in sometime around 23 hours before departure so that you will have the most choices for seats. If you have a smart phone, it can email a QR code to your phone. Otherwise you can have it send you a text message with a web link (you'd need data on your phone). The last option is to print the boarding pass...select that but don't print it. Just show up to the airport and use a kiosk...you go through the steps as if you're going to check-in from scratch and it'll see that you've already done that. There should be a button there to re-print your boarding pass. If there are no kiosks then the agent should be able to re-print one for you.
So do I check in for my connecting flight separately or does the one check in issue both boarding passes?
Thanks so much for answering my ckueless newbie questions!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm pretty sure I'm about as prepared as I can be, I just get anxious and worry.. it's what I do.
Maybe consider what it is you're worried about exactly, and ask yourself if it would be the end of the world if it actually happened. Sounds like you are going to be fine, but if there's a snowstorm or your car won't start and you miss your flight, there'll be another one, so not worth worrying about.

As for the window seat, look into checking in online the day before.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

MsSass86 wrote:So do I check in for my connecting flight separately or does the one check in issue both boarding passes?
One check in will issue both boarding passes.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Krimson wrote:
MsSass86 wrote:So do I check in for my connecting flight separately or does the one check in issue both boarding passes?
One check in will issue both boarding passes.
And when you go to the airport, no need to wait in the check-in line with all the people who don't know how to check in online... Just go to the bag drop (there will be signs).

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

A bit of advice I give to everybody who flies. Always keep your seatbelt fastened. Loosen it if you wish, but don't take it off when the symbol goes off.

bmc
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

bmc wrote:A bit of advice I give to everybody who flies. Always keep your seatbelt fastened. Loosen it if you wish, but don't take it off when the symbol goes off.
Yeah, and hopefully you don't have to sit next to bmc, that guy is just a bit off, look...Image

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

That's the best one yet.

You're crazy :mrgreen:

bmc
MsSass86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MsSass86 »

Thanks everyone... getting closer, 4 weeks from today!

Return to “Air Canada”