Medical expires...flight test needed even if "current"?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Medical expires...flight test needed even if "current"?

Post by Taiser »

Just talking to a buddy of mine who's going for a medical today. He was getting close to the expiry on his medical and wasn't sure if he was going to make it today to get it done and can't get an appointment after today before it expires. He contacted TC and they told him that if his medical expires he has to re-do a flight test with an instructor (same deal as if you had not been flying for 5 years I guess) to get his privileges back after he passes his medical!!! He's been flying weekly and is more than current (he owns his own plane).

This make any sense??? :roll: I looked in CAR's and can't find anything to validate this "rule", but searching for anything specific is always a pain with the setup they have...

Figure some one on here must have gone through this. Is the TC dude making any sense or is he making things up as they often do??? :shock:

Hypothetical question now anyways, buddy is going to make his appointment! :D

Mark
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Medical expires...flight test needed even if "current"?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

He contacted TC and they told him that if his medical expires he has to re-do a flight test with an instructor
This is NOT true. I suspect the story is getting garbled.

As soon as his medical is stamped in his booklet he is
good to go.

Medical validity has NOTHING to do with 5 yr / 2 yr / 6 mo
recency/currency with respect to logging flight time.

I've let more category one medicals expire, than
you've had hot meals.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Thank for the reply Colonel. That's what I figured! Unfortunately, it's not garbled that's what he was specifically told by the knobs at TC hence the panic.

I have enough dealings with TC (work and personal wise, although probably not as much as you ;) ) to not believe what this guy is telling me! LOL

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

This is really simple:

When someone tells you that "you can't do that!"
ask them specifically what CAR it contravenes,
because that's what TC sends you the registered
letter about.

If they can't tell you, it's legal - unless they stoop
to CAR 602.01 which is a kind of award for originality -
you did something that's never been done, in 100 years
of aviation, that they didn't think of outlawing.

Back on topic. Find a CAR that requires a flight test
after a medical is allowed to expire, then is renewed.

There isn't one.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

A Bit of a bump to this topic

As far as i can see My 2 year medical expires on April of this year but the issuance date is marked as June.

What is the expiry date.? The medical anniversary or the issue date anniversary? It took three months to get it issued. i know.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Kejidog wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:36 pm A Bit of a bump to this topic

As far as i can see My 2 year medical expires on April of this year but the issuance date is marked as June.

What is the expiry date.? The medical anniversary or the issue date anniversary? It took three months to get it issued. i know.
Log onto general aviation on-line services on TC"s website, and it will tell you precisely when your medical expires.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... #Licensing

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The medical validity period starts on the date of the medical examination, not the date of issue.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Thanks. I thought of looking on the GARLO site and i also discovered that my night rating is nowhere to be found. I have a payment receipt and my instructor’s entry in my boklet but no entry on the site for it. The written in endorsement expired after 90 days. I am glad I looked. I was planning another night xc with a friend this week. Now I cannot fly at night legally until i get this cleared up. Another problem with transport this makes :
1.my medical 3 month delay.
2 .my aircraft registration 4 month delay and
3.my license took close to 5 months to be processed and returned.
4 now this.

Wow. They are 4 for 4. What great service. I bet the enforcement delays are a real killer.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

If anyone cares;

It was a paperwork error on my cfi’s part. Apparently the form never got sent to transport. And no copy of it at my ftu. So we resubmitted it and now i wait for the sticker. My 90 day temporary has expired so until i get my sticker I can not fly

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Kejidog wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 amIt was a paperwork error on my cfi’s part. Apparently the form never got sent to transport. And no copy of it at my ftu.
Sounds like a well-run school. :roll:
Kejidog wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 amSo we resubmitted it and now i wait for the sticker. My 90 day temporary has expired so until i get my sticker I can not fly
This applies more to the cases where the paperwork does get submitted kind of on time but you or your CFI may be able to talk to TC about getting a temporary. Nice flying weather is just around the corner and I know I'd be doing everything I could to un-ground myself.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Lownslow

The temporary is an option. But for the couple of weeks they promised me for the sticker to arrive i can work the wait. No need to fly at night it is purely for pleasure. I do have to laugh at the 4 week wait for a sticker in the mail though. It is already processed on my license and on the website. But i guess the calligraphy and gold gilding take a long time to produce through the artisans in the basement of transport. :)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Kejidog wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:56 am But i guess the calligraphy and gold gilding take a long time to produce through the artisans in the basement of transport. :)
They have a few alchemists, who finally figured out the method to make gold. Rumour has it the recipe includes asbestos, dilbit, essence of Kevin O'Leary's dreams of being PM, and other rare commodities like truth and a good camembert on a domestic flight...

It takes time to make those stickers look good.

Return to “Flight Training”