Prepurchase inspection in Nanaimo

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Prepurchase inspection in Nanaimo

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

I will likely be looking to have a prepurchase inspection done on a light single in Nanaimo in the next few weeks. If you are interested or can point me in the right direction please let me know.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Prepurchase inspection in Nanaimo

Post by AirFrame »

I'd suggest contacting the Nanaimo Flying Club (http://www.nanaimoflyingclub.org/) and seeing if there's someone there who could help, but I suspect given the size of the club that you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't acquainted with the seller...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Mike @ Nanaimo Aircraft Maintenance. See their website for contact info.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid using Nanaimo Aircraft Maintenance as they currently maintain the airplane, but it's beginning to look like they're the only game in town.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You could also try Darren Adam. I don't have his contact info, but I think this is him:

http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/i ... pic=9904.0

Engineer M2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Engineer M2 »

CpnCrunch wrote:You could also try Darren Adam. I don't have his contact info, but I think this is him:

Are you looking for an M1 or M2 and how in depth of an inspection like a few hours or a couple of days.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Engineer M2 wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote:You could also try Darren Adam. I don't have his contact info, but I think this is him:

Are you looking for an M1 or M2 and how in depth of an inspection like a few hours or a couple of days.
I'm not familliar with AME licences, what's the difference between an M1 and an M2?

I'm looking to have a fairly in depth inspection, the plane flies regularly but it has lived on Vancouver Island (mighty humid environment) for at least the last 20 years so engine and airframe corrosion are my big concerns.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

You don't specifically need any license... but M1 is the one for light aircraft. An M2 or unlicensed person can do a pre-purchase if they know what they are doing under elementary maintenance or with another signing AME to put anything back together that was taken apart.

You don't need an in-depth inspection to determine the condition of the aircraft. A savvy AME should know the aircraft type and where the typical problem areas are. If you see corrosion in one place, chances are it will be in other places as well.... run!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Check the logs for any large gaps in flight time. I went to look at one in Victoria the owner flew it only when he was off rotation, two month off and two months on. He told me he was aware of corrosion and has someone come every couple of weeks to run it up. Later I asked him about the engine, he said its great, after sitting for two months it starts right up.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Will you be keeping the plane on the island? Probably be best to get the company who you plan on having do the :D continual maintenance do the inspection.When is the annual due? What is the make and model of the aircraft?

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

azimuthaviation wrote:He told me he ... has someone come every couple of weeks to run it up. Later I asked him about the engine, he said its great, after sitting for two months it starts right up.
Amazing. Worst thing you can do to the engine is just start it "to run it up". It clearly "starts right up" after sitting for two months.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Darren is my father's AME, i've met him a number of times. He's got a wide variety of experience on light aircraft, and knows his stuff. If you'd like a second opinion, he's a good choice. Flies in to Langley to do my dad's inspection each year. I think he's based in Courtenay?

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

SeptRepair wrote:Probably be best to get the company who you plan on having do the :D continual maintenance do the inspection.
I've always extolled this advice wherever I could.

I used to work for a small AMO, looking after outfitters and GA.

If and airplane came in for an annual that some other AMO or AME had done a pre-purchase on.. Look out.

The AMO's going to find stuff. Sometimes expensive stuff, other times just brow beat the owner around to say,

"Hey, see, you shouldn't have had this jackass do the pre-purchase, you should have hired us! Look what he missed. This could have killed you. This airplane needs work.. You should have gotten this adjusted off of the purchase price... etc, etc.."

It's our egos. We can't help it. Have to find stuff somebody else missed. ~ And that's just the airplane side of it. The books can be an even bigger issue.

Avoid all of that by having the AME who is going to be doing your annuals and running maintenance also do your pre-purchase. Even if you have to ship him across the country. It will be worth it in the long term for sure, and more likely, even in the short term..

It also allows your AME / AMO to develop a comfort-level with the aircraft. That's going to save major tear-down hours at the first annual.

CA

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

SeptRepair wrote:Will you be keeping the plane on the island? Probably be best to get the company who you plan on having do the :D continual maintenance do the inspection.When is the annual due? What is the make and model of the aircraft?
I'll be moving it to Prince George, so it's not really practicable to have the inspection done by the company I'll be dealing with. The annual comes up this month, it's a piper Cherokee.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

If you haven't already had a look at the logs, I'd ask the owner to scan in the last few pages of each and email them to you. It might save you a lot of time and money!

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

ONE option is have a local island ame work closely with your prince george amo,,,,plenty of pics , keep the oil filter element, log pics etc

lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

Well worth the money to send who ever in Prince George is going to do the annual, or make a deal for the owner to fly the plane to you. If it is as advertised after the pre buy you pay for the pilots time, fuel and his ticket home. If it isn't as described then he heads back home with the plane.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

Does anyone have Darren Adam's email address? I tried the one in the link posted and it bounced back.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I've always believed in solid pre-purchase inspections. Make sure all AD's are done. Get the S/B's and special items done as well while you're at it.

On the other hand, I worked with a guy who bought and sold airplanes for many years. He said he never did pre-purchase inspection and bought over the phone. He'd only buy the best planes on the market. He would have the owner read all maintenance entries in the log line by line. He said he could tell right away if the plane was decent by the care taken into the logbooks.

He said he only got burned once. He showed up to take delivery and the plane was full of hail damage. Quebec plane...go figure.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I_Drive_Planes wrote:Does anyone have Darren Adam's email address? I tried the one in the link posted and it bounced back.
His email is wingwrench at gmail dot com. That was active in Oct 2012. I have a 604 phone number, but I'm not sure it's his current number (604 is mainland, and he lives in Courtenay AFAIK).

Return to “Maintenance”