False log book entries

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: False log book entries

Post by ahramin »

A good point complex. To be fair, I only know 2 2000 hour guys who are better than many 10 000 hour guys. I've never met anyone who doesn't improve with experience even if it's just by osmosis.

If you tested a bunch of airline pilots on all the required skills and knowledge though, I don't think the results would correlate very well with hours flown. There are many far more important factors affecting pilot quality.
---------- ADS -----------

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

You can't take away experience, the only guys who think it doesn't matter....have no experience. You need look no further than the disasters unfolding with low time Cadet Programs. Gawd help us with the MCPL!

Parker Pen your heart out tractor, you will be "outed" and labelled accordingly.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

There's a difference between logging time and logging experience as already mentioned in these boards earlier.

Who would you hire for a B1900 Captain Position? Somebody that logged 10000 hours in the right seat of a 777 airliner sleeping in this bunk for 50% of the logged time, or a 3000 hour guy with northern experience, hands on flying, tough routes, up and down type of flying? Given that both have great personalities.

Ahramin hit the nail on the head.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Ahramin,

I was just being dumb. I reposted something you said completely of context just like politicians do during campaigns. I was going to write something about the conservative party but left it non-partisan.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ah :). I didn't have much of an opinion on who would be a good choice to vote for/against for the feds but then the Conservatives put out that retarded attack ad against Justin Trudeau on the radio and cleared that up. Frankly if the worst thing they can come up with is that he's willing to consider ending marijuana prohibition then he sounds pretty good to me.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

loopa wrote:There's a difference between logging time and logging experience as already mentioned in these boards earlier.

Who would you hire for a B1900 Captain Position? Somebody that logged 10000 hours in the right seat of a 777 airliner sleeping in this bunk for 50% of the logged time, or a 3000 hour guy with northern experience, hands on flying, tough routes, up and down type of flying? Given that both have great personalities.

Ahramin hit the nail on the head.
In your example the pilot with 10,000 hours still has far more experience even sleeping half the time (which they don't), so I would definitely hire him to be my BE1900 captain over the 3,000 hour guy. Except, there are no 10,000 hour wide body FO's looking to be BE1900 captains (they're usually B777 captains in far less than half that time).

When I was flying for 704 ops in Canada I had the same attitude that you do, that no coddled airline pilot could handle "The North Tough Routes" that I was flying. But then I became one of those B777 guys and discovered the overall operation was far more challenging and pressure-filled than anything I had done previously.

I do get your point about relevant operational experience - I expressed it myself earlier - but your scenario is a straw man argument.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Just watched GATTACA. Good movie.

Return to “Air Canada”