Air Canada jazz pilots hours

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

one8tee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada jazz pilots hours

Post by one8tee »

aaand one would also argue that boredom breeds fatigue and fatigue breeds mistakes and mistakes cause accidents. Far more accidents than can be attributed to reading unauthorized material in the flight deck.
---------- ADS -----------

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Inverted2 wrote:Its one of those rules that 99% of the crews ignore, but yes there are a few sky gods who dont allow it.
So i'm a sky god if i chose to adhere to the SOP's unless i consider it unsafe to do so? What is this, cafeteria SOP following? Perhaps your tune will change the first time you're hauled in for an interview with your CP following an incident where you used your Capatin's Authority which negatively impacted the integrity of the schedule. However, this likely won't happen to you for awhile as I assume that your an ACJ FO. While the sky god is explaining his/her reasoning to the CP, you will likely be at starbucks reading the newspaper, totally oblivious to the consequences.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I can't believe there is an argument going on about this. Quite entertaining :roll:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Yes, sometimes we agree to disagree! :goodman:

Let’s Go Brandon
FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

What's the chance of a new hire going straight to the RJ out of ground school?

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Zero, people were bumped off and have reinstatement rights.

FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

When do you think the backlog will be cleared by (assuming the AC contract is renewed in 2020 and there is minimal or no growth)?

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

If you want to fly a jet, don't go to Jazz. The RJ fleet could be reduced further and there are a lot of Dash pilots that would prefer to be on the RJ. If you're really looking for a spot on a jet, you might consider Georgian or Sky Regional.

FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

I realize that, but I kind of see Jazz as a long-term thing. I have qualms about flying long-term at Sky, and lets not bring up GGN.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

If you're only interested in flying a jet, you're being severely narrow-minded. I fly the Dash and have a much better quality of life than people with the same seniority on the Q or RJ. I got a week of vacation each month from May through August, can hold Christmas and New Years off and get most of the flying I ask for and I've only been here 2.5 years. Compare that to people in my groundschool on the Q in YYZ are just hovering around the reserve area and will definitely be working every holiday. The RJ is even worse.

I could hold the Q if I wanted, or the RJ out west, but I choose to fly the Dash. If I could stay on the Dash the rest of my career, I would. Don't let jets become the be all and end all of your career aspirations.

FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote:If you're only interested in flying a jet, you're being severely narrow-minded. I fly the Dash and have a much better quality of life than people with the same seniority on the Q or RJ. I got a week of vacation each month from May through August, can hold Christmas and New Years off and get most of the flying I ask for and I've only been here 2.5 years. Compare that to people in my groundschool on the Q in YYZ are just hovering around the reserve area and will definitely be working every holiday. The RJ is even worse.

I could hold the Q if I wanted, or the RJ out west, but I choose to fly the Dash. If I could stay on the Dash the rest of my career, I would. Don't let jets become the be all and end all of your career aspirations.
Duly noted, thank you.

So if I've got this right, the Dash has the best lifestyle but the RJ and Q get to see a bigger variety?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

FlyPorter wrote:
DHC-1 Jockey wrote:If you're only interested in flying a jet, you're being severely narrow-minded. I fly the Dash and have a much better quality of life than people with the same seniority on the Q or RJ. I got a week of vacation each month from May through August, can hold Christmas and New Years off and get most of the flying I ask for and I've only been here 2.5 years. Compare that to people in my groundschool on the Q in YYZ are just hovering around the reserve area and will definitely be working every holiday. The RJ is even worse.

Duly noted, thank you.

So if I've got this right, the Dash has the best lifestyle but the RJ and Q get to see a bigger variety?
Silly answer from a silly old goat.......... if flying jet equipment is your lot in life, the look for a position with Air Canada/Rouge, you will start on one and end your time on one........ just saying :partyman:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Stinky, are you a jazz pilot, seriously?
Flyporter, there were some RJ vacancies in this recent bid, so new hires will have a chance at those spots. They were in YYC and I have no idea how they will be divided up, most likely a mix during each of the new courses until filled. I don't remember how many spots were left, I believe 12, so unless you're hired soon, then the odds are closer to zero.
Jazz will be flying Jets as long as it exist, don't listen to negative nelly(aka Stinky)

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

FlyPorter wrote:So if I've got this right, the Dash has the best lifestyle but the RJ and Q get to see a bigger variety?
As a new-hire, yes, your lifestyle will be better on the Dash.

aycarumba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aycarumba »

flyporter are you in may initial ground school?

FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

aycarumba wrote:flyporter are you in may initial ground school?

Nope, I'm just looking into applying to either them or Porter.

BTW, they don't post their minimums on their application website. Anyone have any idea what they are?
(I'm sure I fulfill them, but I just want to make sure)

Thanks,

-Maus

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

BTW, they don't post their minimums on their application website. Anyone have any idea what they are?

Thanks,

-Maus
Really? I doubt that. Anyone who has been working in the industry and has 1500+ hours would have a general idea of Jazz is looking for (along with other airlines across Canada)
if not, well then you've been living with your head in the sand!

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

I wanted to start a general thread regarding this. So here we go:

Joe is a recent graduate from Waterloo's (or Western's, or whoever's) university flight training program. He has about 250TT and whatever graduates come out from there with. He's chasing the big tin, and hes willing to work in the USA, Asia (includes India and Southeast Asia), UAE (and the rest of the developed Middle East), Europe and Australia.

All makes sense now. Sounds like you just graduated. All the best

FlyPorter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyPorter »

DH772 wrote:
I wanted to start a general thread regarding this. So here we go:

Joe is a recent graduate from Waterloo's (or Western's, or whoever's) university flight training program. He has about 250TT and whatever graduates come out from there with. He's chasing the big tin, and hes willing to work in the USA, Asia (includes India and Southeast Asia), UAE (and the rest of the developed Middle East), Europe and Australia.

All makes sense now. Sounds like you just graduated. All the best
First of all: I've never been named Joe.
Second: I'm far from a recent grad. And I'm not an aviation program grad.
Third: Who I am and how I much experience I have is none of your business.

EarlyInEarlyOut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EarlyInEarlyOut »

DH772 wrote:

Thanks,

-Maus
Really? I doubt that. Anyone who has been working in the industry and has 1500+ hours would have a general idea of Jazz is looking for (along with other airlines across Canada)
if not, well then you've been living with your head in the sand!
No need to harass the dude (or gal). But for everyone's sake, please answer the question.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”