Barkley-Grow

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Barkley-Grow

Post by Antique Pilot »

Here is a photo of Canadian Pacific Airlines Barkley-Grow CF-BTX that had some problems at Kawka/Porcupine Lake near Cache Creek in 1945. I took the photo in Sept 1981.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg (259.91 KiB) Viewed 27455 times
1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Barkley-Grow

Post by 1000 HP »

One of the pilots I worked for in Temiskamie Quebec had a picture of a Barkley Grow on floats that he flew way back. It actually had what looked like a "Belvedere" cigarette ad painted on the side. I never asked him about it because he spoke only French and I spoke only English. He was a great Chief though :rolleyes:

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

That would have been CF-BQM serial # 8. In the mid to late 1960's it was owned by Northland Airlines and operated out of various bases in Manitoba. In May of 1968 I had a flight in this aircraft with pilot Ralph Birch. BQM is in the Calgary Aerospace Museum.

11 Barkley-Grow aircraft were built in the mid 1930's. 7 came to Canada. They were built to compete with Beech 18's and Lockheed's but their fixed gear was a deterrent.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Feb 19, 2014

Antique Pilot - Your photos are outstanding. They are all excellent.

Some of the Barkley Grow aircraft that were operated in Canada.

CF-BVE was the prototype. Operated by Prairie Airways.
CF-BLV operated by Yukon Southern Air Transport.
CF-BMG operated by Yukon Southern Air Transport.
CF-BMW.
CF-BQM.
CF-BTX.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Thanks very much K, you were the incentive to get me started with the pics.

AP

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

So is BTX still sitting there?

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

No. I will PM you with what little info I have.

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

They were a handsome aircraft. I'm interested in what happened to BTX too.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

April 18, 2014

Found this photo on the web.

It is Barkley Grow CF-BTX when in operation with
Canadian Pacific Airlines.

The only information provided said it was taken at
Port Radium.

Photographer is not known.
Date taken is not known except that it was taken
prior to its accident in 1945.

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

Great shot Beech 18~!

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Beautiful!

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day Gents

Great photos. More please!

I did a bit of research a couple of years ago about Barkley-Grow T8P-1's operated by Canadian Pacific Airlines.

CF-BTX was built in 1940 (c/n 11). It was acquired from Mackenzie Air Services and registered with C.P. on the 2nd of December, 1943. It was given the Fleet Number 215. CF-BTX was damaged beyond repair at Lake Porcupine, Alberta on the 19th of October, 1945 as a result of an engine failure after take-off.

CF-BQM was built in 1941(Construction Number/Eight) It had served with Mackenzie Air Services prior to being purchased and registered to C. P. in 1942. Its fleet number was 211. The aircraft was sold to Associated Airways of Edmonton, Alberta on the 20th of March, 1950. It was later acquired by the Aero Space Museum in Calgary as a donation by Roy Staniland in 1979. It has since been restored. I remember seeing this aircraft still on floats parked beside Echo Bay's (?) hangar in Calgary back in 1982. The company had a sked with a 737 up to the Arctic in support of off shore oil rig operations.

CF-BVE was built in 1937 (c/n 1). This aircraft flew with Prairie Airways before being registered with C. P. on the 2nd of November,1942. It was sold to Mr. F. Ambrose of Long Island, New York in February, 1945. It is currently part of the collection at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskwin.

CF-BMG was built in 1939 (c/n 4). This was one of three of the type operated by Yukon Southern Air Transport. On the 5th of May, 1943, it was acquired by C.P. and given the Fleet Number 211. The aircraft was damaged beyond repair at Port Alberni, British Columbia on the 1st of February, 1957 after it overturned at its moorings.

CF-BMW was built in 1939 (c/n 6). The aircraft was initially operated by Yukon Southern Air Transport until brought on C.P.'s fleet 8th of January, 1943. The Fleet Number was 213. The aircraft was purchased by Mr. H. R. Peets of Edmonton on the 29th of November, 1949. It was badly damaged after it hit a sandbar after take-off

CF-BLV Known as the Yukon Queen, this aircraft was built in 1938 (c/n 3). Prior to joining C.P. on the 23rd of December, 1943 it was also operated by Yukon-Southern Air Transport. Its Fleet Number was 212. CF-BLV was purchased by Mr. H. R. Peets of Edmonton on the 29th of November, 1949. It was subsequently scrapped at Peace River, Alberta circa 1960. The aircraft now currently forms part of the collection of the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton.

Cheers...Chris

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Here is Barkley-Grow CF-BTX behind the Calgary Aerospace Museum about 15-20 years ago. And no I don't know where it is now.

Attachments
IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8609.JPG (133.59 KiB) Viewed 26095 times
frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

That is a very unusual structure inside the wing... I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Is it some kind of Barnes-Wallace-inspired geodetic thing?

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

I remember reading about the Barkley-Grow years ago. It provided a very strong structure with multiple load paths to provide redundancy in the event of failure. When they did the static testing, the wing failed at the landing light cut out.

I have a photo of my mother boarding one for her first flight form Grande Prairie.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Great stuff Fleet. Would like to see the photo you mentioned.

Yes the wing was a complicated truss system. Very strong but difficult to repair in the field. BQM received damage to a wing when it fell off jacks during maintenance. Northland Airlines had a spare wing from another wreck and used it rather than doing a repair.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Last time I was in YYC there was a barkley Grow inside, got lunch at timmy's when I properly identified it

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Here is a Barkley Grow at Prince Albert Sask. Pilot Collin Campbell sitting on the wing. In the background is Fleet Freighter CF-BJW. I figure this pic was taken in 1942 as that is the year that CPA leased the Fleet. Collin gave me several of his pics years ago after I got to know him when he was flying a C46 out of Winnipeg.

Attachments
IMG_8616.JPG
IMG_8616.JPG (96.93 KiB) Viewed 25984 times
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Its quite the story on how the barkley grows came to be and then progressed on to floats!

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

April 27, 2014

Antique Pilot

The information below was found on the web when I was looking for information on
the Fleet CF-BJW that is in the background of your photo with the Barkley Grow docked
in Prince Albert.

In a book by Larry Milberry, 1985, titled "Austin Airways Canada's Olderst Airline"
has a photograph of CF-BDX on page 53, described as the prototype Fleet Freighter.
Austin Airways did operate a Fleet 50K Freighter, CF-BJW, from May 12, 1945 till
Oct 6, 1946 when destroyed by fire.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”