Instructors: Stop Helping

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Instructors: Stop Helping

Post by iflyforpie »

5x5 wrote:
Old Dog Flying wrote:Is it any wonder that we Old Dogs are so critical of todays breed of instructors? Well this vieo tells it all.
Two thoughts -
1. It's nice to know there were never, ever any poor instructors in the "good old days."
2. What makes for many an "elder" (as discussed another thread) is the tendency to take one example and apply it to all.

Actually... one thing I've noticed is that it is typically 'older' flight instructors who behave like this.

These aren't the older instructors that started in their teens or 20s and have decades of experience behind them. No... these are instructors who started in their 40s and 50s... ...read every single book, every single editorial in Plane and Pilot, and bought all of the King Aviation VHS tapes... ...drove their Class 4, 3, 2, and 1s insane when getting their training... ...invented a ton of quirky ideas on their own... ..have an over active sense of mortality... and now are trying to pass on all of that knowledge and fear to an already saturated student.

Low time young instructors? Inexperienced and impatient yes..... ...but typically in no position to further confuse the student with tons of extraneous information and often without that sense of mortality that allows them to let situations develop so the student can exercise PDM.
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Actually... one thing I've noticed is that it is typically 'older' flight instructors who behave like this.

These aren't the older instructors that started in their teens or 20s and have decades of experience behind them. No... these are instructors who started in their 40s and 50s... ...read every single book, every single editorial in Plane and Pilot, and bought all of the King Aviation VHS tapes... ...drove their Class 4, 3, 2, and 1s insane when getting their training... ...invented a ton of quirky ideas on their own... ..have an over active sense of mortality... and now are trying to pass on all of that knowledge and fear to an already saturated student.
IFP, you hit the nail on the head. I've run into a lot of guys like that one in the video who exactly fit your description. The bad thing I find is that these guys can often decieve a student into thinking that they are a 40-50 year old instructor with decades of flying experience.

Last edited by Shiny Side Up on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Nervous IP's are not fun to fly with. Had one -- one flight only for a currency checkout -- who now happens to be a FO on a Lear or some thing -- might be an amazing pilot but horribly nervous IP. Couldn't wait to get out of the plane that time.

I was fortunate in my IFR training as my main IP rarely talked -- unless I asked -- and actually appeared to be sleeping (not really -- but that composed) while I repeatedly attempted to kill us both with my first few horrible under the hood approaches. Nerves of steel, some of these guys.

My primary IP, different guy, also very relaxed although with more suggestions occasionally, which is helpful when you have like under 10 hours and don't even know what you don't know.

Grateful as IP's like that give space for one to work things out and figure out our errors on our own, which results I think in better entrenched learning.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Oxi wrote:Came upon this on Reddit today... Back story is that the co-pilot/passenger/instructor comes along for flights while this PPL builds time. So many cringing moments in this video! Colonel Sanders care to take look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV7ggNJ2a0I

Peter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLXQbVmjzcE

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLXQbVmjzcE[/youtube]

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

The worst instructor I ever flew with was an older fellow. His favourite "teaching method" was to reach over and pull my hand off the yoke to see if the airplane was trimmed. After doing it a couple times on a previous flight I saw him trying again and just held on to the yoke tightly, so when he pulled my wrist up and back it made for some impromptu unusual attitude training.

You want to know if it's trimmed? Ask. We have these fancy headset thingies on, they let us talk to each other. You want to fly the airplane? Say so. Otherwise you sit there fat dumb and happy with your clipboard in your lap and your hands out of the way.

Return to “Flight Training”