2014 payrates

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 2014 payrates

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Stinky wrote:An 8 year Jazz FO is paid about $66 an hour and guaranteed 75 hours a month, that's $59400 a year.
Our guarantee is 80 per month, with anything over 85 hours paid at base rate x 1.5. On the DH8 I've been blocked at 82.5 for at least the past 6 months and usually end up with just shy of 90 after natural block growth due to weather and de-ice delays, etc. But if you're just simply looking at base pay for an 8 year Jazz F/O, it's $68 X 80 hrs/month X 12 months = $65,280. Add in per diems (for those who like to include that as income) and you're looking at $76,000 pre-tax. With our block hours as of late, it's almost $80,000. And if you include the Stock Purchase Plan and contribute to the max (assuming the stock doesn't crash), add another few grand to your pocket.

Just trying to set the facts straight.
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote:
Stinky wrote:An 8 year Jazz FO is paid about $66 an hour and guaranteed 75 hours a month, that's $59400 a year.
Our guarantee is 80 per month, with anything over 85 hours paid at base rate x 1.5. On the DH8 I've been blocked at 82.5 for at least the past 6 months and usually end up with just shy of 90 after natural block growth due to weather and de-ice delays, etc. But if you're just simply looking at base pay for an 8 year Jazz F/O, it's $68 X 80 hrs/month X 12 months = $65,280. Add in per diems (for those who like to include that as income) and you're looking at $76,000 pre-tax. With our block hours as of late, it's almost $80,000. And if you include the Stock Purchase Plan and contribute to the max (assuming the stock doesn't crash), add another few grand to your pocket.

Just trying to set the facts straight.
+benefits+pension+vacation days+best reserve rules in Canada+great work rules etc etc etc

That all adds up so you cannot JUST look at the salary.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
volez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by volez »

Granted,

But as much as I agree with all of you I do understand people leaving the company as it seems that there is nothing to look forward to in terms of career progression.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

I prefer healthy, undivorced, quality rearing family progression. :smt040

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

I prefer healthy, undivorced, quality rearing family progression. :smt040

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Had a beer with one of the first guys to flow up from Encore - nice fella.

He did 10 months on the Q.

2 years from now he'll be at $81.01 in the right seat based on the 2009 agreement. He's young and in time will make shwack of money even sitting in the right seat of the '37.

I think Encore is a great place to work if you are young and have eyes on WestJet for the long haul. It's just not that easy for somebody longer in the tooth with a family.

If WS was to tank tomorrow - I could not go work at AC because I wouldn't survive the short term pain despite the long term potential as I am becoming long in the tooth and have a family to support.

Like it or not - aviation has never done anybody any favours as we cannot take our seniority as we move laterally in the airline biz. It's been that way for about 70 years.

In the end - anybody joining Encore today will financially outpace anybody presently working at Jazz despite starting off 10% short on the hourly rates.

The 737 is not a carrot - it's a reality. Flow is not a carrot - it's a reality with a minimum rate of 25%. Oh, and the pilot group approved with overwhelming support of a single pilot list for Encore and WestJet based on date of hire - another piece of reality.

Good on the fine folks at Jazz who have carved out a nice life for themselves and their families. I'm glad to hear of your success in an industry that has been very difficult on families for so many over the years.

Good on the young guys who are getting on at Encore - you will do just fine.

As far as the rest for whom Encore is not a fit - I like the industry may not do any favours for you. This is nothing new so get used to it. Fortunately there are opportunities out there that pilots of my generation would have killed for.

Good luck to all.

JJJ

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So it goes like this: Go to Encore, make barely above poverty as an FO, upgrade to Captain after a year or 2. Go to year 1 Captain pay which is still pretty crappy. Finally get on to WJ after X number of years. Go to level 1 pay again. Make decent money after a few years in the right seat. Finally get a shot at that coveted left seat at WJ after 10 or more years and go to level 1 Captain pay again.

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

It is just another job ad for Encore. Biggest potential source of pilots in Canada is Jazz, so why not target them? Just sad that a WJ pilot has to be the spokesman for the offer.

et caveat emptor

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Does anyone here recommend somebody joining Jazz given the 2020 CPA deal that will come to an end? Is Jazz enough of a self-run company to support itself and the pay scales it presently has when that year comes? I'm not asking because I don't believe it will, simply because I don't have the facts on what you Jaazz employed pilots think about the situation.

I just heard a friend of a friend get hired at Jazz, and I'm just curious if it's a good career move for this individual in their 30's with about 3k hours combination of instructing, king air, transport category time? No MPIC.

Is the fact that Jazz is still running GRSC to fill attrition, or anticipated expansion?

Essentially, is it a good move going to Jazz today?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

You already scabbed over to flair recently for the greener pastures, why would you want to move to Jazz so quickly?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I'm not personally looking to move on.

The reason I ask is because of the discussion about the differences between Encore and Jazz. So what about if an individual was given an offer at Encore and Jazz at once. Besides all the talk about pay, benefits, flow, etc, are there any reasons somebody would be better off choosing Jazz given that there's no AC flying past 2020 as of today? As in, are there any ideas what happens to Jazz after 2020? Cause to most of us outsiders it appears as if most of you fine folks at Jazz will be looking for work come 2020. In which case it would make it a no brainer to go with Encore so that by year 2020 you're sitting in a 737, hopefully not looking for work.

But I'm going just based on hearsay that goes around the industry, hence why I was wondering if anyone here had facts on the matter.

Calin Robandfistyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Calin Robandfistyou »

Who is to say Encore will still be around in 2020? Lots can happen in the next 6 years, just look at all the change in the past 6. I don't know what the future holds for Jazz, but for now I would still consider it one of the best flying jobs in the country.

Obbie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Obbie »

Jazz is a leaking ship with a massive storm on it's horizon.

There will be casualties, all will not survive what is ahead.

Why on earth would you buy a ticket for this boat ?

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

That's right.....I think Obbie has all up to date and future (not yet revealed) information about Jazz's future, so in all fairness to him we should just wrap up this topic and move on to another discussion :roll:

ps. Jazz folks should be buying lifeboats asap, while they have them at Canadian Tire.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”