Fake pilot ads

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Fake pilot ads

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

azimuthaviation wrote: And that is what the TFW program is breeding. You may think its a coincidence, Im a little more pessimistic.
When it comes to politics and politicians, never attribute malice when mere incompetence will suffice to create the situation under discussion.
---------- ADS -----------

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
azimuthaviation wrote: And that is what the TFW program is breeding. You may think its a coincidence, Im a little more pessimistic.
When it comes to politics and politicians, never attribute malice when mere incompetence will suffice to create the situation under discussion.
Doubt it. This system is engineered and is working as they wanted it to. I dont think they could have a system break apart, fail miserably but the fallout working in their favour. No ones that lucky.

When it comes to manipulating people, they know exactly what theyre doing.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Someone took the huge .PDF file with all the 2013 LMO applications and made an index for it.

It's now here for all to see. Much easier to navigate now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 2May14.pdf

On every LMO aplication listed one can see the reasons or the rationale the employer put forward to hire a TFW instead of a Canadian pilot. These are a very interresting read that I encourage all to spend a little time on.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

This ad was posted exactly 4 weeks, the ESDC requirement to apply for TFW. It expires in two days.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobposting.do? ... rchresults
Job Posting
AIRLINE PILOT (PILOTS (SEASONAL, CONTRACT))

Etobicoke (ON)
Salary:
Hourly: min. $60 max. $215 for 20.0 hours per week
Job Number:
Anticipated Start Date:
2014-08-01
Source:
Job Bank
Terms of Employment:
Seasonal Full-Time
Number of positions:
Employment Conditions
Overtime,Weekend,Day,Night,Evening
EMPLOYER DETAILS
Employer:
Sunwing Vacations and Signature Vacations
JOB REQUIREMENTS
Languages
English
Education
Some college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
Airline Pilot Transport Licence - fixed wing
Experience
3 years to less than 5 years
Type of Flying
Commercial aviation
Pilot Specific Skills
Co-pilot aircraft and act as captain if required
Security and Safety
Confidential security clearance; Criminal record check
Transportation/Travel Information
Own transportation; Willing to travel regularly; Willing to travel cross-border; Willing to travel for extended periods; Willing to travel internationally
Work Site Environment
At heights; Confined spaces; Noisy; Non-smoking
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Attention to detail; Sitting
Essential Skills
Reading text; Document use; Numeracy; Writing; Communication; Working with others; Problem solving; Decision making; Critical thinking; Job task planning and organizing; Significant use of memory; Finding information; Continuous learning
Other Information
80-90 credit hrs per mth. Current rated B737NG 3000 hrs total time. Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License & valid Aviation Medical. No violations in last 3 yrs. Legally entitled to work in Canada.
HOW TO APPLY

By e-mail:
hr@sunwing.ca
Date Posted:
2014-05-09
Advertised until:
2014-06-05
This means that the lowest one can get paid is $5200 per month, so the equivalent of $62400 per year.

How much does a Jr Travel Service First Officer earn ?

660 Euros per month the first 18 months and then 1200 Euros per month.

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Travel_Service
Capt top EUR 4500,- 15/Dec/13
Capt base EUR 1700,-
15/Dec/13
FO top EUR 3200,- 15/Dec/13
FO base EUR 1200,- (Junior FO's salary for first 18 months EUR 660 EUR) 15/Dec/13
SO top
Bases For Travel Service Pilot Jobs (including restrictions for recent pilot school graduates)

Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, Warsaw, Paris CDG, Zurich, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Karachi - Pakistan, Muscat - Oman
Canadian law states that TFW cannot earn less than the Canadians they are replacing.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_ ... html#wages
If you are offering wages below rates paid to Canadians in the same occupation and region, ESDC/Service Canada will not issue a positive LMO in response to your request to hire a foreign worker.
But who is checking ?

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

More inaccurate posts and lies from Gilles. Interviews are on going right now.
Like I've said before think for yourselves, don't believe everything this guy writes. His personal agenda will not allow him to post fair and truthful information.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

I know at least 5 pilots who applied for Sunwing, +3000 hrs and a very experienced pilot interrested with seasonal work. Will be interresting to know the output. So far none of them heard nothing from Sunwing.

Maybe they should get a Euro licence and 737 training in Europe in order to get a job in Canada.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

You know that Sunwing is running two recruitment ads in parallel. One is for seasonal Canadian pilots where type rating is not required. They will hire 40 to 50 such pilots, including those, if any come back, who were hired and trained seasonally last year and let go this spring. This is to satisfy the ESDC requirement that an employer must demonstrate that it has made a reasonable effort to hire and train Canadians before it can apply for TFW. So those who will be hired and trained will be part of that "reasonable effort".

Then the other ad, the one depicted above is for 120 type rated pilots. This is the ad, they post to pretend that they are attempting to hire qualified Canadians. The type rating is there to exclude Canadians and justify hiring 120 type rated TFW workers instead of Canadians. Although they let go some seasonal Canadian pilots that they had already trained last winter in order to save the expense of their salaries, and that they will wait until August to begin hiring and training their seasonal pilots, they will claim that they do not have the time nor the training resources to hire and train those 120 pilots and that it would not be "cost effective" to hire and train 120 Canadian pilots for what just constitutes "seasonal work".

If ESDC balks at approving those 120 TFW, Sunwing, which is already selling seats and packages on those aircraft that they plan to crew with TFW pilots next winter, will threaten to file bankruptcy and put the jobs of all its Canadian workers at risk if the TFW are not approved (not to mention all those poor Sunwing customers who will lose their hard earned money they paid to Sunwing for the privilege of flying South on TFW-crewed aircraft). Will ESDC blink again this year ? We will soon know.

In parallel to those 120 TFW, Sunwing will probably also apply to the CTA for about 6 foreign wet leases, which will come with about 85 foreign pilots.

So next winter, expect Sunwing to have again have over 200 foreign pilots flying B737NGs in Canada.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

More lies and conjecture from Gilles to support his anti SW position. None of it is factual or based on any solid information. He doesn't work there, therefore everything he says is speculation and assumption. Even ALPA and Transat don't support him because of all his lies and misinformation passed off as fact. Because Gilles says something doesn't make it fact or TRUTH. Think...

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Rather than a shotgun attack on Gilles's
character, could you instead dispute
what he states, with your own facts,
documenting their origin?

N.B. I have no dog in this fight.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Rogerdodger2 wrote:More lies and conjecture from Gilles to support his anti SW position. None of it is factual or based on any solid information. He doesn't work there, therefore everything he says is speculation and assumption. Even ALPA and Transat don't support him because of all his lies and misinformation passed off as fact. Because Gilles says something doesn't make it fact or TRUTH. Think...
How many TFWP is Sunwing planning to get for 2014-2015 season?
Admitting it is 200, that is a lot of 737 trainings they won't have to pay or share cost with an other European company.
737 rating is like what +30k? G (30x200= 6M) That's a bunch of tickets you can sell cheaper and pissoff everyone around.

Just by that it is not fair competition. The Sunwing business plan is not fair for any company aiming to have Canadian pilot jobs all year long.

I think if Sunwing would be playing by the rules it would just make everyone happy. Now so far I checked out G's documentation and it makes sense to me Sunwing isn't justified to have TFP using the actual law.

Canadian pilots won't be allowed in Europe in 2 years without Euro ATPL, there is no equity, just a short business plan for SW.

I agree with Colonel.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

timel wrote:
Canadian pilots won't be allowed in Europe in 2 years without Euro ATPL, there is no equity, just a short business plan for SW.
Just a few minor corrections.

Canadian licensed pilots are presently not allowed to fly European registered aircraft commercially.
That is why Sunwing had been sending wet-leases to Europe these past years, to by-pass that restriction.
Then the Europeans decided that even if a foreign Carriers did wet-leases for a European carrier based in Europe, the foreign pilots would still need a European licence, to fly their own aircraft. That came into effect in Sept 2012.
Sunwing has succeeded in obtaining waivers from the Europeans, using the same kind of arguments they used to obtain the LMOs here in Canada. That 2 year you mention refers to the extension Sunwing obtained and this summer is the second year.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

timel wrote: +3000 hrs and a very experienced pilot.
That's an interesting comment in itself.
I've personally got nearly twice as much experience yet I would consider myself as "inexperienced" compared to some of the guys I fly the line along side with.

As for this whole TFW debate, I wouldn't want to work for a company that has no respect for its employees.

Guess I'd rather not shit where I eat! Your "friends" and you may differ. To each his or her own I suppose...

Best Regards,
TPC

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

TeePeeCreeper wrote:
timel wrote: +3000 hrs and a very experienced pilot.
That's an interesting comment in itself.
I've personally got nearly twice as much experience yet I would consider myself as "inexperienced" compared to some of the guys I fly the line along side with.

As for this whole TFW debate, I wouldn't want to work for a company that has no respect for its employees.

Guess I'd rather not shit where I eat! Your "friends" and you may differ. To each his or her own I suppose...

Best Regards,
TPC
... and a very experienced pilot.

Agree + 3000 hrs doesn't mean automaticaly experience depending what you do where you work and what you fly. So to rephrase myself I'll say they meet SW interview requierments.

Agreed I wouldn't apply either, still won't stop me from having a beer with my "friends" and let them know about my opinions and sure will receive theirs... Friends don't always agree.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

timel wrote:
... and a very experienced pilot.

Agree + 3000 hrs doesn't mean automaticaly experience depending what you do where you work and what you fly. So to rephrase myself I'll say they meet SW interview requierments.

Agreed I wouldn't apply either, still won't stop me from having a beer with my "friends" and let them know about my opinions and sure will receive theirs... Friends don't always agree.
I agree completely! We're on the same page. :)

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

This in the helicopter field:

http://forums.verticalmag.com/index.php?showtopic=22148
Phoenix Heli-Flight has been operating from our Fort McMurray Base for more than 25 years supporting Oilsands related projects and ensuring the people in the region have access to air medical transport services. In December 2012 Phoenix Heli-Flight committed to the acquisition of a 24 hour a day, seven day a week, EC 135 emergency services helicopter. Day operations commenced July 2013 with Night operations becoming fully approved in December 2013.

Phoenix Heli-Flight crews are on Standby 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Flight crews are full-time employees and work rotating 3 weeks on/3 weeks off schedules both day and night shifts.

Phoenix Heli-Flight is one of the few commercial operators in Canada utilizing Night Vision Goggle Technologies and has been an industry leader in the implementation of new technologies to enhance pilot awareness and improve safe flight operations. Night Vision Goggles dramatically increase the safety of night operations allowing us to see obstacles and avoid terrain.

Flight Crew Qualification:

Possess a Canadian Helicopter ATPL
Possess a Canadian Group IV Instrument Rating
Require a minimum of 4000 helicopter flying hours
Require a minimum of 500 night and IFR experience
Require a minimum of 1500 multi engine helicopter experience
Require a minimum of 750 hours helicopter flight training experience
Require a Canadian EC 135 type endorsement

A Criminal Record Check is a requirement for this position

Successfully screened applicants will be flown to our base for further interviews and flight testing.

Contact me by email.

d.peters@phoenixheliflight.com

Thank you

Darrel Peters, C.P.
Does it require 750 hours of Helicopter Flight Training experience to fly such a Helicopter or was this inserted into the job requirements because the TFW candidate they intend to hire happens to have that experience ?

This ad requires an EC 135 endorsement. There are only 6 EC 135s registered in Canada. It's not like there are dozens of potential candidates out there.

This is again an ad that seems custom written to exclude a Canadian in favor of a TFW.

This company has hired TFW in the past. Let's hope this job will this time be filled by a qualified Canadian.

Elmo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Elmo »

Foreign Pilots in Canada
In recent years, concerns have been raised that some airlines are excluding Canadian pilots from seasonal jobs by requiring job applicants to already be trained on specific types of planes (type‑rating) before they are hired, which is counter to general industry standards of airlines paying for and ensuring pilots obtain their training on the specific airline’s planes after they have been hired.

The Government of Canada consulted widely on this issue, and most stakeholders agreed that seasonal variations in fleet capacity should not stop airlines from training pilots for specific aircraft. It was noted that many airlines successfully contract flight time, pilot training and other training elements, such as flight simulator time, with other airlines or with aircraft manufacturers in order to meet their training requirements. There was a consensus that there is no shortage of Canadian commercial pilots who could be trained to fly specific types of aircraft.

Based on stakeholder consultations, the following changes are being made for airlines requesting foreign pilots through the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process.

Effective July 1, 2014, airlines must:

· meet the minimum advertising requirements for high-wage occupations;
· specify the following criteria in their job postings:
o no more than a maximum of 4,000 flight hours for a First Officer and 5,000 hours for a Captain as required experience;
o possess a valid commercial pilots' licence;
o require English and/or French language proficiency;
o include industry standard medical testing requirements for commercial flight;
o state both the legal and common names of the airline operating in Canada;
· not include as an essential or asset requirement the necessity of holding a type rating for a specific type of aircraft. However, requiring applicants to have experience flying equipment that is similar in configuration and complexity to the airline’s fleet is considered acceptable;
· indicate when training bonds will be applied and they must cover a minimum of two years employment;
· negotiate a transition plan with ESDC documenting the airline’s future efforts and commitment to decrease the reliance on foreign pilots while increasing its complement of Canadian/permanent resident pilots. The transition plan will be reviewed by ESDC for progress and can affect the outcome of future LMIA applications; and
· submit LMIA applications a minimum of three months before the first day of work to ensure Service Canada officers can thoroughly review the application. Any exception to this timeline must be requested prior to the LMIA being submitted.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Elmo,
Do you have a link to the source for this information? As well, while there are some hints of improvement, why is there still no accountability required for the recruitment process? There is still no means to prevent an operator from ignoring respondents and claiming to HRDC that no suitable applicants were found. As well, this does not in any way address non-airline TFW... is there more information?
Thanks!
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

CYOX
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYOX »

This is absolutely preposterous, I am sitting in Dubai with all my Canadian pilot friends organizing a Canada day celebration for about 400 of us, foriegn pilots working in Canada really pisses me off. :smt040

There is more to this story than meets the eye, Gilles is doing a great job of spooling you all up though.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

CYOX wrote:This is absolutely preposterous, I am sitting in Dubai with all my Canadian pilot friends organizing a Canada day celebration for about 400 of us, foriegn pilots working in Canada really pisses me off. :smt040

There is more to this story than meets the eye, Gilles is doing a great job of spooling you all up though.
Could 400 hundred UAE pilots take your seats? Sure they will if they can give the job to insiders. You fly in Dubai because they need you and provide good conditions to have you. Or maybe UAE pilots are more expensive than you are? That's why you are being contracted?

Canada doesn't need or has very particular temporarily needs of TFWP because there are plenty qualified pilots to take the jobs.

Your situation vs a "temporary" foreign worker is not to be compared IMO.

Return to “General Comments”