Ok kids...

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Ok kids...

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Seriously. Listen up. "Good at video games" is not a qualification to put on a resume. Thankfully it wasn't a pilot's resume, but still.

Also, don't use Mom as a reference.
---------- ADS -----------
 
We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I knew I should have been more specific and wrote, "Excellent at Lego Star Wars. Particularly the flyin parts."
---------- ADS -----------
 
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

For today's young males writing "good at video games" on your resume, is like writing "good at breathing"; it is a given.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Ok kids...

Post by iflyforpie »

Considering the rapidly increasing popularity of drones... and the fact that airliner and fighter pilots get checked out on simulators... I'm surprised it's not more relevant than having 'people skills', being a 'self starter', or other BS skill that makes fat HR ladies happy.... :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Either way, if the kids want a job, they should put stuff like "Master level broom operator" or "Fully qualified soap bucket technician". Lord knows I had lots of experience doing those when I was their age.
---------- ADS -----------
 
We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Next you guys will want me to remove. "Highly motivated to excel in a fast pace dynamic environment!"
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4113
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Near CNJ4 Orillia, Ontario

Re: Ok kids...

Post by PilotDAR »

It can be hard to know what to right in your resume, particularly when it's slim pickings at the beginning of you career. I just submitted my first resume ever (and I'm 53) yesterday, to an organization I already work for, just to move up a rank. I had my wife help me right it - she is a college professor of that sort of thing.

But yes, aspiring job applicants, apply for the job, but assure you highlight your skill and eagerness for the job you know the employer needs done (there are many filthy planes, and dust hangar floors out there) the left seat, corner office job will come in time....
---------- ADS -----------
 
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 6326
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Ok kids...

Post by ahramin »

Write, the word is spelled write :D.
---------- ADS -----------
 
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 11306
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Hangry and crankypated

Re: Ok kids...

Post by photofly »

I had my wife help me right it - she is a college professor of that sort of thing.
Does she help with your AvCanada posts? If so, which college? Truth will out.
---------- ADS -----------
 
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Spell cheque sucks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by dirtysidedown »

PilotDAR wrote:It can be hard to know what to right in your resume, particularly when it's slim pickings at the beginning of you career. I just submitted my first resume ever (and I'm 53) yesterday, to an organization I already work for, just to move up a rank. I had my wife help me right it - she is a college professor of that sort of thing.
Geeze, if this is the issue of getting into aviation, I sure hope my 8+ years in training developement and governmet work gets me a little higher in the interview order.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I hate to interrupt what has an excellent potential for a dog pile on DAR but it really emphasizes the original point. Have someone that's going to pick it apart without tossing it or pinning it to the bulletin board of the company you wanted to apply at first before you send it out.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: The Okanagan

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Schooner69A »

"Write, the word is spelled write :D"

Nope, I think pilotDAR had it correct at the outset. Like most wives, his lady instinctively knew that there was something off kilter with it and she set out to "right" it. And who's going to tell her it was perfectly OK the way it was? After 49 years of marriage, not me! (;>0)
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4113
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Near CNJ4 Orillia, Ontario

Re: Ok kids...

Post by PilotDAR »

"Write, the word is spelled write :D"
My bad. (twice, I notice now :oops: ) Happily, I'm not applying for a job here!

I bounce the occasional landing too....
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am
Location: Clear of the Active.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Rookie50 »

PilotDAR wrote:
"Write, the word is spelled write :D"
My bad. (twice, I notice now :oops: ) Happily, I'm not applying for a job here!

I bounce the occasional landing too....
Thought I was the only one who ever did that. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by dirtysidedown »

PilotDAR wrote:I bounce the occasional landing too....
Amateurs... I have been flying for just over a year now and I believe I am the best pilot out there. jk.
---------- ADS -----------
 
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8321
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by pelmet »

When I stated to a potential employer that my hobbies are golf, masturbation and strangling small animals; I was told that I didn't fit in with what they were looking for as "I'm afraid that golf is not very popular around here".
---------- ADS -----------
 
halfmilevis
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 am
Location: In Position

Re: Ok kids...

Post by halfmilevis »

Once had a guy put his Microsoft Flight Sim hours on his resume... It was also for a ground position (Charter coordinator), but silly to say the least...

HMV
---------- ADS -----------
 
Courage is facing the challenge with a healthy fear, not being fearless - Les Stroud
Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Docbrad »

Is here somewhere or someone I can send my resume to and get it quickly looked over? Just for the "you're dumb if you leave this one" or "why don't you mention this about your past"

There are approximately a zillion resume resources out there, but very few aviation oriented. Mine is based largely off of the one thread we have on Av Can about resumes. Would like to hear other opinions
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Over Macho Grande

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Not rocket science:

One page.
No cloud paper.
No spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Address it to the correct person (not the last CP).
In the first few lines, list your hours and quals.
Relevant experience only - don't list grade 8 track + field ribbons.

As time goes by, you will learn to alter your
resume for a particular employer, to mention
relevant experience to his ops.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Not rocket science:

One page.
No cloud paper.
No spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
Address it to the correct person (not the last CP).
In the first few lines, list your hours and quals.
Relevant experience only - don't list grade 8 track + field ribbons.

As time goes by, you will learn to alter your
resume for a particular employer, to mention
relevant experience to his ops.
Yup that pretty much covers it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Pop n Fresh »

No cloud paper? I'm glad I never finished CPL. If cloud paper is wrong I don't wanna be right.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by Docbrad »

Okay, thanks for clearing it up!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Ok kids...

Post by dirtysidedown »

Colonel Sanders wrote: No cloud paper.
Sooooo. You're telling me that I shouldn't put a photo of an aircraft sailing into the sunset as a background photo in the bottom left corner of my cv?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Sidney, BC
Contact:

Re: Ok kids...

Post by AirFrame »

Docbrad wrote:Is here somewhere or someone I can send my resume to and get it quickly looked over? Just for the "you're dumb if you leave this one" or "why don't you mention this about your past"
Post it here. I guarantee you'll get feedback.

Some of it will be useful.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”