300NM

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Che
Rank 0
Rank 0

300NM

Post by Che »

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to plan my 300NM from Toronto area. One route I'm leaning towards is:
Toronto area-CNR4 (Tobermory) -CYEL (Elliot Lake) -CYXZ (Wawa). I've heard Elliot Lake airport float planes transit through all the time but not on frequency and that Wawa could get busy with fire crews during the summer months. If anyone has experience/advice or comments with these two airports or the route in general it would be greatly appreciated!! :)
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: 300NM

Post by North Shore »

One of my greatest regrets from my build-up period is that I didn't do more visiting places. This is the only time in your commercial career that you'll have an aeroplane at your leisure. DON'T just do the minimum, for Pete's sake! Keep on going to TBay, and then go down south, and continue around the lakes. You'll learn a thousand times more about flight planning, confidence in your decision-making, weather, route planning, etc..by getting out of your comfort zone in Southern Ontario, and heading off to see a larger corner of the world..

Have fun!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Wawa is a pretty peacefull place. Not much firefighting seen lately. Go there once in a while for transport.
You can walk to a motel or to a restaurant, the city is 7 minutes walk or call Cookie Cab :D
Not much happening there, depends on what you are looking for.

I agree, since you are paying for an aircraft take the most you can out of it and go off your comfort zone.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

What North Shore said. Pick a place and head a few air fields past it. East coast for lobster? If you can go stateside do it. The experience will be a lot more rewarding. If you can go with someone who is also building hours, you can cover a lot more ground. Why not hit one of the southern states? Gumbo in Nawlings?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

+1 Northshore.

If I could do it again, I'd fly into Northern Quebec, across the territories, Holman (I can't remember the Inuvialuit name), Inuvik, south through Alaska/Yukon, down the west coast, perhaps into the US, then head east. It would take at least a month, but you will be learning about every bit of territory you'll be flying in, learning real PDM, and learning a lot more about what it's like to be a CPL than flying around the patch + 300 NM XC

Che
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Che »

Thank you all for the great replies, and help. I greatly appreciate the advise and it's made me think maybe it is best for me to get completely out of my comfort zone!!

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Have you considered taking some one with you who also needs their 300nm? My son-in-law and I did our's together. He flew the 300nm outbound and I flew back. We split the cost.

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AWOS »

I couldn't agree with Northshore more. Your commercial time building is the only time in your career where you can justify spending the money to fly anywhere you want.
I worked at a flight school for a few years and one of the things that annoyed me most would be the people who just wanted to reach the minimum and then move on; doing the same 45 minute cross country every day, flying to a destination 301 miles away for their 300, not using their night rating, etc.

I suggest you find other people at your school who are also building hours and share trips with them. Try going down to The States or places you've never been before.
I fellow student and I went to Mount Rushmore for our "300nm". I later flew down to California to build another 30 hours. In all, I probably visited about four provinces and 14 States during my time building. You'd be amazed how much more you can learn, see and experience in 1000 miles than 300.

Don't waste your time.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I went east to Quebec City with the proper stops - overnighted in QC with my girlfriend. QC in the fall is awesome. Great food, great hospitality, great sights.

Like some guys say, don't do the minimum. Go have some fun.

S.

Che
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Che »

I have thought about bring someone with me and I am going to do that.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Add me to the column in favor of picking somewhere interesting to go and enjoying the trip. I still have fond memories of trips I took way back when. It will count wether you make it fun or a chore.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Ok, I laughed pretty loud at the ninja edit addition of who she is.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

Pop n Fresh wrote:Add me to the column in favor of picking somewhere interesting to go and enjoying the trip. I still have fond memories of trips I took way back when. It will count wether you make it fun or a chore.
Doesn't even have to be anywhere that seems interesting at first.

Of all the places I have visited in my limited aviation travels, it has always been the unexpected stop/delays that I have enjoyed the most. Mcqueston, Yukon..... Great falls, BC... both were diversions for weather and both awesome stops...

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

dirtdr wrote: Doesn't even have to be anywhere that seems interesting at first.

Of all the places I have visited in my limited aviation travels, it has always been the unexpected stop/delays that I have enjoyed the most. Mcqueston, Yukon..... Great falls, BC... both were diversions for weather and both awesome stops...
Crawfordsville, Indiana! Never knew about General Lew Wallace or his library before I diverted there. Pretty cool little town near Indianapolis. Highly recommend a visit.

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

On that note; can anybody tell me which is the 'best' airport in the Montreal area to pick up a Passenger and park the plane (C172) for a few hours?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, fly as far as you can. Consider: Toronto area, to Ottawa, north up the river, Pembroke, then across to North Bay, Killarney, the north shore, and to Sault St Marie. I did this one day in my 150, for business. Then onward to Wawa, and on.

This morning, I flew my Ontario based Teal over an iceberg off northern Labrador - my summer cross country treat to myself this year!

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

PilotDAR wrote:Yes, fly as far as you can. Consider: Toronto area, to Ottawa, north up the river, Pembroke, then across to North Bay, Killarney, the north shore, and to Sault St Marie. I did this one day in my 150, for business. Then onward to Wawa, and on.

This morning, I flew my Ontario based Teal over an iceberg off northern Labrador - my summer cross country treat to myself this year!
+1. This morning I flew my plane from Vancouver up Howe sound to pemberton, back down via harrison lake. Pinching myself the whole way, so spectacular.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

What North Shore said: screw the 300 nm! I went from YYZ to Nassau, and hopped around the Bahamas for two weeks.....in a 150!
You're going to need the time anyway....have fun getting it. It'll be the last time you get to just "piss off" in an airplane with no restrictions!
Way too many young pilots follow the 400 series highways 300 miles, and call it a day. Do not do this!
ENJOY
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Pop n Fresh wrote:Ok, I laughed pretty loud at the ninja edit addition of who she is.
Had to go to Urban Dictionary to learn what a ninja edit is.. learned something today, even though I still missed the joke part of it.
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Way too many young pilots follow the 400 series highways 300 miles, and call it a day.
I don't really understand it, but I'm sure there's a subset of aspiring commercial pilots out there who would do their x-countries in a sim if they could get away with it.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

GyvAir wrote: I don't really understand it, but I'm sure there's a subset of aspiring commercial pilots out there who would do their x-countries in a sim if they could get away with it.
Don't forget to sign on sweeping the FTU hangar floors for at least a week before your trip to get the true flavour of working for a modern day Canadian commercial operation.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

Return to “General Comments”