Conflicts Please Advise

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Conflicts Please Advise

Post by ragequit »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ragequit on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonReynolds
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RonReynolds »

ragequit wrote:
Tailwind W10 wrote:I heard a new one a couple of days ago. Flying Wetaskiwin - Camrose I heard someone on 126.7 end his position report with "... Conflicts (registration) (location)". He didn't use the whole phrase, just the word. It sounded like he was just too damn lazy to say the whole thing. Maybe he'll start a whole new annoying trend.

Gerry

I hear this all the time in Glen Valley.

In fact, just this afternoon I heard Air 1, the RCMP helicopter, do it as they transited though. Good God.
Sorry, I'm unsure what you are saying here... Air 1's call was

"conflicts - Air 1 - Glen Valley"

is that correct ?

Ron Reynolds
CFI,PE - SkyQuest Aviation Ltd.
Langley,BC (CYNJ)
MattW
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MattW »

It's sure not what we're taught where I'm getting instructed. We're told to get it done in the fewest possible words with the fewest possible calls.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

MattW wrote:It's sure not what we're taught where I'm getting instructed. We're told to get it done in the fewest possible words with the fewest possible calls.
It depends on individual instructors. You can have two instructors working at the same FTU, one would teach to make the calls as short as possible, the other would make elaborate calls on each leg in the circuit, and ACTPA every 5 minutes in the practice area.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I just had a PPL student come back from his solo cross country and he came to me quite excited to tell me about how he heard someone say ACTPA at the end of the radio call and how he thought it was quite cool. I was flabbergasted because
1. I had taught him how to make simple radio calls..
2. I realised I forgot to mention to him to keep it short and simple, but thought it was intended with what I taught him..
3. He found it "cool" and was going to implement it in his radio call..

I spent the next 30 minutes explaining it to him how it was a waste of precious radio bandwidth and that he ought to refrain from using it. After all sitting through the whole 30 minute lecture, he just said he was going to use it because it sounded "cool" and that he paid attention to the radio call just because the clown at the other end said those "cool" words. I nearly fainted. Then I decided to use my ultimate weapon. I said he dare not use it whilst under my tutelage. He could do whatever he cared to do with his own license and in his own airplane when the time came to it. That was the only thing that could finally get him to promise (albeit temporarily) to not use the ACTPA radio phraseology.

I guess it's the iSheep mentality? He does it, it's cool and so I will do it too... </End_of_rant>

Maybe I should keep my holier_than_thou lectures to myself and resort to threatening from the start! :rolleyes:

FAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FAF »

I totally love the "looking for". Bravo Echo Delta holding short or runway 31 to take position for a short delay takeoff looking for traffic, any conflicts please advise. Then after 10 seconds, Bravo Echo Delta taking position for a short delay takeoff, departing to the west will be climbing for 2500 shortly after departure, looking for any conflicts and traffic advisory in the area. Then after taking position, Bravo Echo Delta taking off of runway 31 for a westbound departure at 2500 enroute to Babbleville Talkstoomuch looking for traffic. It goes on after takeoff but truth is I'm getting annoyed because I can hear the call in my head. Personally I like the Bravo Echo Delta holding short 31 for departure to the west to replace all of the above. Thoughts?

VFR and you feel the need to be Looking For? What did you think Visual Flight Rules meant?

The other one I've never got is wheels down in x minutes. Personally I just want to know when you'll be in the area.

I'm sure there's many more look forward to seeing more.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

What is worse, is reading stupid ass threads like this or better yet , listening to speeches about "how it should be", which then of course leads to some poor kid talking for 2 minutes being as "detailed as possible" during a pos report because his/her anal retentive 300hr wonder FI told him/her to. " But, i once read this thread on Av......"

I don't know, but I definitely want to know where I can reach someone if I am .... " conflicting" ? Get a life. You have a CPL with maybe a FIR, or hell, maybe you're lucky enough to have 50,000 hours and an ATPL . Could care less.

Conflicting 26.7 or ___insert freq here_____ . Why are you people obsessed with the word conflicting? AC entering the zone at the same time as I? Anyone else out there? Amelia Earhart...

The additional 1.5 seconds it takes to spit this out IMO, can not , in any way shape or form, allow you to frame an illogical frivolous argument for or against. Your points are so utterly trivial that it makes me give up all hope for humanity.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Thanks Gravol, you made me laugh heartily as I pictured you typing your rant. The reason I laughed is that I'm sure you didn't do it while looking in a mirror, but I envisioned it that way and found the irony hugely enjoyable.

Thanks again.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

SSU - you actually made me smile - that is so familiar! In the cockpit it makes me cringe, but here on the ground I get to shake my head and smile. I especially enjoy the repetition of the full call sign after the painful "any conflicting traffic please advise".

I like to imagine some pilot giggling maniacally after I give my call without the "any traffic please advise" and saying to himself "Hahaha - I'm on a conflicting course with this aircraft, but I'm not going to say anything - I'll kill us all because you didn't tell me to please advise"!

It's not Simon-says - you can tell someone you're about to crash into them even if they didn't say "please advise" :)

FAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FAF »

Gravol wrote:What is worse, is reading stupid ass threads like this or better yet , listening to speeches about "how it should be", which then of course leads to some poor kid talking for 2 minutes being as "detailed as possible" during a pos report because his/her anal retentive 300hr wonder FI told him/her to. " But, i once read this thread on Av......"

I don't know, but I definitely want to know where I can reach someone if I am .... " conflicting" ? Get a life. You have a CPL with maybe a FIR, or hell, maybe you're lucky enough to have 50,000 hours and an ATPL . Could care less.

Conflicting 26.7 or ___insert freq here_____ . Why are you people obsessed with the word conflicting? AC entering the zone at the same time as I? Anyone else out there? Amelia Earhart...

The additional 1.5 seconds it takes to spit this out IMO, can not , in any way shape or form, allow you to frame an illogical frivolous argument for or against. Your points are so utterly trivial that it makes me give up all hope for humanity.
Keep thinking this thread is a rant, get on a congested frequency when there is a plane close to you while some continues to hold the PTT when you have an actual use for it, then come back, I'll pour you a coffee.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

Pause.

Go get a life

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

He would,

however he is worried about having a collision between all of the conflicting traffic that did not advise..

;)

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Less is more, but doesn't mean zero.

Of course in a crowded circuit, (always around here on a nice day) try folks to call at least established base and final when others are right about to join the circuit...didn't happen the other day and I'm looking to confirm position on someone.

stol701
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stol701 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Recently I taught someone to land a Pitts, which
So, when dinglenuts tears me a new one
for not mentioning the airport in my radio
calls, I will politely ask him if he has a
runway 06 at his distant airport.
But this also means all people at your airport need to know that there are no other airports with runway 6... No? What if I am a new pilot on your field and now you are just adding to my brain work and making me think too much when I am already at my limits.

I feel that to be snobbishly brief is not wise. It may be objectively better and all that but we are still human so being objectively more efficient is not the only thing that matters.

Also, being efficient is not the same as being effective. And in communication effectiveness is more important than efficiency. (Efficiency is important too)

Return to “Flight Training”