CNE Airshow viewing locations?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

CNE Airshow viewing locations?

Post by jet a1 »

I've gone for years and always sat in the grandstand south of lakeshore. Anyone have a better spot?
---------- ADS -----------

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: CNE Airshow viewing locations?

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Can't beat watching it from the water!

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Typically the display traffics come in over the Island airport. The WWII warbirds and smaller aircraft takeoff from there.

Hanlan's Pt. beach (family alert -- nude and gay sections) may have a good view.

The North jetty of the Western Gap gets you almost within spitting distance of Ontario Place and gives you a good view of taxiing warbirds.

I once paddled in from the Humber and Queensway inside the breakwaters. Not many spots in downtown Toronto to put in a canoe without getting a parking ticket.

If you like watching the big stuff and fast jets takeoff and land, the active threshold at Pearson is good. An airband receiver helps.

no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

Thanks for the tips!

Man, the line-up (http://cias.org/performers/) is looking a little...thinner than previous years. Not a shot at organizers or performers; just an observation. I still love going and I get that it is becoming increasingly difficult to put these shows on but wouldn't a three day airshow in Toronto at the CNE have the revenue to go big? Or was that the mistake in the past? Or is it still due to the budget limitations of the USAF?

tiggermoth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiggermoth »

Man, the line-up (http://cias.org/performers/) is looking a little...thinner than previous years. Not a shot at organizers or performers; just an observation. I still love going and I get that it is becoming increasingly difficult to put these shows on but wouldn't a three day airshow in Toronto at the CNE have the revenue to go big? Or was that the mistake in the past? Or is it still due to the budget limitations of the USAF?

The highlighted part above is probably the largest reason.

Abbotsford Airshow is suffering the same issues. I went out there this year, and although there was a fantastic lineup of civilian and warbird performers, the military was seriously lacking. The Snowbirds, CF-18, CP-140 and Skyhawks. That was it. Beechcraft brought their factory demo T-6 Harvard (Texan) II demo, which sort of fits in the military category.

As far as static displays, the military consisted of a RCAF Harvard II, Hawk trainer, Buffalo, CP-140, Cormorant, and a new little Grob Trainer. The entire remaining static display was homebuilt and general aviation aircraft, and was only on Runway 01/19. In years past the static display has consisted of a whole line of heavy iron on runway 01/19 and the 'center spoke' of the taxiways plum full of fighters.

I wasn't too upset because I went for the warbirds, especially to see the Mosquito fly, but for the general crowd who goes to see the fast jets and heavy iron......nothing to see. And their is nothing that the airshow organizers can do about it. With the US and even Canadian governments in 'cutback' mode, the support for luxuries like airshows just isn't there. Unfortunate, but it does appear to be slowly on the upswing again south of the border. Perhaps in a few years things will begin to return to normal

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I don't think the lineup warrants attending this airshow anymore. Last year was lousy. Now all you get is the customary CF-18, Aurora, a Porter plane, an aerobatic plane or two, the air Cadets towing a glider by, and maybe an F-16 if you're lucky, another Porter plane, and the Snowbirds to cap it off, then a major traffic jam if you happen to be unfortunate enough to have driven.

Let’s Go Brandon
no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

Inverted2 wrote:I don't think the lineup warrants attending this airshow anymore. Last year was lousy. Now all you get is the customary CF-18, Aurora, a Porter plane, an aerobatic plane or two, the air Cadets towing a glider by, and maybe an F-16 if you're lucky, another Porter plane, and the Snowbirds to cap it off, then a major traffic jam if you happen to be unfortunate enough to have driven.
Very true. The Snowbirds are about the only thing I want to see at that show other than the CF-18 and I find myself leaving before they are done to avoid the massive traffic jam. The gaps between performers is growing too. Times are different I guess...

Mark Rose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mark Rose »

Some people say the north end of Hanlan's Point Beach is good, but birds on the tarmac and birds with feathers might not be the only birds you see.

halfmilevis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by halfmilevis »

Ive been going to that airshow for the past 12 years... Wont be putting the effort in now... Just not worth it...

Courage is facing the challenge with a healthy fear, not being fearless - Les Stroud
FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

The show is boring for the most part. I launch my boat and make it close to those pyramid floatys until T.O water police sweats. Of course while they give one guy trouble the other just cuts through the restricted zone. That will make the loooong time between acts interesting.

no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

On a somewhat related note, I thought this rant, I mean article was pretty funny. He does this every year so I actually went looking for it.

It’s time to end the celebration of death and kill the airshow: Fiorito http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/08 ... orito.html

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Mig-17 was pretty cool to watch.

I don't know why Bombardier doesn't host anything at downsview. Might help in selling some planes. Something like a mini MAKS, Paris and Dubai Airshows. It would be a lot nicer to be able to walk up to the aircraft.

Not sure if anyone remembers the Thunder Bay Airshows (CYQT) from oh 15ish years ago? Got to sit in a couple Luftwaffe fighter jets, walked inside a C5 galaxy, C141 Starlifter, A10 warthog, f16, CF18', the aurora, and a lot more aircraft.

The air portion was also amazing. CF18 bomb run with pyro technic explosions. You could feel the heat in your face. Snowbirds, Drag Car vs Jet Drag Race. USAF Sent a B2 or F117. (Possibly both) to fly overhead.

Now THAT was an airshow.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

I don't know why Bombardier doesn't host anything at downsview. Might help in selling some planes. Something like a mini MAKS, Paris and Dubai Airshows. It would be a lot nicer to be able to walk up to the aircraft
From a pure flying perspective..YZD is too close to Pearson to have any aerial displays worth watching.
The restrictions that we put in for the CNE airshow would be a non starter for anything at Downsview. It is right on final approach or the departure tracks.
I agree that walking up to the planes would be a good selling point though.

Mark Rose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mark Rose »

Married a Canadian wrote:
I don't know why Bombardier doesn't host anything at downsview. Might help in selling some planes. Something like a mini MAKS, Paris and Dubai Airshows. It would be a lot nicer to be able to walk up to the aircraft
From a pure flying perspective..YZD is too close to Pearson to have any aerial displays worth watching.
The restrictions that we put in for the CNE airshow would be a non starter for anything at Downsview. It is right on final approach or the departure tracks.
Pearson couldn't operate on 15/33 for a day?

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

Pearson couldn't operate on 15/33 for a day?
I think the airshow airspace as we have it now for the CNE...transposed to Downsview would still make it too difficult to operate into YYZ on any configuration. I am not saying it is impossible....it would require a LOT of thought and everything would have to be coordinated to the nearest minute.
I personally believe it would take up too much room and require too much flow into YYZ to be considered an option...and I say this as a fan of airshows (when I am not controlling).

Tis a shame that from my perspective...the CNE airshow is a bit lacking this year due to the cutbacks by the military.

Return to “General Comments”