Encore AME jobs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Encore AME jobs

Post by Pat Richard »

/l\ HA HA HA HA
---------- ADS -----------

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Someone can clarify?

After five years means what? Five years experience? Five years licensed? Or five years at Encore? No ones been at Encore for five years so if there are people at step 4 5 and 6 are they 5 years licensed?

And what is the +7% is what?
Deadeye wrote: $33.10 + 7% aca AME. $36.41+7% aca Lead. $38.07 + 7%Crew Chief

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

azimuthaviation wrote:Someone can clarify?

After five years means what? Five years experience? Five years licensed? Or five years at Encore? No ones been at Encore for five years so if there are people at step 4 5 and 6 are they 5 years licensed?

And what is the +7% is what?
Deadeye wrote: $33.10 + 7% aca AME. $36.41+7% aca Lead. $38.07 + 7%Crew Chief

Ok the 7% is an ACA premium so you have to be endorsed and be given ACA authority, 7% of your hourly rate. So if you are brought in at the Starting rate ($22.48/HR) and given that shiny Q400 endorsement you've always dreamed of, you now are signing out a transport category aircraft for $24.05/HR.... The "steps" in the scale you are referring to are years at Encore. I would assume after 5 years you would probably only get cost of living raises (2% maybe, dunno). Every company does that different so they may have set structure for that. Perhaps "ScaredKnuckles" can comment seeing he is on the AMEA and is directly involved in "comp negotiations"

Encore may bring you in at higher "step" based on experience but this is very subjective I'm sure. They may have a matrix for that but I am not a 100% sure. For example, If you are 7 years licenced you may get put into Step 3 or something similar.

Here are the rates for AML and MOC also. They aren't super bad...but these positions don't come up that often.
Encore2.JPG
Encore2.JPG (50.85 KiB) Viewed 7015 times

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

But isnt ACA redundant if you have that position?

ACA AME, ACA Lead, and Crew Chief would all already have ACA? So how can someone be in those positions and not getting the +7%?

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

Like I said in my previous post anyone joining Encore is Guaranteed a course as soon as there is one you will be put in and after that you get ACA right away.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Screw that. For $24/hr I want the least amount of responsibility as possible. Get me cleaning galleys or something. :rolleyes:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
DeRated
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DeRated »

That's right. At $24/hr you will be a first year licensed AME.

//Personal attack removed by Sulako. Strike 1.

Dash8300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash8300 »

I read this forum from time to time but don’t often post.

I’ve been an AME for about 20 years and have worked for Borek, CRA, ACTS, and Avmax. I have been with WJ for about 10 years. I am a rep and have been a leader with WestJet’s AME Association (within the employee association) and a rep on the Compensation and Benefits committee. I was part of the compensation review for WJ AMEs in 2011 and participated in most of the Encore compensation review meetings that just took place. Part of my role includes research and reviewing of many collective agreements and pay scales for airlines and comparable industry positions in Canada.

I’m hoping I can clear up some of the misconceptions that have been posted on this forum about Encore wages and hiring.

Encore does not have a training bond and will not have a training bond.

The ACA rate is the same as WJ and ranges from 7 to 10% of base pay according to time with the ACA. The ACA is applied to AME, Lead and MCC positions. WJ and WJE will hire above the start rate depending on years of AME experience but typically not above step 3. The initial pay rates for Encore were low but were set so that Encore could be competitive in the regional airline market. The first few AMEs were hired as Leads with the understanding that as the company grew, they would transition from actively working on the aircraft to those leadership positions. Some of the initial positions also received bonuses. Due to the lack of Q400 AMEs in Canada and the challenges Encore had to attract applications, a compensation review was recently completed with Encore AMEs, the AMEA, Encore leadership, and WJ Compensation. We went through the same process WJ uses comparing to airline and non-airline rates. That resulted in the revised rates you’ve seen posted in this forum. Encore has successfully attracted some excellent, talented AMEs but needs to hire more to keep up with growth.

In regards to the number of steps in a pay scale, it’s better for the employee to have fewer steps and better for the employer to have more steps. If the pay range for a position starts at $10 and ends at $20, and there are only 5 steps, the employee gets to the top step much quicker. Adding steps does not mean more money in your pocket but it does mean an employer saves money by stretching the increase out over a longer period of time. Adding steps also does not mean adding more money to the top of the scale.

If you are interested in the opportunity to be part of the growth of WJ and WJ Encore, I encourage you to check out the job postings on westjet.com. If you would like to talk to the recruiter, an Encore AME, Encore leadership, or an AMEA rep to learn more about what it’s like to work here, fill out an application and let us know. There are lots of opportunities and it’s a great place to work. One of the things I’ve enjoyed most is the ability to have personal and direct conversations with leadership at all levels. (Gregg S bought me coffee this morning in the Starbucks line and we talked about recent industry news. How cool is that?)

I’m open to questions but won’t participate in pointless arguments or mudslinging.
Thanks.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

:-D :smt038

Wait...you don't hate your job and don't think everyone in this industry is stupid and wasting their time and earning potential??

...I feel like a sasquatch that has just seen bigfoot. :shock:

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

So what's so exciting, except that you've found a rare kindred spirit?

There's nothing new or game changing in that post, just that he's name dropping saretsky buying him a coffee as an example of how cool the company is.

He's the reason for this whole mess and I know of no one, in maintenance wrenching, that has ever had anything good to say about him, me included. His business plan is to compete with Greyhound with airplanes at the expense of the employee's.
Now they're having trouble carrying out expansion plans because of a mostly uninterested AME population, so there reluctantly throwing a buck an hour to attempt to address that.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

These are standard AME wages.....relatively speaking they're fine. Now don't get me wrong, the going rate for an AME these days is appalling overall, however, Encore isn't really lowballing here.

Sparkfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sparkfarmer »

Pat Richard wrote: He's the reason for this whole mess and I know of no one, in maintenance wrenching, that has ever had anything good to say about him, me included. His business plan is to compete with Greyhound with airplanes at the expense of the employee's.
Please qualify these statements? How is Greg's business plan at the expense of the employees? All the layoffs? Labour reductions? Pay cuts? Employee share plan rollbacks? Have you seen the business plan?

There certainly is no questioning that the Encore rollout didn't go smoothly for maintenance. The execs will be the first to admit it and they are interested in fixing things, which to me, is a refreshing change from the usual industry stance of "If you don't like it, leave."

This is a great place to work. It is a place thats working hard to engage it's employees in a positive, collaborative manner. It's not perfect, but it's entirely unique in this industry. It is unlike any other company I have ever worked for. The simple fact that a compensation committee was put together which consisted of AMEs illustrates this.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

How is Greg's business plan at the expense of the employees?
Expecting aircraft to be signed out/maintained for under $25 a/hr. I thought this was obvious.

Ourkid - it is lowballing, particularly when taking into account some of the bigger center's where they expect people to live, not to mention it's 2014. But don't take my word for it. Look at the lack of response they've had. Not saying they are alone, but why strive to keep company with the likes of Kelowna Flightcraft($25-$32 a/hr) or Premier(max $25 a/hr)? Oh wait....they use both companies for maintenance...interesting. Also interesting that both are also having major problems attracting mechanics.

sparkfarmer - As for being a great place to work, maybe you could go into detail how making $25 a/hr in 2014 as a qualified trades person manages to come out as being great? You can skip any references to bosses buying you a $5 coffee, or giggly coworkers. I want to know how you manage after payday, do you drive to work, have you bought a house lately, etc. the info that would be relevant to anyone who would have to resettle because they took a new position at encore.

The part of this that is really sickening to me, and has been bothering me the most lately, is the fact that there are AME's actually supporting working for these shit wages(not just encore). Contracting is the same. Where you used(10 years ago) to get $35 a/hr,accommodation, $50 perdium, transportation to and from work, I now see offered an average of $40 a/hr, that's it, and some people are taking it, why? No pride? Desperate? What makes it even more peculiar is that there's a shortage, so you think supply and demand would apply, but I guess it only takes a minority to sink that situation.

All in all, a thoroughly depressing feeling when you look to the future of aviation maintenance, particularly when looking at other trades.

Pass the koolaide..

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Glad to hear the guys working there like it, that's all that matters. There will always be places that pay more as a substitute for good working conditions but I think in the long run people tend to stay where they are happy, regardless of pay. So if Encore is making good working condition more of a priority then pay I think they and the employees will come out ahead in the long run. Of course no one knew the working conditions initially so I'm glad it worked out well for those that gambled on it.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

I don't see how it's lowballing. Sure, the wages are garbage.......but the wages are garbage everywhere. No one pays well! If they were undercutting other operations, I would agree with you.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Glad to hear the guys working there like it, that's all that matters. There will always be places that pay more as a substitute for good working conditions but I think in the long run people tend to stay where they are happy, regardless of pay.
no, that's not all that matters and all you are doing is trying to make excuses as to why they work for low wages.
why can't a place be good to work at and pay well? Why be satisfied with half? they are just helping lower the bar for ame wages. how can you not see that??? :roll: instead you support it.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Are you telling me that $24 a/hr is normal for signing out an airplane, particularly if you have previous experience? Not normal for me.

That was a new aca rate 20 years ago.

Isn't North Cariboo topping out at $38 a/hr for the right guy on the same types, in the same city?

A little more comparison with regards to YYC employment
Brandell Diesel is a rapidly growing heavy truck repair shop with an exciting opportunity for the right mechanically inclined individual with strong supervisory and organization skills.

Who We Are
Our motto, common sense service – we take this seriously. Ownership has a strong background in service & maintenance and our goal is to be the best heavy truck shop in town. We started 2 years ago and have been steadily growing

We are now at the limit of our present facility
-Our facility – 8000 sq/ft shop (8-9 trucks)
-Complete selections of specialty tools and the latest diag software and hardware
-Shop Operating software – a user-friendly shop management program with computers at every workstation

Our shop staff- 8 technicians, 1 helper, 2 parts techs and 1 parts driver

Specialized Services - Heavy truck service and repair, In-frame overhauls, Extensive engine work, Custom tuning and emission refit systems, Agg & Off-Rad Equipment tuning, truck mounted crane service and repair.

Our Future – we are presently looking at a new facility better suited to the rapid growth we are experiencing.

We Offer
Competitive pay and benefit package including performance based bonus, along with profit share or shares in company.

$40-45.00/hr
$3000.00 Signing bonus, Holiday time negotiable
44hr weeks with OT avaliable
Paid Training
Tool allowance Yearly
Boot allowance Yearly
Full Benefits start when you do
Christmas Bonus
Gas cards
All expenses Paid Holiday After 2 years Employment
Offer 1000.00 bonus when you bring other skilled techs to the team

Email in your resume
Brandon@brandelldiesel.com
wonder if it's a good place to work at and if the boss buys coffee.

that's what really matters. :lol:

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

chowda wrote:
Glad to hear the guys working there like it, that's all that matters. There will always be places that pay more as a substitute for good working conditions but I think in the long run people tend to stay where they are happy, regardless of pay.
no, that's not all that matters and all you are doing is trying to make excuses as to why they work for low wages.
why can't a place be good to work at and pay well? Why be satisfied with half? they are just helping lower the bar for ame wages. how can you not see that??? :roll: instead you support it.
Alright since we are dual income I am underestimating how much it matters to have a decent wage, and it did suck watching my electrician friend rapidly move up the pay scale every year as an apprentice while I was stuck sub 20. But I also recognize that when you have to choose between low paying job and no job there just isn't much choice. If we are going to fight for a wage increase the high time/well paid guys are going to lead the charge because the low paid, less experienced ones just don't have the option especially if you have a young family and didn't get into real estate early. I think the biggest thing we could do though is start telling new students how limited the employment and how poor the wage. The colleges pump out to many grads who are then kind of fk'd because they can't afford to go back for another 2 years of school. If it is possible to reduce government subsidies for those programs because of the lack of demand for graduates then we might actually make some progress.

Last edited by YYCAME on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

One of the earlier posts mentions that if you have previous experience, they will typically bring you in at Step 3. That's 27.14/hr according to the 2014 chart......if you're signing out work, then you'll have to be endorsed so that carries a 7% premium. If my math is correct, you will be at 29.04/hr not 24.

This is about right for a fairly new employee at a regional airline who is recently ACA'd. I'm NOT arguing that this is right, but it's the way it is. Perhaps North Cariboo is offering more, I am not sure and I hope that this is true. However, compared to just about everyone else out there including Air Canada, it's not a lowball in the regional market. As long as people continue to work for this money, it will be the going rate.

Like I said, I'm not happy about it either.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

thats more along the lines of where im coming from, yycame. I figured you most likely are a dual income house, but even then depending on what the other half makes it could be really tough. I think quite likely it would be hard as a single new hire having to relocate. i guess the only part i dont get is having to take a low paying job like encore fixing airplanes. i know you can drive forklift, among other semi skilled positions, in calgary for at least as much so i dont know why any ame has no choice. i think its more scared to step away from what they know more than anything else. really dont see a appropriate reason other than being horny for westjet.

Return to “Maintenance”